Marrying A Thai Citizen In Australia

I have a few questions about marrying a Thai citizen in Australia, would appreciate it if anyone has some info or some views.

Some background, my Thai GF and I intend to marry mid next year. Currently she lives in Thailand and I live somewhere else that isn't Australia. We will have the buddhist ceromony in Thailand with her family and then latter have the 'legal' mariage in Australia with my family. After the wedding we intend to live in a 3rd party country. The visa for there is not an issue I am worried about at the moment.

So the questions, does anyone know if a tourist visa is sufficent for a person to marry in Australia, considering she won't be residing in Australia afterwards? My gut feeling would be it would be ok. Now if it is ok to marry on a tourist visa, is there any advantage to applying for a prospective marriage visa instead as we do intend to move back to Australia in around 5 years time or is it better to just wait and apply for spouse visa when we are ready to return? Also does anyone know if there are any special procedures for a Thai to marry an Australian in Australia, like the ones when an Aussie marries in Thailand?

I have a few questions about marrying a Thai citizen in Australia, would appreciate it if anyone has some info or some views.

Some background, my Thai GF and I intend to marry mid next year. Currently she lives in Thailand and I live somewhere else that isn't Australia. We will have the buddhist ceromony in Thailand with her family and then latter have the 'legal' mariage in Australia with my family. After the wedding we intend to live in a 3rd party country. The visa for there is not an issue I am worried about at the moment.

So the questions, does anyone know if a tourist visa is sufficent for a person to marry in Australia, considering she won't be residing in Australia afterwards? My gut feeling would be it would be ok. Now if it is ok to marry on a tourist visa, is there any advantage to applying for a prospective marriage visa instead as we do intend to move back to Australia in around 5 years time or is it better to just wait and apply for spouse visa when we are ready to return? Also does anyone know if there are any special procedures for a Thai to marry an Australian in Australia, like the ones when an Aussie marries in Thailand?

You can marry on a tourist visa.....the Notice of Intention to Marry must be signed at least one month before the wedding date with the person conducting the wedding.

My thoughts are that you would be better to apply for a spouse visa when you are ready to return,

She will need her passport, A notice of freedom to marry (she can get this from her Amphur and you can get it translated) or a stat dec from her stating she is free to marry. Divorce papers if she was registered married before.

She will need a translator for the ceremony, it only needs to be someone who can translate not an official translator, this person will need to sign a form at the ceremony to state they have translated to the best of their ability.

I have just married my wife here in May, she was on a tourist visa.

Contact one of the celebrants from Vinny's links from the area where you intend to marry....they will be able to answer all your questions

Edited by gburns57au

You can marry on a tourist visa.....the Notice of Intention to Marry must be signed at least one month before the wedding date with the person conducting the wedding.

My thoughts are that you would be better to apply for a spouse visa when you are ready to return,

She will need her passport, A notice of freedom to marry (she can get this from her Amphur and you can get it translated) or a stat dec from her stating she is free to marry. Divorce papers if she was registered married before.

She will need a translator for the ceremony, it only needs to be someone who can translate not an official translator, this person will need to sign a form at the ceremony to state they have translated to the best of their ability.

I have just married my wife here in May, she was on a tourist visa.

Contact one of the celebrants from Vinny's links from the area where you intend to marry....they will be able to answer all your questions

Thanks guys for advice. Didn't think it would be too hard.

Just one futher question, what does the translator do at the ceremony. My GF is quite fluent in English, shit her writting ability is better than mine? If it is a legal requirement any recomendations for how I find one (Canberra area?).

Thanks guys for advice. Didn't think it would be too hard.

Just one futher question, what does the translator do at the ceremony. My GF is quite fluent in English, shit her writting ability is better than mine? If it is a legal requirement any recomendations for how I find one (Canberra area?).

The translator needs only to ensure that the bride understands the legal aspects of the wedding. You dont need a registered translator merely a Thai/English speaker. I would think that if she can show the celebrant that she understands the legal bits (there are two sections required by law in the ceremony) then one may not be needed at all.

