Gyms In Chiang Mai

thaimiller

can anyone tell me of any gym's in chiang mai, i would rather have a bodybuilding gym than a fitness centre such as califonia.

i have heard of one near chiang mai gate at only 20 bhat a day where they just have mainly free weights, but having a scoot round yesterday i couldn't find it, any ideas will be welcomed.

thaimiller,

Try this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...enter+ChiangMai

BTW, a note to Mods and George.

When I first read this query from a new member, I immediately thought "Don't these new members know how to use the search function?" SO, putting myself in the role of Mr/Ms Newbie, I tried to search the forum for "gyms in Chiang Mai". Got the standard error message: "One or more words less than four characters". So I tried: "Gyms ChiangMai" with no space....nada. Then I tried: "Fitness Center ChiangMai" (again no space between "Chiang" and "Mai". Bingo, got the above result.

To be honest, I can now see why newbies sometimes post queries for questions that have been covered exhaustively in the past. I don't know if there is any way to improve or modify this search function, as it is not too user friendly. No criticism implied; it is certainly better than having no search function..... :o

McG

thaimiller,

Try this thread:

When I first read this query from a new member, I immediately thought "Don't these new members know how to use the search function?" SO, putting myself in the role of Mr/Ms Newbie, I tried to search the forum for "gyms in Chiang Mai". Got the standard error message: "One or more words less than four characters". So I tried: "Gyms ChiangMai" with no space....nada. Then I tried: "Fitness Center ChiangMai" (again no space between "Chiang" and "Mai". Bingo, got the above result.

To be honest, I can now see why newbies sometimes post queries for questions that have been covered exhaustively in the past. I don't know if there is any way to improve or modify this search function, as it is not too user friendly. No criticism implied; it is certainly better than having no search function..... :o

McG

Yes, thank you. I have wasted time with the search function before too, so I don't really blame those who fire off a quick question without studying the archives. Besides, the greatest source of clutter on this forum is not repetitive questions from newbies. It's the chatter between long-time members who are joking with each other. Hey, it's all fine with me. The forum serves different purposes for different people. I enjoy the variety of comments, as long as they're polite, with a sense of humour.

To be fair, thaimiller may also have searched for gyms and found that long thread about fitness centers--and he specifically said he wanted a muscle place, not a fitness center. A couple months ago I had to go through that thread to find what I needed--a simple muscle gym with some free weights and no messing around with a bunch of people flirting with each other.

I go to the gym at the municipal stadium. It's under the bleachers on the east side of the stadium, open during the day, except for around 11:30 to 1:15 for lunch. Someone said it was a 500 baht annual fee, and then 20 baht a day after that, but I found that there was no annual fee. Maybe speaking some Thai with the guy at the desk smoothed that over, I don't know.

They have free weights, benches, chairs, etc., and the traditional machines. No air conditioning or other fluff. If you want to run you can always run around the track--no treadmills.

Haven't heard about this one close to Chiang Mai gate--let us know if you find anything thaimiller.

I appreciate your tolerance (and patience) Due East, as I certainly am one of the biggest offenders (re: chit chat).

You are absolutely right, we are all on here for different purposes, the new folk are (often) Desperately Seeking Susan, or need gardening equipment.

And a lot of the long time members are just joking and joshing with one another.

We are all a community, and everyone is welcome! :o

McG

I go to the gym at the municipal stadium. It's under the bleachers on the east side of the stadium, open during the day, except for around 11:30 to 1:15 for lunch. Someone said it was a 500 baht annual fee, and then 20 baht a day after that, but I found that there was no annual fee. Maybe speaking some Thai with the guy at the desk smoothed that over, I don't know.

They have free weights, benches, chairs, etc., and the traditional machines. No air conditioning or other fluff. If you want to run you can always run around the track--no treadmills.

Yeah, that track is great. Why would anyone want a treadmill when you have a 400m racing track just outside?

Regarding the annaul fee, I belive it's for membership. Members pay half the price of non-members per

session, thus you'd pay 10 baht instead of 20 baht.

To be fair, thaimiller may also have searched for gyms and found that long thread about fitness centers--and he specifically said he wanted a muscle place, not a fitness center. A couple months ago I had to go through that thread to find what I needed--a simple muscle gym with some free weights and no messing around with a bunch of people flirting with each other.

Haven't heard about this one close to Chiang Mai gate--let us know if you find anything thaimiller.

Does the no fluff mean no showers? I go to the gym in Kad Suan Kaew and after a workout walk back through the shopping mall rosy pink and dripping sweat not a pretty sight!

thaimiller,

Try this thread:

McG

Try TV's Google search top left, McG... accepts any length word and faster :D

Does the no fluff mean no showers? I go to the gym in Kad Suan Kaew and after a workout walk back through the shopping mall rosy pink and dripping sweat not a pretty sight!

Actually, they do have a shower--if you want to call it that. It is a small cubicle in the bathroom, which itself is pretty small, and has a large bucket filled with water. It would work for me, since that is what I have in my house anyway, but I don't think anybody actually uses it. There's no bench to put your stuff while you shower, no hooks, etc, it isn't really set up for comfort. No problem, once you are finished with your work out, you don't have to pass throngs of shoppers on your way out. I just go home and shower.