The Contender Asia News

gaijinu

Thoughts on last night?

Bruce was very cautious, he didn't use his reach and his kicks, they weren't coming through he was just flicking them out there so he didn't run the risk of being off balance. I have seen numerous fights from the preacher but rarely does he stay on the back foot and throw a or 2 punches at a time (punches in bunches)

Yodsanklai was SO relaxed and took a risk at the early part of the show, could of picked anyone but picked their best which was the Preacher. Must say Yodsanklai is good,legs like tree trunks too

Also I think the challenge was pretty soft, I watch America's next top model after and they had a harder challenge

JWP V Rafik

Naruepol V Trevor

Sean V James

Yodsanklai V Bruce

Alain, David, Pitu, Soren, Yukay, Zach, Dzhabar, Zidov

Pick next weeks fighters

Dzhabar V Soren, Soren to Win

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thoughts on last night?

Bruce was very cautious, he didn't use his reach and his kicks, they weren't coming through he was just flicking them out there so he didn't run the risk of being off balance. I have seen numerous fights from the preacher but rarely does he stay on the back foot and throw a or 2 punches at a time (punches in bunches)

Yodsanklai was SO relaxed and took a risk at the early part of the show, could of picked anyone but picked their best which was the Preacher. Must say Yodsanklai is good,legs like tree trunks too

Also I think the challenge was pretty soft, I watch America's next top model after and they had a harder challenge

JWP V Rafik

Naruepol V Trevor

Sean V James

Yodsanklai V Bruce

Alain, David, Pitu, Soren, Yukay, Zach, Dzhabar, Zidov

Pick next weeks fighters

Dzhabar V Soren, Soren to Win

I have never been a fan of muay Thai (I grew up watching boxing), but have to admit I am really enjoying Contender Asia. It looked like to me that Bruce was giving so much respect for Yoksanklai's power that he didn't want to get close. Hence, Yodsanklai picked him apart. It was no contest.

I am still confused as to why it was held in Singapore, not the home of Muay Thai, Thailand

Also Stephan Fox is the main man?????

Looking at his comments he stats

"I held many titles with different sanctioning bodies - I won a world title with a kickboxing body, I won the Kings cup championship once, I won the intercontinental , commonwealth title, south pacific title. I held pretty much all there was at that time"

"When I moved to Australia I already was pretty much advanced in muaythai and was fighting professionally then. I had over 100 ring fights so at that time I was actually teaching and fighting at the same time."

Well I still have my money on John Wayne Parr-Yodsaenklai final with the winner being the smarter fighter (must move if you stand infront of these twe you will be hurt)

Why is it not held in Thailand?

Simple. Singapore uses this as a tool to promote its "culture" (you see they try to relate Chinese culture in this show all the time) and its tourism. (Main sponsor is Uniquely Singapore a.k.a Singapore Tourism Board)

They always mention Muay Thai as THE ANCIENT ASIAN MARTIAL ARTS ... NOT THAI MARTIAL ARTS.

Too bad that this sport has the word "Thai" in it. Otherwise, they would call it "Asian Kickboxing" instead.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

12 April 2008

The Contender Asia Grand Finale

Special Match : Dzahabar (UAE) VS Rafik Bakoury (France)

Super Rematch : Zidov Akuma (Switzerland) VS Zig Zach (Singapore)

Championship Fight : John Wayne Par (Australia) VS Yodsanklai (Thailand)

Yeah im going along with the wife, didnt get ringside although I wish we had now. How do you know the other fights, doesnt it come down to a vote?

You doughnut, thanks for the spolier theres still the semi finals to go!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah im going along with the wife, didnt get ringside although I wish we had now. How do you know the other fights, doesnt it come down to a vote?

You doughnut, thanks for the spolier theres still the semi finals to go!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a K1 Maxx DVD telling the story of JWP leading up to one of the fights.... not exactly my kind of film, comes across as very serious with his training, very dedicated, but ends up too confident and gets beaten in the first round.

They didn't have enough Buakao which was who I thouht would be the star, since he is THE MAN in Max for the most part.

Not sure if anyone else also thinks going into a ring with fake pistols is the most lame thing ever; few of the Kiwi fighters using to have similar gimicks; leave it in western boxing; Muay Thai bring your a-game, not props.

If anyone wants it, PM me and you are welcome to borrow/watch it/take it/have it.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah I thought the stadium would of been sold out, would of been nice to have put up the giant flags they have of the fighters at the south end top section.

who won then? cant say suppose with the contracts you must sign before.

AXN is useless, halfway thru the programme, they go to ad break, then the Contender Asia screener comes on and says... Does (add in the loser of the fight shown) derserve a rematch?, text blah blah blah, thanks alot True/Axn whatever, hopeless.

well Im picking Yods as hes pretty good,softens people up with those devastating leg kicks first, JWP almost lost to Rafik, Yods completely out did Sean in the semi, Sean looked abit dazed or wasnt himself in the semi, maybe the occassion got to him. JWP is good thou, excellent technique.

Edited by Donnyboy

JWP is looking a little slow and doesn't seem himself. Hopefully he wil have a little break and come back hard as (review first few post I picked these two :-)

Yod had had easy fights all the way through so will be fresh and free of injuries

JWP will have to work hard to beat him but as always Parr is dangerous and has the ability to send anyone to sleep

YOD Won ! :o

were you there? or just a 50/50 guess?

I thought that anyone attending arent allowed to say who won.

Wasn't there but I train at Fairtex and it's really no secret there :D

Just Google it, must be one of the worst kept secrets ever!

That was a good fight! A real brawl. JWP fought better than I thought he would and seemed to land quite a few on Yod but Yod never seemed hurt. Meanwhile Yod's punches were landing hard. JWP is a hard b*stard no doubt about it. And Yod is just class. Great finale. But was there 2 lead in bouts? I only caught the end of the one before the final - was there one before that? What happened?

• 2 weeks later...
That was a good fight! A real brawl. JWP fought better than I thought he would and seemed to land quite a few on Yod but Yod never seemed hurt. Meanwhile Yod's punches were landing hard. JWP is a hard b*stard no doubt about it. And Yod is just class. Great finale. But was there 2 lead in bouts? I only caught the end of the one before the final - was there one before that? What happened?

there was Dzbar vs Rafic~ not a bad fight, with some european title on the line, Dzbar had the better punching power and looked better in the first 3 rounds. But both are a notch or 2 below Yods and JWP. Dzbar won.

the other was Zidov vs Zac Khan something, the dude from singapore. Zidov must be lighter than most as he was kicked around more than a footy ball. Zac Khan was quite good in technique, and put Zidov down a few times by sweeping him. Khan won.

• 5 weeks later...
img7071ux1.jpg

Zidov coming to Bangkok anyone wanna go for drinks with us on this Friday please Pm me :o Its party time

I had a drink with him at the after fight party for Contender Asia Final - really nice guy

He also was getting a taxi same time as me afterwards with his pals - his legs looked like they were very sore.

Jaymee is OK but no tits ;-)

At the party she looked like she was with Sean the Scotsman but she dos have a local boyfriend according to the girls in my office.

LOL yeah hegot sore leg after thefight the organizers sucks never provide transport after the fight.. I was with Dzhabar after the fight we rushed back to hotel to keep the European Inter continental tittle Belt and then to Thumper club LOL

LOL yeah hegot sore leg after thefight the organizers sucks never provide transport after the fight.. I was with Dzhabar after the fight we rushed back to hotel to keep the European Inter continental tittle Belt and then to Thumper club LOL

Where is Thumper Club - never heard of it?