How To Open A Uk Bank Account?

Hi all,

I'm a UK national and think it's time I opened a UK bank account and get a credit card. I closed my bank account when I decided to move to Thailand.

As I've been out of the UK for 2 years without a registered address, what are my options to open up a bank account with a debit or even better, a credit card?

It's super embarrassing booking into a nice hotel and explaining that I don't own a credit card and asking if they will except cash as a deposit! hahaha

Any help is much appreciated.

Hi all,

I'm a UK national and think it's time I opened a UK bank account and get a credit card. I closed my bank account when I decided to move to Thailand.

As I've been out of the UK for 2 years without a registered address, what are my options to open up a bank account with a debit or even better, a credit card?

It's super embarrassing booking into a nice hotel and explaining that I don't own a credit card and asking if they will except cash as a deposit! hahaha

Any help is much appreciated.

As a start I would go back to my old bank (assuming you had a good relationship with them!).

Hmm..i looked into this for my brother when i was living in the UK and I couldnt find any option. Although in saying that he hasnt lived in the UK for about 16 years now. If your previous bank doesnt accept you, and you do find a way, please post.

What Im wondering tho', if its just for a credit card, why you dont open a Thai bank account which will get you a visa debit card?

The OP is correct that they may find it difficult to open an account in the UK, certainly it is worth trying your old bank first, but Halifax offer the 'Cardcash' account.

You have to have ID and deposit a small amount of cash but that is available to you straight away.

You get a debit card and with that you can pay for goods and sevices remotely, set up paypal, just use it as a normal cashpoint card worldwide

or as a chip/pin card to pay for shopping and restaurant and hotel bills.

No interest on your money and no overdraft, but over time you can upgrade to a full current account.

Edited by Robski

You can always open an account in the Channel Islands using a Thai address.

LlloydsTSB Offshore do not require a huge initial deposit.

However offshore accounts are not for keeping pocket money in as

the maintenance fees can be quite high.

Naka.

Edited by naka

You can always open an account in the Channel Islands using a Thai address.

LlloydsTSB Offshore do not require a huge initial deposit.

However offshore accounts are not for keeping pocket money in as

the maintenance fees can be quite high.

Naka.

I opened a A&L Isle of Mann account from Thailand a few months ago. It is internet based and pays 6.4% at present and thats tax free and legit. For those good with a calculator thats about £123/week (for each £100K invested) or about 8500Baht. This account has no charges provided you transfer by BACS.

You have to link it to another account owned by you though, for repayments ie getting your money out..