Any Thai legal documents translated in Australia would have to be carried out by a NAATI Accredited Translator, this service may cost up to AUD80+GST per A4 page and is dependant on the amount of time required to do the translations.

It may be more cost effective to get them done in Bangkok before travelling to Australia to get married

After five years your wife could return to live in Australia after applying for the subclass 100 offshore (provided you still meet the criteria for this visa).

IMHO one would recommend marriage in Thailand at the Amphur Office.

I have a friend who married an Asian (not Thai) in Australia. Both are from good & wealthy families and of a similar age. When applying for a tourist visa at the Australian consulate, as soon as they heard they were going to Australia to get married, the tourist visa was denied! The verbal reason given was 'risk of overstay'! After appealing to the main embassy, a tourist visa was ultimately granted, but not without a lot of fuss - examination of bank records, land titles and they even made the poor girl have x-rays taken! And only for a tourist visa!!!

Would suggest NOT advising of intent to marry when applying for the tourist visa. Just apply for a visa as normal and then get married in Australia - there's no restriction on doing that once you're in the country.

iang

you are quite correct there, if you advise the Australian Embassy you are intending to get married DIAC will want to know why a prospective spouse visa is not being applied for and of course they are on the watch for potential overstayers even if your intentions appear innocent.

Once in the country you can get married on 1 months notice. But you must leave Australia before your visa 676 expires.

Thanks for the advice guys, gives me and the GF some futher things to think about. The tourist visa issue is an interesting one. I personally would have been fully honest, stating the reason for the trip was to get married, but after getting married we would be leaving Aus to live overseas until my contract runs which is years away. I would have thought it was a good reason to visit and a compelling reason to leave. It will be her first visit to Aus, but she does have a good visa complience record of returning to Thailand, having been o/s about 8 times in 2 years and never been away from Thailand for more than 4 weeks at a time.

Will also have a chat to a celebrant closer to the date about the translator issue and see what she thinks. My GF has good English having studied English/business management at uni, but it is sound advice I will follow up on.

Anyway thanks again guys for you advice and opinions, sometimes just asking simple questions helps and triggers more issues to think about.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the advice guys, gives me and the GF some futher things to think about. The tourist visa issue is an interesting one. I personally would have been fully honest, stating the reason for the trip was to get married, but after getting married we would be leaving Aus to live overseas until my contract runs which is years away. I would have thought it was a good reason to visit and a compelling reason to leave. It will be her first visit to Aus, but she does have a good visa complience record of returning to Thailand, having been o/s about 8 times in 2 years and never been away from Thailand for more than 4 weeks at a time.

Will also have a chat to a celebrant closer to the date about the translator issue and see what she thinks. My GF has good English having studied English/business management at uni, but it is sound advice I will follow up on.

Anyway thanks again guys for you advice and opinions, sometimes just asking simple questions helps and triggers more issues to think about.

Hi not need to have a translator for wedding unless she cant speak or understand english, we didnt have one and wasnt issue at all...you can also get married on tourist visa without any problems.

I applied in Thailand for my girlfriend and she got a 12 month TV with mutilple entry.

on her second trip july 07 we got married in church and then applied for spouse visa no problem. now she has bridging visa should have new PR visa by mid OCtober.

notice of intent to marry form has to be filled out and signed 31 days prior to marriage with whoever will marry you

Enjoy and good luck

• 4 weeks later...
Hi not need to have a translator for wedding unless she cant speak or understand english, we didnt have one and wasnt issue at all...you can also get married on tourist visa without any problems.

I applied in Thailand for my girlfriend and she got a 12 month TV with mutilple entry.

on her second trip july 07 we got married in church and then applied for spouse visa no problem. now she has bridging visa should have new PR visa by mid OCtober.

notice of intent to marry form has to be filled out and signed 31 days prior to marriage with whoever will marry you

Enjoy and good luck

It is funny I should see this reply, as I have just received one from the celebrant I have choosen with the same advice. So long as he is happy she understands then no problem. I cannot see him any issue so should be good. Date now set for Feb which will be good.