Good Gym In Pattaya/jomtien ?

SARAHJ101

Can anyone recommend a good gym in or around Pattaya? I have saw adverts for Tony's gym. Does anyone know the monthly fee for Tony's?

Cheers

Check out our newest sponsor here

Castra Praetoria Gym

Is not open yet. Maybe next month.

Also no telephone contact possible.

cheers

onzestan

To the Castro sponsors:

It is not clear to me from the info in your link where you are.....can we have a location map and some proper identifying feature?

How big is the gym?

What kind of exercise equipment do you or will you have, machines including for Cardio?

What about changing rooms, showers, sauna etc?

thank you.

Edited by R123

Hello all at Thai Visa. Thanks for the mention. I’ll do my best to answer your questions. If anyone requires any further information please feel free to contact us at: [email protected]

In regards to directions, we will be updating the website shortly and will display a more detailed map. Ref: www.thecastra.com

For those familiar with East Pattaya we are located at the very top of the hill on Soi Khao Talo, approximately 150 meters past Siam Royal View development and opposite to the junction connecting soi Khao Talo with soi Khao Noi.

We will be installing signs shortly so it will be more apparent if you are in the vicinity.

The gym building is currently under construction and we plan to open on the 1st of October however we will open before that date if at all possible.

The gym is approximately 800 m2 and is split into 3 areas comprising of the main gym, fitness studio and the male and female changing rooms with Saunas.

Initially the equipment will include 11 cardio and 30 strength machines/benches. We will also be procuring more equipment when we get an idea of what are the most popular apparatus.

Our free weights will include 40 pairs of Steel Flex dumbbells ranging from 5-180 lbs. We also have extra heavy dumbbells on order going up to 220 lbs. These are custom made and imported so we may have to wait for those.

We intend on having as much free weight equipment as possible, once the gym is up and running will defiantly be looking to get as many different types of apparatus as possible.

Fitness classes will include Yoga, Aerobics, Circuit Training and Spinning/indoor cycling. Personal training will be available at the gym and we will be employing more trainers in the future.

Sport supplements will be on offer at the best prices we are able to provide. Our products are from some of the best suppliers in Thailand and all are approved by the Thai FDA.

We will post an update when we are ready to open and provide more details on what we have to offer.

The final evaluation will go down to our customers and the Thai Visa members, whom we will be glad to hear from about any feed back or suggestions regarding the gym.

Thanks

Castra Gym

• 3 weeks later...
Hello all at Thai Visa. Thanks for the mention. I'll do my best to answer your questions. If anyone requires any further information please feel free to contact us at: [email protected]

In regards to directions, we will be updating the website shortly and will display a more detailed map. Ref: www.thecastra.com

For those familiar with East Pattaya we are located at the very top of the hill on Soi Khao Talo, approximately 150 meters past Siam Royal View development and opposite to the junction connecting soi Khao Talo with soi Khao Noi.

We will be installing signs shortly so it will be more apparent if you are in the vicinity.

The gym building is currently under construction and we plan to open on the 1st of October however we will open before that date if at all possible.

Hi Castra, do you have a date yet for the opening of the gym?

Cheers

Sarah

The gym is approximately 800 m2 and is split into 3 areas comprising of the main gym, fitness studio and the male and female changing rooms with Saunas.

Initially the equipment will include 11 cardio and 30 strength machines/benches. We will also be procuring more equipment when we get an idea of what are the most popular apparatus.

Our free weights will include 40 pairs of Steel Flex dumbbells ranging from 5-180 lbs. We also have extra heavy dumbbells on order going up to 220 lbs. These are custom made and imported so we may have to wait for those.

We intend on having as much free weight equipment as possible, once the gym is up and running will defiantly be looking to get as many different types of apparatus as possible.

Fitness classes will include Yoga, Aerobics, Circuit Training and Spinning/indoor cycling. Personal training will be available at the gym and we will be employing more trainers in the future.

Sport supplements will be on offer at the best prices we are able to provide. Our products are from some of the best suppliers in Thailand and all are approved by the Thai FDA.

We will post an update when we are ready to open and provide more details on what we have to offer.

The final evaluation will go down to our customers and the Thai Visa members, whom we will be glad to hear from about any feed back or suggestions regarding the gym.

Thanks

Castra Gym

Hi Castra,

Do you have a date for opening yet?

Cheers

Sarah

Edited by SARAHJ101

Hello all at Thai Visa. Thanks for the mention. I'll do my best to answer your questions. If anyone requires any further information please feel free to contact us at: [email protected]

Hi Castra, do you have a date yet for the opening of the gym?

Cheers

Sarah

Thanks

Castra Gym

Hi Castra,

Do you have a date for opening yet?

Cheers

Sarah

Hello again Sarah,

Thanks for your inquiry. In regards to the opening date, we still have some work to do on the building and to quote the late Captain Scott “all going well we should be there within 3 weeks”.

