Favourite Wi-fi Spots

JuniorExPat

I drove around with my laptop, connected to a GPS unit, with NetStumber running. That found the wifi signals and triangulated them quite well based on signal strength as I passed by to give estimated locations.

It seems you have done a pretty thorough piece of work for sure - putting every wifi access point on the map, including private ones. The "triangulated them quite well" is a bit too much of a false commercial assuming you actually did drive around the streets. Some equipment, rendering an accesspoint two meters to your left as located 20 meters to your right isn't worth much, I'd say.

Seems you fancy yourself as a bit of a geek, judging by: a) that cynical air, :o the fact I had to read three times before i figured what point you're trying to make.

Re "20 meters to your right": I did make clear above that some were wildly off. But 20 metres is quite good really isn't it? Even when a place is shown as being on the opposite side of the street it will still likely appear at the correct point along the street. So still somewhat *helpful*. I suspect the 'wayward' ones are those places where there's a fairly weak AP sitting deep inside a 4m wide shop house. You can visualize how the signals emerging onto the street might fool the algorithm.

Anyway just give it a try if you find it interesting, I was generally impressed. In some cases I was especially impressed.

Re "two meters to your left": Come on! I passed very very few APs that were anything like two metres to my left.

Just to make clear it's the software doing the triangulation, not the 'equipment'.

you still the man toolz! great job..

I've come late to this thread so I missed seeing the visualizer :o but I really like the coffee shop across the street from the Yoga Studio. Good, cheap coffee, a friendly, homey environment in an old house, and a good wireless signal. Nornally I'd keep such a place to myself but I'm worried that they'll go out of business if they don't get more customers. They even have a couple computers you can use if you don't have your laptop.

Normally having a beer with Tigerbeer on a friday night followed by copious amounts of horizontal folk dancing. What's your excuse? :o

Sounds nasty, MM. Does he fan you, and bathe you with rosewater, afterwards....? :D

Its amazing how many CM topics end up like this. Keep up the good work. :D

Ever wondered why so many people stop reading the crud in this forum?

A handful of pathetic people with no life life come here due to boredom and ruin thread after thread with this crap to the point where people can no longer use thaivisa effectively and just don't bother anymore. This is bad for both owners users of thaivisa, so everyone loses. Nice work.

A handful of pathetic people with no life life come here due to boredom and ruin thread after thread with this crap to the point where people can no longer use thaivisa effectively and just don't bother anymore. This is bad for both owners users of thaivisa, so everyone loses. Nice work.

And your post was constructive and on-topic? It's called a discussion forum.

Toolz, did you find a permanent home for that map, is there a link?

JxP

Toolz, did you find a permanent home for that map, is there a link?

JxP

Forum for discussion, yes, but some of the inane drivel that the same usual suspects hijack nearly every post (or so it seems) with really belongs on SCT if it's still going.

Forum for discussion, yes, but some of the inane drivel that the same usual suspects hijack nearly every post (or so it seems) with really belongs on SCT if it's still going.

Bear with'm, they're just a bunch of joyful pals in desperate need of extending the joyful moments they shared last night at the bar - nothing wrong with that, their lives are probably happier than your's and mine ... I see your point, though ... who'd bother contribute serious thoughts regarding the topic after a score or two of that kind of exchanges on that level?

Toolz that was a great map and a great piece of work. If you want to give the map a permanent home and haven't got anywhere else I am quite happy to put up a WIFI in CM page on my website with full credit to you for the map and legwork. Just PM me

• 2 weeks later...