Name Law In Thailand?

Back Sida

Hello,

I need a pice opf advise of your guys here.

My daughter is now born (on 26th) and now I runing in this

problem about here name.

I like to give here the name Helena Chalisa and now the

secritary of the hospital called me and told me I can't

give here this name because it is the law in Thailand

that she get a Thai name.

The only what maybe will possibel is to give here the

the name Chalisa Helena but she is not sure about that.

I mean, that can not be right, or?

Helena is a German name (my grantmothers name) and my

wife change here Familyname to my Familiname.

The kid will get a German passport so I want that she

have a German first-name.

Is here someone who know abaut the Name-Law in Thailand

and can give me a advise how I can give here the name I like?

I appreciate that very much

Thank's in advanse,

Back.

Think you have been misinformed............i know 4 different thai ladies with children by farangs.....babies names are Alex, Thomas, Justin and Kevin all registered at the local Amphur none of the above have a second Thai name , only their farang fathers surname.......oh.....i know one more as well a neighbour of ours has a girl named Lisa!

I like to give here the name Helena Chalisa and now the

secritary of the hospital called me and told me I can't

give here this name because it is the law in Thailand

that she get a Thai name.

I tend to agree with those who have replied.

The secretary (he/she) is talking a whole load of bullsh1t TIT

Hi there,

In a way it is correct, one of her names have to be a Thai name, but she can have other names added to. She needs the thai name for all different kinds of registrations in Thailand like school, id-cards etc. :o

My doughter was born here to, and we named her with first two European names and one thai name. She have all the names in her passport including the thai name (but written in phrasa angkrit):D

regards,

Ban thale

Hello @ all,

I thank all of you very much for all the quick replys.

All that what you wrote is this what I was also thinking and

it is good too hear that I can give here the name I like.

But can anyone give me a link or so, were I can find a

paragraph of a law what I can show to the secretary and

the Ampoe if I run there in trubble?

I don't know why everything in Thailand with the bureaucracy

is always or most of the time a problem.

And is at true that I have to bring from the embassy the meaning of

the name Helena?

Thank's a lot again,

Back(sida).

I think there is a misunderstanding here. The child's farang name (and Thai names, if any) must be written in Thai on the birth certificate application (and Thai passport, also)

I know this because I have just recently received my daughter's Thai birth certificate! :o

อาภัสรา (Apassara Gail ---------)

I think there is a misunderstanding here. The child's farang name (and Thai names, if any) must be written in Thai on the birth certificate application (and Thai passport, also)

I know this because I have just recently received my daughter's Thai birth certificate!  :D 

อาภัสรา (Apassara Gail ---------)

Thats correct, but I was talking about my daughters European passport! :D

Still there needs to be min. one thai name on children born here, (if nothing changed the last years), the reason is like I wrote before for different registrations later in the childs life for example, school, Thai id-card etc. Personally I do not have any problem with that, as my daughter is half Thai and half European it sounded natrual to give her names from both backgrounds. :D It is not only my daughter, it is also my wifes daughter. :o

regards,

Ban thale

off topic.........

shouldn't this thread be moved to the post"stupid laws in los"

to me this is absolutely unbelievable that u have to name your child with a thai name just because they are born in thailand....<deleted>??

this is the first i've ever heard of this.....anywhere

edit**

why does the child need a thai name to be registered???seems like a daft law with no real justification....unless i'm missing something????

off topic.........

shouldn't this thread be moved to the post"stupid laws in los"

to me this is absolutely unbelievable that u have to name your child with a thai name just because they are born in thailand....<deleted>??

this is the first i've ever heard of this.....anywhere

edit**

why does the child need a thai name to be registered???seems like a daft law with no real justification....unless i'm missing something????

France is supposed to have a similar rule.

Actually, most Thais I know actually have Indian names. :o

the childs name has to be typed in thai but can be anything you want it to be, thais generally dont have middle names but this they can add in for you, the birth certificate doesnt have a space for middle name, you can also then write out in english for them to write in english what the name in english is on the birth certificate.

I know this because I have just recently received my daughter's Thai birth certificate!  :o

Hi @ all,

of cours I fill out the forms (tow, one was in english) in Thai-language.

And congratulations to your new born child.

Back

Still there needs to be min. one thai name on children born here, (if nothing changed the last years), the reason is like I wrote before for different registrations later in the childs life for example, school, Thai id-card etc. Personally I do not have any problem with that, as my daughter is half Thai and half European it sounded natrual to give her names from both backgrounds. :D  It is not only my daughter, it is also my wifes daughter. :o

Hi,

that's alos my opinion and I want give here the Thainame 'Chalisa' but for my ears it's sounds not good to call here Chalisa Helena and so I wont that the Thainame come second.

I'm sure that the Thai language experts in that thread on Thaivisa would happily give you the names in Thai script.

Hi,

yes that will maybe very helpfull. Thank's, here a address to mail

[email protected]

I also tryed learn to read and write a little bit and Helena is not so complicated to

translat I have a good book from 'Mary R. Hass' but maybe I done it wrong.

I called the secritary and told here this what your gus wrote me here and now

she said, as I mention bevore, that I must have a translated meaning of 'Helena'

from the German embassy.

What's about that?

Back.

For what it's worth Backsida, we came up against a similar problem with the birth registrar in the amphur office, when wanting to register the birth of our daughter. We wanted her to have a Thai first name but a Western middle name, but were denied this choice for some obscure reason. I was none too pleased with this breach of personal freedom, but agreed in the end to just have one name on the birth certificate (to show how jai yen yen I could be).

however, there was no problem giving her the name of our choice when we registered her at the British Embassy and so that is the name she gets on her British passport, while her Thai passport gets the shorter version! TIT. :o

My niece has just given birth to a baby boy and she and her husband wanted to give the child an English name, dont forget they have a farang uncle.

