Where To Buy A Good Quality Espresso Machine

sarahJ

Wawee coffee has almost left me broke - just kidding - can anybody suggest where to go to buy a good quality espresso machine for home. So far I've looked in Central, Bakermart and Index. The ones i've seen look a bit flimsy. Any suggestions?

We just did the run around looking for a coffee machine for our cafe. Boncafe in Chang Klan Road had a selection of domestic machines from Saeco but think the cheapest one was about 12,000 baht. I saw the Electrolux at a place opposite the new Rimping which, as one poster said, was about 7,000 baht but it was pretty flimsy I thought compared to some others. In the end we got a machine from Bona coffee in Bangkok. They have a website and they GUARANTEE to be the cheapest anywhere in Thailand and they are correct in that statement. The machine we bought was 21,900 + 150 baht postage. The SAME machine, exactly the same, at Hill Coffee here in Chiang Mai was 28,000 baht!!! You get what you pay for I guess but worth shopping around in any case but check out Bona, we cannot fault their quick service. Paid for Tuesday via ATM, here Wednesday lunchtime.

Wawee coffee has almost left me broke - just kidding - can anybody suggest where to go to buy a good quality espresso machine for home. So far I've looked in Central, Bakermart and Index. The ones i've seen look a bit flimsy. Any suggestions?

Haven't seen anything in Chiang Mai... but I happened to be at the Emporium mall in BKK the other day and their coffee section blew me away. They had vacuum brew coffee makers, and even some La Pavoni, manual-style espresso makers. Probably overkill for most folks, but if you want the best and are truly your own barista, they are the way to go, as I found out when I acquired one a few years ago.

Of course, I think the price was close to 60,000 baht, quite a mark up from the $600 or so you could spend in the states.

If you happen to making a trip down there, it would be worth checking out... and again, sorry, haven't seen anything here in CM.

Edited by mild7even

They have a few in Siam TV although that was a few months ago. Otherwise Bon Cafe is the other place.

Probably Powerbuy in Airport Plaza?

There are many places in BKK of course.

I am really fussy about coffee when I go out but at home seem to manage with one of the plunger things.

Its saves having to wash a big machine!

As a side issue but not directly related to coffee machines. I prefer a French Press Coffee machine - aka a coffee plunger. I can get them from Starbucks but they are furiously expensive. Cheap and almost nasty ones are in Rimping but what I really want is the original Bodum press. Made in Denmark and either plastic or metal (chromed) frame.

Has anyone seen them here in Chiang Mai and if so where?

thanks

As a side issue I use a Breville machine which does a full esspresso and also cappuchino/latte. The machine is solid steel with plastic covers and heavy. It has an internal watertank, I would not use it in a cafe but for home use it is good. It builds up steam quickly so the esspresso is done first and the milk steamed up without the coffee going cold. I have seen the same machine (mine came in from Oz) in Nihon Panich by the airport plazza.

CB

As a side issue but not directly related to coffee machines. I prefer a French Press Coffee machine - aka a coffee plunger. I can get them from Starbucks but they are furiously expensive. Cheap and almost nasty ones are in Rimping but what I really want is the original Bodum press. Made in Denmark and either plastic or metal (chromed) frame.

thanks

As a side issue I use a Breville machine which does a full esspresso and also cappuchino/latte. The machine is solid steel with plastic covers and heavy. It has an internal watertank, I would not use it in a cafe but for home use it is good. It builds up steam quickly so the esspresso is done first and the milk steamed up without the coffee going cold. I have seen the same machine (mine came in from Oz) in Nihon Panich by the airport plazza.

CB

I'm on my third coffee press as I haven't found anyplace to buy replacements for the glass that inevitably cracks at some point. You know where I can buy just the glass and not a whole 'nother press?

Starbucks coffee machines are 18,000 Baht, and they give you free lessons in how to use them. I had one at my previous restaurant and it sure made great coffee...though I don't claim to be a coffee expert as previous posters know a lot more about coffee than me.

I just love Starbucks Coffeee

As an addict of the espresso coffe, it has been the true first "thing" I bought when I setteled in CM...

Find it in Home Pro (opposite Carrefour entrance, same floor, just up right hand the elevator) a pretty good Electolux espresso-machine. Not professional of course, but very efficient for a home use. Very strong pump; stainless steel body with plastic tank behind... Makes a nice light brown thick "foam" over the coffee... And the perfume! Yum, yum!