I can’t say what day exactly because we are waiting for certain contractors to finish their work. Once the main construction crews are done we should be finished quite quickly. I Hope that this is not too long for you to wait and I’ll let you know if we can open any sooner.

Regards,

Richie

Can anyone recommend a good gym in or around Pattaya? I have saw adverts for Tony's gym. Does anyone know the monthly fee for Tony's?

Cheers

I live off Soi Khaotalo and if you want a gym in Pattaya or Jomtien then that Casta gym is quite a distance away, past Sukhumvit. You would need your own transport.

I guess they are catering to the expats who live out that way and as I may be in the market for a gym membership, I shall check them out.

Fairtex in North Pattaya on the cusp of Naklua is good and plush but has a very steep membership fee, about Bt24,000 per year off peak and somewhere over Bt40,000 per year for full time membership.

Tonys' as you asked, is on Third Road. In the last two years he has changed membership fees more times than I have eated Thai green curry (which is a lot) and his latest squeeze since April has been lifetime membership which started at Bt14,999 and is now Bt19,999. This covers all his facilities but not many people would ever use them all nor want to pay for them.

I am sceptical about how you run a business long term if everyone has paid a lifetime fee and there are no new subscriptions ? I would not be parting with Bt20k in a hurry. That said, he does run a yearly membership for Bt6,999 but you have to buy 2 or more years (2*6,999 = 13,998). Quite why anyone would do that is a mystery.

If he still runs the Bt99 drop in then that would be the place to start I think.

I think there is one connected with the Royal Garden / Marriott but I suspect that is steep as well.

Others, like the Hardbody Gym on Soi 3 in Jomtien are no aircon, sweaty, male orientated sort of gyms without classes.

Sorry I cannot be of more help. It would be good if you would post back with the results of your quest.

The deal with the "trio" of Tony's gym outlets. The place on 3rd road

opposite soi chaiyapoon is 200 baht per visit. The outlet on 3rd road

near the intersection of south pattaya road is 230 baht per visit. Only

the newest location on soi 16 off walking street is 99 baht and I've

not yet visited this place so I can only say that's their advertised price.

As a "normal sized" person I can only caution you that during rush hour

at any of these places you're likely to run into the human blow-fish so

pick an alternate time and you will have the run of the place to yourself.

Tonys' as you asked, is on Third Road. In the last two years he has changed membership fees more times than I have eated Thai green curry (which is a lot) and his latest squeeze since April has been lifetime membership which started at Bt14,999 and is now Bt19,999. This covers all his facilities but not many people would ever use them all nor want to pay for them.

You've missed most of the good points about Tony's Gym.

1. Tony's has 4 gym now, and all are well equipped with cardio equipment and heavy duty machines and free weights.

2. They're open 24 hours

3. You can get a year at the Soi 16 gym for only 3,999 per year. If you pay the membership for the main gym on 3rd Road (6-8,000 depending on the time of year), you get to use all 4 gyms for the one price.

4. Don't worry about Tony's closing down soon. He's very busy buying new equipment for all 4 gyms and seems to have an endless supply of money. Even if a person splashes out for the 20,000 life-time membership, that's still good value even if he closes down in only 2 years.

Thanks for your replies. I cant really wait another 3 wks for Castros to open tho, was thinking of checking out the 99Baht Drop In at Tony's. Does anyone know directions and/or map to the gym that offers this?

Much appreciated

Don't worry about Tony's closing down soon. He's very busy buying new equipment for all 4 gyms and seems to have an endless supply of money. Even if a person splashes out for the 20,000 life-time membership, that's still good value even if he closes down in only 2 years.

What a croc of sh1t.

Good value to pay lifetime membership and see it go down the pan in 2 years ? Even by your logic (wrong by the way) you could buy 2 years membership at 14k (not 4-6k per year) and be 6k ahead.

You seem to have failed to grasp the fact that the only way a business can operate if it has no money coming in is if the lifetime fee was so large as to be able to generate on deposit sufficient interest to pay the overheads and provide a decent return on capital (profit). Clearly that is not possible with Tonys so either he rakes it in now and then ? or no-one takes him up on his offer beacuse they think ? will happen.

Sure, if you go everyday, then 20k will work out at only Bt54 per day or just over a hundred if you average a few days a week. Then you would have recouped your money through value in 12 months. I just think people who go once a week or a month should think again about purchasing a lifetime pass.

As has been noted here and elsewhere, there are some serious steroid freaks hang out there.

Thanks for your replies. I cant really wait another 3 wks for Castros to open tho, was thinking of checking out the 99Baht Drop In at Tony's. Does anyone know directions and/or map to the gym that offers this?