As the father worked in a factory and drove a FORK LIFT TRUCK they decided to call the child "FORK IT". :o

As you can imagin i advised against the name.

So they went for their second choice of "ARGON" :D

So i now have a nephew named after a rare gas. :D:D:D

Still there needs to be min. one thai name on children born here, (if nothing changed the last years), the reason is like I wrote before for different registrations later in the childs life for example, school, Thai id-card etc. Personally I do not have any problem with that, as my daughter is half Thai and half European it sounded natrual to give her names from both backgrounds. :D  It is not only my daughter, it is also my wifes daughter. :o

Hi,

that's alos my opinion and I want give here the Thainame 'Chalisa' but for my ears it's sounds not good to call here Chalisa Helena and so I wont that the Thainame come second.

Hi again and congratulations for your daughter!

That should not be any problems, as my daughter have a farrang name first, Thai name in the middle and a farrang name last! :D My daughter is now 5 years, but I would asume that it is the same rules now! There was a little arguments at first, but on the second visit to our local amphur everything went well. :D

I still thinks and understands that if a child is born in Thailand, there have to be at least one thai name of the reasons I wrote before. Nothing strange at all, just common sence.

regards,

Ban thale

Hi,

Hi again and congratulations for your daughter!

That should not be any problems, as my daughter have a farrang name first, Thai name in the middle and a farrang name last! :D My daughter is now 5 years, but I would asume that it is the same rules now! There was a little arguments at first, but on the second visit to our local amphur everything went well. :D

I still thinks and understands that if a child is born in Thailand, there have to be at least one thai name of the reasons I wrote before. Nothing strange at all, just common sence.

as I mention bevore, that I must have a translated meaning of 'Helena'

from the German embassy.

Hi Ban thale and all otheres,

thank's for the reply and the congratulations.

If it is not to much (I don't want boring you here)

what is with this

"I must have a translated meaning of 'Helena' from the German embassy"?

I found to good Links about name-meanings

http://www.babynameworld.com/h-girl.asp

http://www.behindthename.com/nm/h.html#helena

do you think that this is enough for the amphur here in BKK

when I give them the Links for check this out by them self

(if there have Internet-connection)?

Thank' for the help.

Best regards,

Back.

My daughter is half Thai but has falang, first middle and my last name . I wanted Thai middle name but wife insisted so chose middle name August(month she was born) .Only problem we had with the birth cert was translation which was rectified no worries.

Unless the laws have changed since february this year you can call your child whatever you want. My daughter has first, middle and surname all falang. A Thai birth certificate with all names on it and a Thai passport with allnames on it. Also an Australian passport with all 3 names. There was never any mention of what a name meant or any questions about why. They just registered the names selected and away we went.

Also, you don't need to go to the Amphur to do any registration so how can you have problems there? City Hall does a Thai birth certificate for the child and there is less people and less hassle.

My youngest daughter was born in Bangkok, and has the obviously Thai name of Jennifer.

The only problem was getting someone to write this phonetically in Thai script for the birth certificate. (all it took was someone at the hospital who was bilingual to write it down).

- Just make sure that when you get the translation into English of the Birth certificate, in order to apply for a passport at the embassy, that the translation uses the spelling you want to appear in her passport.

Unless the laws have changed since february this year you can call your child whatever you want. My daughter has first, middle and surname all falang. A Thai birth certificate with all names on it and a Thai passport with allnames on it. Also an Australian passport with all 3 names. There was never any mention of what a name meant or any questions about why. They just registered the names selected and away we went.

Also, you don't need to go to the Amphur to do any registration so how can you have problems there? City Hall does a Thai birth certificate for the child and there is less people and less hassle.

Hello @ all,

I can tell you now, that I get the name I want on the birth certificate

but this take me a little bit of action.

I went with the Lady from the Hospital to the Amphur and explained the

officer there what your guys here wrote me and (I lie) that I contact a

lawyer and the the lawyer never heard from a law like 'I have to give

the child a Thai name'.

Finely she agree, but as the secretary told me last week, I need a

translation of what the name meaning in Thai from the German embassy.

I called there and there told me that there never have a case like

this and normal there not do things like that.

I ask if it is possible to speak with the officer on the phone and the

Thai-employee from the embassy spoke with the officer in the Amphur

that Helena is a common German name and told here the meaning.

This was not good enough for the officer and the embassy offer to send

a fax. This was also not good enough.

I spoke than with the embassy again and there was so kind to make this

document of the meaning and I went over there to pick it up. Bangkok

traffic :o

The embassy had it finished already when I arrived and there not even

charge me for this favour.

With this document it was then all OK and now I have the birth

certificate.

May every Amphur have different regulations or what ever. *TIT*

Thank's everybody for the replays and the informations.

Back

P.S. Maybe is it a good idea to put this information on the Website

for all who get in the future a baby and want to give him/her a farang

name.

Same I told to the Hospital.

We knew all along the name we wanted for our daughter, it is neither Thai nor Western but closer to a Thai nickname than anything else.

Alas, the Doctor wrote it down wrong on the birth cert. and turned it into a western name :o

But the name the doctor chose is quite nice too so we are sticking with it.

Besides, it wouldn't matter what she was called, she is still the most beautiful little creature I have ever seen.

agree?

Photo of my daughter in the members photo album.