Better taste in my opinion if you ground the coffee very, very fine (like a powder).

Price about 7,000 Bahts or so... Same price in Europe.

For the coffee, Rimping (michok/Maprao road) have a very tasteful coffee "espresso" for sale at 39 Bahts/100 gr. Grinding free on site...

Good luck and... good taste!

....and as a side issue reply :o I just happen to have a brand new boxed Bodum, see below. Make me an offer and it's yours :D

post-7622-1189040129_thumb.jpg

thanks

CB

I'm on my third coffee press as I haven't found anyplace to buy replacements for the glass that inevitably cracks at some point. You know where I can buy just the glass and not a whole 'nother press?

I brought over with me from Oz 1xlarge Bodum coffee press, 2 x small, a teapot, replacement glasses for the large and small pots. I also had the glasses. Figured they would last me for quite a while. When I moved from my old house to the new one the box containing it was put on top of everything on a friends truck. Somewhere between there and here it fell off the truck (litterally) and I havn't been able to replace them. Also in the box was my good kitchen knife set and a few other things.

I have tried to find the Bodum presses here and was told they are available in Bangkok but not Chiang Mai. The Starbucks one is made by Bodum but is 1800 baht and they don't stock replacement glass.

CB

Starbucks coffee machines are 18,000 Baht, and they give you free lessons in how to use them. I had one at my previous restaurant and it sure made great coffee...though I don't claim to be a coffee expert as previous posters know a lot more about coffee than me.

I just love Starbucks Coffeee

I am sorry but to me that sounds like going to MacDonalds to learn how to make a great hamburger.

CB

Edited by Crow Boy

Well, it depends what you mean by "good" and what kind of person you are. If you really get into espresso, you will soon find that what most people are talking about here doesn't come close to being good. The first thing I recommend is to determine what kind of machine you want i.e., manual, semi-auto or fully-auto. You will also need a quality burr grinder (perhaps as important as the machine to good espresso). I got a La Pavoni grinder and lever pull machine at Verasu in BKK and quickly outgrew it; BTW, the section in Emporium's housewares with the La Pavoni stuff is actually managed by Verasu. Read this article before you buy:

http://www.coffeegeek.com/guides/howtobuyanespressomachine

I'm on my third coffee press as I haven't found anyplace to buy replacements for the glass that inevitably cracks at some point.

There are coffee presses and there are coffee presses. You need to one that has 'pyrex' stamped on the glass. These shouldn't crack, unless you drop them.

The Bodum models are quality made with pyrex glass.

Spot on there MM, good Pyrex should last you years. I bought a couple back some time ago, and still on my first one, and now that Crow Boy has taken the spare, you just watch me drop mine tomorrow :o Sod's law reigns :D

Spot on there MM, good Pyrex should last you years. I bought a couple back some time ago, and still on my first one, and now that Crow Boy has taken the spare, you just watch me drop mine tomorrow :o Sod's law reigns :D

If you do break it, let me know and I will give you a good price on a replacement :D

CB

Given that it's for home use, you won't want the mega-bucks commercial machines - unless you're also into paying for the "art" status symbol. I can highly recommend the Buono TSK819 - available as online mail order from Verasu & currently on offer for B7,920. Bought mine a month ago after my ancient Krups espresso/filter combination started giving me problems - and the Buono's espresso is way better than the Krups ever produced.......... Plus it's built well, even has a cup warmer shelf on the top, 15 bar pressure, 2 cup pour etc etc.

http://www.verasu.com/Thai_version/product...productid=46186

alternatives here: http://www.verasu.com/Thai_version/Product...atname=Espresso

Talking of espresso - any recommendations for brands/sources of the coffee itself...... either as beans or ground?

In the UK, I used to be very happy with Lavazza Rosso (cheapest in the range) but I haven't seen it here - only the Lavazza d'Oro (way expensive - as is Illy). I tried Suzuki, Moccona, Boncafe, Hillkoff and a few others I'm happy to forget - none of them particularly interesting. Ideally, given that the stuff's grown here, I'd like to find a good Thai version. So far, I favour Giovanni and sometimes The Coffee Bean espresso - both sold at Rimping and both quite cheap compared to the others. Having said that, I'm happy to pay more for something special - just not the B400-ish for Lavazza & Illy.

:o:D

Talking of espresso - any recommendations for brands/sources of the coffee itself...... either as beans or ground?