Much appreciated

http://www.tonydisco.com/html/europa.php

http://www.tonydisco.com/html/contact.php

Cheaper still is the Pattaya Gym on Soi BJ, off Walking Street. 60 baht per visit.

Good for general fitness, not for the steroid freaks.

torrenova - i have been going to tonys gym (3rd road, pattaya tai) for 6 months now and have yet to see a steroid freak. I still reckon it is good value for money and the best place to go. have you ever been to tonys gym or do you just sit at home and waste your days away on this forum?

Don't worry about Tony's closing down soon. He's very busy buying new equipment for all 4 gyms and seems to have an endless supply of money. Even if a person splashes out for the 20,000 life-time membership, that's still good value even if he closes down in only 2 years.

What a croc of sh1t.

Good value to pay lifetime membership and see it go down the pan in 2 years ? Even by your logic (wrong by the way) you could buy 2 years membership at 14k (not 4-6k per year) and be 6k ahead.

Yes, I would still consider 2 years at Tony's for 20,000 baht good value if it went down. I paid 8000 baht to use all 3 facilities for 1 year, and that's fantastic value. At the moment it's 6,000 for the same deal.

Tony is constantly upgrading the equipment in all of his gyms, and it's expensive gear too. Recently he expanded to a new location. This is hardly the actions of a business due to go down wouldn't you say?

Judging on your comments, I don't believe you know too much about gyms, because anyone who has had experience would realize that Tony's is probably the best value gym in the world. I've trained in 8 different countries and never seen anything like it in terms of value for money...not even close.

I'm just about the only person in the gym when I train late at night. You may want to change your training hours to avoid those "steroid freaks" that seem to worry you so much.

If you really want to avoid those scary guys then avoid the gym near Soi Lengkee as that is were most of them train. You should really be asking yourself why they like to train at Tony's. It's simple...they're great gyms.

Edited by tropo

What a croc of sh1t.

Yes, I would still consider 2 years at Tony's for 20,000 baht good value if it went down. I paid 8000 baht to use all 3 facilities for 1 year, and that's fantastic value. At the moment it's 6,000 for the same deal.

Tony is constantly upgrading the equipment in all of his gyms, and it's expensive gear too. Recently he expanded to a new location. This is hardly the actions of a business due to go down wouldn't you say?

Judging on your comments, I don't believe you know too much about gyms, because anyone who has had experience would realize that Tony's is probably the best value gym in the world. I've trained in 8 different countries and never seen anything like it in terms of value for money...not even close.

I'm just about the only person in the gym when I train late at night. You may want to change your training hours to avoid those "steroid freaks" that seem to worry you so much.

If you really want to avoid those scary guys then avoid the gym near Soi Lengkee as that is were most of them train. You should really be asking yourself why they like to train at Tony's. It's simple...they're great gyms.

I am sure you know more about gyms than I do but I do have a very good understanding of cashflow, profitability and economics. Please bear with me and let me see if I can shed some light on the mathematics of the situation.

Firstly, let me say that I think the Bt20k is an outstanding offer were it backed by a cast iron guarantee, at least for a few years and were it in the west where the rule of contract law can be enforced in the courts. Specifically in the UK, one could sue in the Small Claims Court for relatively low costs without being liable for large defense bills.

In the last few years, Tony has offered his gym membership, from my passing knowledge, at various prices from about 3k to 8k per annum, latterly with multiple years at a discounted price and recently with the lifetime membership.

Looking at cashflow, contracting to provide future services for a discounted up front fee significantly benefits the current accounting period's cashflow. The downside is that the future accounting periods are devoid of income to cover the previously agreed liabilities and I seriously doubt whether any future liabilities relating to the provision of these services has been accounted for.

So why do it ? Well, as it is cash generative, there may be a need for finance. Membership may increase and people purchasing the full lifetime membership are effectively tying themselves into Tony's for the future. There are anciliary income streams as I am sure you are aware.

The problem from an accounting point of view is providing for these future liabilities without inward cashflows at the same time. I am sure you agree that one cannot pay now and get 50 years gym membership for Bt20k ? New equipment now but what about in 2 years, or 5 years ?

there is also a limit to the number of people you can convince to pay a lifetime membership. Largeyl coming from expats, you quickly reach saturation point and if those people are not new members but merely current members taking advantage of a better offer, then you have canabilised your original business model for short term gain.

Now I am in no way suggesting Tony would do this but a new owner may not honour the lifetime memberships. It is easy in Thailand to close and re-open under a new company leaving old liabilities behind. That would be one worry.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out but it is not dissimilar to a pyramid scheme where the model is only supported as long as there are people buying into the bottom level. Imagine that all members are on the lifetime scheme ? where do next year's salaries come from and the year after and the year after that ? Can the transient members realy pay for themselves and the lifetime members ?

