Bicycle Shops In Pattaya

Tyke

This is the third or fourth Bicycle thread this year.

Panniers and frames - you may be lucky - but probably better to get a metal-worker to weld a few bits of 4mm steel rod together and then get it plated.

A second-hand bike in Thailand is one that is no longer rideable.

A new bike in Big C or Tesco's costs anything from 1,500 to 3,000 baht - or you can go to ProBike in Bangkok and pay 150,000 baht (yes, the zero's are correct) for a fancier model. And get it flattened by a car the first time you venture out.

Nothing like the Dales around Pattaya - but good riding in the North of Thailand.

Cannot speak for Pattaya but ProBike http://www.probike.co.th/ and thaicannasia http://www.thaicannasia.com/ both in Bangkok have a wide range of bikes and accessories including racks, panniers and other bags.

Yes, humphreybear, there are bikes for 150,000Baht and there's a lovely Trek Madone for 310,000Baht and, in my never too humble opinion, worth every satang! At the other end of the spectrum, there are bikes for 890 Baht but these are more of a 'soi hack' than a serious machine - OK for popping down to the local 7-11 and that's about it.

I am retiring my road bike - 15 years old and over 100,000 miles and if I were to replace it, like for like, it would cost over 200,000Baht but I've got my eye on a nice tourer at just over 90,000Baht.

Edited by mr_hippo

Hmm..many shops in Pattaya, just drive around and open your eyes. I loved biking in my home country, but considering the climate I am better off with a motorcycle here.

A bicycle I would only use to buy some Som Tam around the corner.

If you are into serious biking however, you better look in BKK.

There are at least two shops midway down Thepprasit rd. The best one is on the left hand side as you go towards Sukhumvit. They have all sorts of accessories and bikes from around 4000Baht up. They usually also have good quality second hand bikes for a reasonable price.

There are at least two shops midway down Thepprasit rd. The best one is on the left hand side as you go towards Sukhumvit. They have all sorts of accessories and bikes from around 4000Baht up. They usually also have good quality second hand bikes for a reasonable price.

I assume this is the one on Soi 10 corner, a hundred yards before the go-kart place.

It is my usual place for lights, other small accessories, but I cannot recall much in the way of pannier frames / bags. But good people there, very helpful - so I'm sure anyone would get some sort of result.

I assume this is the one on Soi 10 corner, a hundred yards before the go-kart place.

It is my usual place for lights, other small accessories, but I cannot recall much in the way of pannier frames / bags. But good people there, very helpful - so I'm sure anyone would get some sort of result.

That's the one

Another good source are all the small shops selling motorcycle equipment, they usually carry a lot of stuff for bikes as well, there are a few on Pattaya Tai opposite Friendship supermarket, and others all over the place.

I usually go to LA Bikes which is the first on the right going towards Sukhumvit. The guy there is very friendly and speaks good English and will order in special stuff when he doesn't have it in stock.

Hi,

Does Pattaya have any bicycle shops to buy bicycle accessories like panniers and other bags? Also second hand bicycle shops would be interesting. Anyone know of any?

Cheers

I would just like to say thanks, guys. I went to Pattaya yesterday and visited the bicycle shops mentioned on these replies - managed to find exactly what I wanted at reasonable prices (about half the cost in Bangkok), namely a pair of panniers, underframe bag etc. It seems different shops of the group on Thappraset(?) Road provide different things, which is good, each with a limited number and selection but better than those in Chinatown, BKK. Bicycle bags are not that popular in Thailand, I was told, so the selection of good locally produced ones are limited and imported ones are expensive. However, the local ones made in Thailand I bought are made by Merida (is that a Thai brand?).

Re: other comments about cycling in Thailand - well I started about 6 months ago and really enjoy it - especially with the Thailand Cycling club - I now realise you can get to places by bike that you can't manage by walking, car or motorbike, so it opens up new exploring possibilities. OK it's not that safe, but what is safe in Thailand? - and dodging the traffic for a short time anyway, keeps me feeling alive! I don't think cycling in Bangkok is much more dangerous than cycling in central London which I did for about 7 years, everyday. But the dangers are different - in London a major danger are pedestrians who step onto the road without looking - that almost never happens in Bangkok (except getting on and off buses). But in Bangkok, the dangers are 1) holes and grates with big slits pointing your way that have to be avoided, 2) taxis and buses that stop in front of you, 3) motorcycles and cars that enter your road and expect you to move to the centre of the road, 4) motorcycles, food carts etc coming at you on main roads in the wrong direction! 5) belching smoke in your face. A small price to pay for the sheer pleasure of cycling in Thailand!

• 4 weeks later...

Just as a matter of interest, do you or anyone else for thata matter know of any long distance erides. I read a couple of years ago about a bike ride from the south up to Bangkok but can find no info now - maybe a one off. Just interested to do something like that having done a couple of long distance rides in the past and before my body packs in completely!

Just as a matter of interest, do you or anyone else for thata matter know of any long distance erides. I read a couple of years ago about a bike ride from the south up to Bangkok but can find no info now - maybe a one off. Just interested to do something like that having done a couple of long distance rides in the past and before my body packs in completely!

A couple of organisations that do long-distance rides in Thailand (and are involved in charity work) are:

http://www.thaicycling.com/en_recycle.asp

http://www.tourdethailand.com/

Try joining one of the Bangkok Bike Hash rides, they often have rides in this area.

The ride is a pre laid paper or chalk trail with checks in it to bring the pack back together. Once a month at different venues all over Thailand.