Have you tried Duang Dee? A friend of mine in Pai whipped some up using his commercial espresso machine and I was impressed. Not sure which version of Duang Dee it was (apparently they have three blends), but it was strong, very much like a French roast, so I am assuming it was their darkest roast.

Nobody has mentioned the BEST coffee machine and coffee supplier in Chiang Mai. They are set up to supply the professional end of the market but have smaller machines too and plenty of accessories including coffee presses and grinders etc.

They are set back a bit from the road in the little one way street almost directly opposite Chang Puak hospital. They are currently refurbishing an old, 1949/1950 Gaggia machine for me.

(My machine is believed to have been the first to be imported into the UK, just 12-18 months after Achille Gaggia set up his famous company and started the international craze for espresso & cappuccino etc.It was originally in one of London's most famous Itallian restaurants.)

Have you tried Duang Dee? A friend of mine in Pai whipped some up using his commercial espresso machine and I was impressed. Not sure which version of Duang Dee it was (apparently they have three blends), but it was strong, very much like a French roast, so I am assuming it was their darkest roast.

Interesting thought........... Just tried an espresso made with the Duang Dee "Extra Smooth" (dark brown box and my long-time favourite for filter/cafetiere)........ not bad as espresso - but still not quite it.

BTW, just roasting dark isn't really what true espresso is about - good espresso description here: http://www.coffeeresearch.org/espresso/roasting.htm

Nobody has mentioned the BEST coffee machine and coffee supplier in Chiang Mai. They are set up to supply the professional end of the market but have smaller machines too and plenty of accessories including coffee presses and grinders etc.
They are set back a bit from the road in the little one way street almost directly opposite Chang Puak hospital.

On Bamrungburi? The soi at the end of Buak Had park?

They are currently refurbishing an old, 1949/1950 Gaggia machine for me. (My machine is believed to have been the first to be imported into the UK, just 12-18 months after Achille Gaggia set up his famous company and started the international craze for espresso & cappuccino etc.It was originally in one of London's most famous Itallian restaurants.)

Now THAT is street credibility.

These sorts of questions would be much more easily answered if you would just pin a thread at the head of the CM forum called "Ask P1p" People can then post a question such as "where can I get a replacement gudgeon pin for a MG TC series two?" and then wait for you to give us the details. Saves the rest of us putting up posts such as "have you tried ......."

So when is the machine going to be ready to fire up - I want to try a cappuchino from this beast. I saw some in Italy and Melbourne Australia that are antiques but still in working condition. They are decorated "oh so tastefully" with golden eagles and rococco styling so typical of that era. Fantastic coffee, the milk and the coffee extract tastes different to the modern machines. In a restaurant I worked a long time ago they had a machine with three long punp handles - one for each spiggot. The trick was to pull the handle down at a special speed, hold and then release it to allow the pressure to push it back. Done right the exact correct amount of coffee extract for different drinks came out. Done too fast it was bitter and weak with no crema, too slow and it was too much. The barrista there told me that in Italy it was a 3-5 year apprenticeship to make coffee and that it took about 500 cups of bad coffee to start to get it right. The other thing I remember about that machine was that it had a pressure release valve that would suddenly go off like a siren as super heated steam shot vertically into the air. You had to remember to never put cups or saucers on top of the valve and that it had to be pulled apart and cleaned every day.

CB

Off topic, I know....but this reminds me of when I lived in Bali in the late 70's.

I had a maid named Agung who would show up early at my house, borrow the motorsai, and go to the dawn market.

Around 8 AM, I would awake to the smell of fresh green coffee beans, being slowly roasted in a large cast iron skillet contraption.

All done by hand, over a propane stove burner. Then the fresh roasted beans were put through a hand-cranked coffee mill.

Oh, and did I mention the live bay shrimp, still wiggling when she bought them, that she folded into a perfect omelette made with just laid eggs? This Is Called Heaven On Earth...... :D

A second to CB's recommendation of Duang Dee coffee. Not perhaps what you're looking for for the espresso machine, etc. but nonetheless a very decent dark roast, 100% Arabica bean, and it supports the hill tribes who produce it (and who no longer produce another product that they have been weaned from). I like the "Unique Strong Flavor!" blend..... :o

McG

Edited by mcgriffith

A second to CB's recommendation of Duang Dee coffee. Not perhaps what you're looking for for the espresso machine, etc. but nonetheless a very decent dark roast, 100% Arabica bean, and it supports the hill tribes who produce it (and who no longer produce another product that they have been weaned from). I like the "Unique Strong Flavor!" blend..... :o

I like the Duang Dee coffee and it is my standard stock coffee at home. For the expresso machine though it is a little too coarse. Instead I buy the same brand but in whole beans then grind it at the Rimping Supermarket where I buy it. Because I don't use as much of it and being fine ground I keep the coffee in an airtight container and store it in the freezer compartment of the refridgerator.