I am sure you know more about gyms than I do but I do have a very good understanding of cashflow, profitability and economics. Please bear with me and let me see if I can shed some light on the mathematics of the situation.

Firstly, let me say that I think the Bt20k is an outstanding offer were it backed by a cast iron guarantee, at least for a few years and were it in the west where the rule of contract law can be enforced in the courts. Specifically in the UK, one could sue in the Small Claims Court for relatively low costs without being liable for large defense bills.

You're lucky that you're able to sue for very small sums of money in your country, but in the case of a gym going broke and thereby not honouring a lifetime membership it is usually a total waste of time to sue as there is no money to get. Even if it were a pyramid scheme which indicates that the business was a scam from the start, by the time everything crashes there isn't usually any money to find as the money has been cleverly stashed away. In Australia there are laws to prevent gyms from doing this now as there were some high profile cases of gym scams about 10 years ago.

In Thailand we can safely assume that no such protection is in place therefore we must take our own precautionary measures. In the of case deciding on a lifetime membership I consider questions like: 1.How long is this establishment likely to stay afloat? 2. How many years at worst before such an event could happen, thinking negatively? 3. If my worst case scenario eventuates, how much out of pocket would I be? 4. How good is the gym compared to others in the area? 5. How long has this gym been established?

This is the type of thinking which helped me arrive at the assessment which you took exception to regarding 2 years of a 20,000 lifetime membership still being good value for money. Even if the gym closed in 2 years, it would still be better value for money than a membership anywhere else in Pattaya over 2 years.

To make this assessment I considered what I am getting for my money. i.e. 4 very well equipped gyms operating 24 hours a day. Large gyms which are never overcrowded. Free water. Free towels. Reasonable change facilities for Asia. Steam rooms, saunas and plunge pools. Tennis court. Swimming pool. High quality cardio equipment and a lot of it. Well air-conditioned with lots of fans etc.

The gyms are owned by a high-profile local businesman who has a great deal of investment in the area.

Personally I don't believe that the Tony's gyms on their own make a good profit (this is only a theory mind you) and that there is more than just profit involved here.

If you take a good look at Tony's establishments it's easy to see that prestige and power come into the equation. He's driven to be the best and has an image to keep up. He comes across as a rich kid with money to burn and this is why Tony's gyms offer unequalled value, and why I believe they'll be around for at least 2 years, but likely many more.

This is more than I can say about any other gyms around here.

Which leads me to one final question: Why would anyone want to train anywhere else?

I'm looking forward to trying Castra one of these days when they open.

Yeah me too, it looks good value for money plus its reasonably close to where I live which is good. Im just using the 'drop in' at a hotel gym nearby until Castra opens.

Hey Castra remember and post up on the boards when you open, cheers :o

Hello all. Thanks again for your interest in our gym. Apologies for the delays however we are at the mercy of the construction company. I’m sure that anybody who has been involved with construction in Thailand will know exactly how frustrating it can be.

We are planning on opening as soon as the main gym is ready. The rest of the minor job can be done after this.

I will let everyone at Thai Visa know as soon as we are ready.

Thanks

Much appreciated

Try their web-site

http://www.tonydisco.com/html/home.php

• 2 years later...

Maybe there is a more recent thread on this topic but this is what hit when I did a search.

Does anyone have any recent comments on Pattaya area gyms? Just got a place here and now want to get a workout in while in town. I am a member at True in Bkk and when I first thought of being here as well it was a easy choice as they were going to be in Central but that fell apart.

I have visited Cal Wow, Fairtex and Tony's so far. Castra I just heard about on this thread. Is it open?

Cal Wow worries me as I suspect with the lifetime offers the place is probably packed in the evenings - which is when I need to go. Can anyone comment? But I could get access in both Ptya and Bkk so that is a bonus.

Tony's seems to have a lot of stuff - almost dizzy trying to work my qway around all the locations and nooks and crannies in each one. No Bkk option but they do have a pool. How is the equipment and crowds there these days?

And Fairtex seemed to be a well equipped place, I am not in the market for Muay Thai but they have a nice pool and the gym seems alright, any comments on crwods etc there would be appreciated.

K

Update, dropped by the Royal garden/Marriot gym and wow they ask a lot for a little.

38K a year, and not well equipped.

Used to always go Tony's but he has revised his prices.

I believe it is now £70 for a month at life fitness off walking.

Although a 6 month or yearly membership still represents good value.

When did Tony start charging in British Pounds? I always paid my membership fees in Thai baht.

Cal Wow worries me as I suspect with the lifetime offers the place is probably packed in the evenings - which is when I need to go. Can anyone comment? But I could get access in both Ptya and Bkk so that is a bonus.

I'm a lifetime member and what you suspect is true. The gym is becoming far too crowded at just about anytime of the day or night.

Please spread the word: WE DON'T NEED NEW MEMBERS!