Our Dinner Tonight

thaigerd

• 2 weeks later...

Had a piece of Thai shoulder beef in the freezer that I decided not to take a chance on roasting for visitors.

Gerd, the recipe was not faithfully followed, due to some ingredients being unobtainable, and I added carrots but was still eaten to the last slice.

Served with mashed spud and plain cabbage chopped small and sizzled in butter with chopped onion and bacon.

Liquid in the pan was considerably reduced after this was taken, beef was really tender.

post-38081-1190733929_thumb.jpg

I used to love Alberta Grade A steaks and prime rib, but after being in Asia so long, it tastes funny now. Maybe too many antibiotics or ? I find most foods here have an aftertaste.

Probably so used to Asian flavoring and spices... in North America very few things seem to have as much flavor as Asian food.

Just be glad you don't have to go back to English food :o Personally I'd kill for some great prime rib...

Had a piece of Thai shoulder beef in the freezer that I decided not to take a chance on roasting for visitors.

Gerd, the recipe was not faithfully followed, due to some ingredients being unobtainable, and I added carrots but was still eaten to the last slice.

Served with mashed spud and plain cabbage chopped small and sizzled in butter with chopped onion and bacon.

Liquid in the pan was considerably reduced after this was taken, beef was really tender.

Looks very nice, congratulations!

For how long did you braise it?

Gerd

Looks very nice, congratulations!

For how long did you braise it?

Gerd

Well, when I thought it was nearly there I put the potatoes on, took the lid off the meat and turned the hot plate up a smidgen... I had the cabbage ingredients ready to go so went upstairs to the balcony to have a pre dinner drink (or two) with the guests and watch the sky turn red, dark blue and then black... remembered the food, rushed down stairs to cook the cabbage then slice the meat, which was at the perfect stage... tender enough to slice without falling apart. I suppose about three hours, maybe three and a half. Not including the browning process.

Another great recipe from you Gerd.

• 6 months later...
What else a man can do on a nice sunday afternoon..........cooking for the family :o

Wife washed the car this morning and it's now my turn(as usual).

Braised beef in a onion-tomato gravy, red cabbage and home made mashed potatoes.

What a great smell all over the house when you start frying the beef with the onions and tomatoes, hmmmmm.

Wife seems to be hungry already, beef is not 50% finished and wanted to cook he potatoes for the mash....

Here are some pics:

med_gallery_2733_531_127600.jpg

Yes, I know I am too lazy to use fresh red cabbage :D

gallery_2733_531_305191.jpg

Perfect piece of beef!

gallery_2733_531_235691.jpg

seasoned with salt and fresh grounded black pepper, getting a nice brown colour

gallery_2733_531_65222.jpg

adding the onion and tomatoes, cover the pan, lower the heat

gallery_2733_531_312173.jpg

cooking te red cabbage with onions, bayleaves, cloves, juniper and a shot of red wine.

gallery_2733_531_402246.jpg

when beef, tomatoes&onions having a brown colour add some water(and some Knorr beef)

gallery_2733_531_255003.jpg

now let it simmer until soft, add some water from time to time

gallery_2733_531_467858.jpg

Final result will come earl evening!

Gerd

Makin my own version of this tonight using the cheap "beef remnants" from tops.

Let you know how it goes. :D

In the end, it came out really good despite the 'low quality' beef remnants, because it softened as I simmered it for 2 and a half hours.

Actually, Tops is a VERY EXPENSIVE supermarket if you don't have their so called 'discount' card... which really isn't a discount card because if you have it, the stuff becomes the same price as other supermarkets; but if you don't have it, everything's expensive.

This even applies to the really UGLY Tops supermarkets (the one with the yellow and red signage).

Unfortunately, no other supermarket nearby.

Wish there was a Villa or a Foodland here.

So far, am I correct in observing that Foodland seems to have the most reasonably priced local beef in Bangkok? (Other than a wet market) :o

What else a man can do on a nice sunday afternoon..........cooking for the family :D

Braised beef in a onion-tomato gravy, red cabbage and home made mashed potatoes.

What a great smell all over the house when you start frying the beef with the onions and tomatoes, hmmmmm.

Wife seems to be hungry already, beef is not 50% finished and wanted to cook he potatoes for the mash....

Here are some pics:

Perfect piece of beef!

cooking te red cabbage with onions, bayleaves, cloves, juniper and a shot of red wine.

when beef, tomatoes&onions having a brown colour add some water(and some Knorr beef)

Gerd

the most successful Farang-managed restaurant in Pattaya is arguably "BEI GERHARD".

it seems the time is ripe for Phuket now to have something similar: "BEI GERD" :o

Believe it or not: Many moons ago I've had a place in Pattaya "BEI GERD" Soi 14, left side.

About 2 or 3 years ago I've had my lunch at BEI GERHARD: Very very good quality and cheap.

May be some of the old Pattaya members remember the NAKLUA GRILL??? Yes, it was me.....good old times.

Gerd

• 5 weeks later...
What else a man can do on a nice sunday afternoon..........cooking for the family :o

Here are some pics:

Perfect piece of beef!

Gerd

Hi Gerd, would you be kind enough to donate a couple of your recipes to a global cook book a friend of mine is compiling in order to raise money to build a new school in Yasothon ?

They would be much appreciated.

Thanks.