As a side note to this, where my g/f comes from near Pai, they have coffee trees growing all over the village. I was told they were encouraged to invest in planting them by the previous government who happily set them up with sellers of the trees and made low interest loans on the purchase. Then when the crops came the buyers were offering only 5 baht per kilo of green beans. The cost of getting it out of the village was higher so now the beans just fall onto the ground and rot. Same thing happened to them when the government got into a deal with China to exchange Longan fruit for military weapons. To support the scheme and under encouragement from the then government, the village spent money and effort to plant extra trees plus set up all the things needed to dry the fruit. Government officials came up, presented them with certificates and told them what a great thing they were doing for Thailand etc. Then the money disapeared with the buyers who oddly enough all seemed to be associated with a now banned political party.

CB

Interesting thought........... Just tried an espresso made with the Duang Dee "Extra Smooth" (dark brown box and my long-time favourite for filter/cafetiere)........ not bad as espresso - but still not quite it.

BTW, just roasting dark isn't really what true espresso is about - good espresso description here: http://www.coffeeresearch.org/espresso/roasting.htm

Agree, an espresso roast is a medium roast... for myself, I prefer it a bit more bitter and "spicy", rather than sweet, hence my preference for darker roasts, including the French roast. As for it not being "true" espresso... well, I think that whatever people prefer is good to go.

A few years ago, I had an espresso from Starbucks at the Night Bazaar. It was so completely foul--watery and weak. Across the street, in the McDonald's plaza, there is a guy with a mobile coffee cart and I gave it a shot. He used the French roast beans without even asking me, and it was a great drink.

Agree, an espresso roast is a medium roast... for myself, I prefer it a bit more bitter and "spicy", rather than sweet, hence my preference for darker roasts, including the French roast. As for it not being "true" espresso... well, I think that whatever people prefer is good to go.

A few years ago, I had an espresso from Starbucks at the Night Bazaar. It was so completely foul--watery and weak. Across the street, in the McDonald's plaza, there is a guy with a mobile coffee cart and I gave it a shot. He used the French roast beans without even asking me, and it was a great drink.

Yep - it's down to personal taste. I wasn't trying to be snotty about what makes "true" espresso - any more than I'm tempted to get hung up on paying mega-bucks for a Ducati-Maserati-HokyCoky2000 machine......... :D . That said, the right bean given the right roast treatment is more likely to achieve what we think of as espresso - even allowing that other beans/roasts can happen to get close - e.g. your coffee cart guy with whatever he used?

As I suspect that many TV members have stopped looking at this thread because of the machine subject, I'm going to re-post the question about espresso coffee recommendations as a separate topic [after all - there must be nearly as many espresso lovers as pizza & burger connoisseurs in Chiang Mai :D ]. Just one last point about espresso machines: because of the process, it's really not worth buying any machine that delivers less than 15 bar pressure - you're just not going to get the force required to extract the coffee flavours. After that it's down to budget, personal taste for chromed steel etc etc.......... :o

Any recommendations for where to buy good espresso coffee for use in my home machine - either beans from a store or maybe ready-ground as a packed brand?

In the UK, I used to be very happy with Lavazza Rosso (cheapest in the range) but I haven't seen it here - only the Lavazza d'Oro (way expensive - as is Illy). I tried Suzuki, Moccona, Boncafe, Hillkoff and a few other brands I'm happy to forget - none of them particularly interesting/worth the money. Ideally, given that the stuff's grown here, I'd like to find a good Thai version. So far, I favour Giovanni and sometimes The Coffee Bean espresso - both sold at Rimping and, coincidentally, both quite cheap compared to the others. Having said that, I'm happy to pay more for something special - just not the B400-ish for Lavazza & Illy.

[ I previously posted this on the tail end of the espresso machine thread and I suspect that many TV members had already passed it by - hence re-posting it as a separate topic now.........after all there must be nearly as many espresso lovers as pizza & burger connoisseurs in Chiang Mai :o ].

:D:D