Bars Can Stay Open Until 2 Am, For Now

george

REPEATED FROM A NEW THREAD IN THE CHIANGMAI FORUM -

An issue I have watched for 5 years in Chiangnai reates to the "intermittent loss of service for ATMs", normally around one hour before the currently favoured closing time of entertainment venues  (whatever that may be at any given date.

To illustrate - 5 years ago (1999-2000 under the Democrat governement) on a Friday night, the Siam Commercial Bank ATMa used to shut down until breakfast time.  One a week and only one bank = not a problem really.

However, since early 2001 (coming to power of Dr Cheerless & Co.), I've noticed that most banks' ATM's, for both foreign and domestic accounts, stop permitting withdrawals over 1,000 Baht after 1 hour before whatever the currently promoted / hoped for / intended closing hour is for night time entertainment places, and that they remain disfunctional until breakfast time (normally around 6am).

Has anyone else noticed this trend?

Does anyone else believe this to be a secondary attempt by government to control the late night habits of the masses? 

It is, after all, too co-incidental to the change in government, and in the light of recent tourism campaigns, too convenient that the "preferred" tourists are tucked up in bed in 5 star hotels (cabinet owned) before the ATMs shut down, and do not wake up before the ATMs resume service, whilst all of us expats enjoying a night out are suddenly unable to withdraw the bar fines for the non-cabinet owned bar beers etc.

So - am I alone in identifying this trend?

Have you noticed it as well, but not really thought aboout it?

Did you used to watch the "X-Files"? :D I think you're taking the conspiracy theory just a little bit too far :D - it would take far too much organisational effort for this government to accomplish. I would have thought the attitude of the current goverment was to allow farangs to get as much money out of ATMs as possible and spend it on whatever (or whoever :D ) they wanted. Because if we spend a lot of money, we become "quality tourists".

Perhaps you've noticed a few ATMs out of action when you really really wanted some cash? Know how you feel. :D:o They don't take credit....

• 3 weeks later...
Come on over to Portstewart the bars stay open on late license till 4 in the morn. You can also watch the beautiful sunset over the bay this is the place were the song Red Sails In The Sunset was written about. The weathers great now.

Not in a Million years Buddy.