Some Advice Please

gharknes

I went to a TMB ATM in pattaya yesterday, I atempted to withdraw 2000baht using the quick cash feature, some thai message came up on the screen and no money came out, I attempted the same transaction again and the machine came up with a messagein English (which I must have missed the first time, the message said Quote - Possible Equipment error - please count cash, well there was nothing to count the cash tray did not open and I didn't get the 2 X 2000baht I had requested, the money was deducted from my account.

Any help would be appriciated and anyone that has experienced this before

cheers

PS after the experience at TMB I went across the road to another machine and was able to withdraw 2000baht

Contact your card issuing bank and explain what happened. They will place a query of the transaction in their system. From past experience it can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks for the transaction to be corrected and your account recredited.

I think ATM's are programmed to go out of service when they are out of money. The error message in Thai/English sounds odd to me.

I agree with britmaveric, my first reaction to the OP's description was that he had been scammed. Time to change the card/pin, maybe account (check balance ASAP!).

That happened to me at Kata beach on Phuket about 6 years ago, went to the atm other than my own (Thai farmers bank) and there were workers fixing whats seemed to be electrical cables on the street, Had a funny feeling what if power cut! and guess what clicked to withdraw 20,000 baht and it started to make the noise it was going to open the money draw and.....nothing. Yes power cut and didn't think atm would be affected as have a back up power.

Went into the shop (travel agent) they took my details and said to contact my bank. I did that they said see the bank atm belonged too another bank balh blah. Anyway the local shop has a record of transaction were atm is that banks personnel who come to service etc will update and sign and they said all was ok with amount in machine etc, my account showed -20,000 baht. I was really pissed of and felt foul play, but I had never heard of that happening before!

Closed my account with (then Thai farmers) as they said nothing they could do...

And always dreaded going to atm since then for a few years :o I had a few cards swollen also by atm, reason card old? They said, wait nearly 3 -4 days to get back also.

I think ATM's are programmed to go out of service when they are out of money. The error message in Thai/English sounds odd to me.

I agree with britmaveric, my first reaction to the OP's description was that he had been scammed. Time to change the card/pin, maybe account (check balance ASAP!).

when you go to your bank they will know if you've been scammed or not........

I went to a TMB ATM in pattaya yesterday, I atempted to withdraw 2000baht using the quick cash feature, some thai message came up on the screen and no money came out, I attempted the same transaction again and the machine came up with a messagein English (which I must have missed the first time, the message said Quote - Possible Equipment error - please count cash, well there was nothing to count the cash tray did not open and I didn't get the 2 X 2000baht I had requested, the money was deducted from my account.

cheers

PS after the experience at TMB I went across the road to another machine and was able to withdraw 2000baht

Happen to me in bangkok, can heared the 8000 baht coming but nothing :o

was worry , money taken out the account , two days later reverse !

they must have a check inside ! i will contact the bank , but do not think you will be charge at the end !

keep us posted

Contact the bank - get all the info about the atm in question. Usually takes a few weeks to get your dosh back. Should be an overage at the ATM.

One thing to consider - could be a dodgey atm. One used to copy your card/pin for nefarious uses.

Another thing to consider is the person who balances the ATM at the end of the day pocketing the overage.... :o

Contact the bank - get all the info about the atm in question. Usually takes a few weeks to get your dosh back. Should be an overage at the ATM.

One thing to consider - could be a dodgey atm. One used to copy your card/pin for nefarious uses.

Another thing to consider is the person who balances the ATM at the end of the day pocketing the overage.... :o

Such a trusting soul :D But agree on that one.

Also with Thailand being high on UK bank fraud lists you do have to check each machine as you use it. Had my card transactions stopped on average once a month but was ok after an international call to my bank. Each time they stated potential fraud as the reasoning behind it.

cheers

I had kind of the same problem at the SCB ATM@Mcdonald's drive in on Sukhumvit(Pattaya).I tried to withdraw 20000.-,and i heard the machine was about to spit out the money,but nothing!! the machine looks old,and dodgy.So when i came home i did a search on the net for contact info on siam comercial bank,and i called then strait away,the lady in the other end couldn't find anything wrong with that specific ATM,as almost anything is online these days (if it's a genuine atm)The next day i checked my online bank,and there it was:20k out in 1min,20k in,the next.No problem hope the same for U.

cheers

I had this happen to me in MBK 6 times in the same day totalling 1500 pounds,i went to draw from the atm ,declined, this happened at 6 different atms,i knew there was money in my bank ( this was a debit card ) to cut a long story short, i called the bank the next day as it was a sunday,.when they told me all the transactions had been sucessful and the money had gone from my account i was fuming,.it was when there were no cheap calls and i was on the phone for over an hour, .they said there was nothing they coud do except go and see the banks concerned to see it there tills were up on the day ! really, i coulnt even remember all the atms id gone to ,.so when i returned to england i went to the bank , i sat with a manager and said right, if i had the money show me the transaction details, they couldnt,. i got the impression as it was my own money they werent that interested, so what i did was max out my overdraft to 2k, went back in and said ,right, what is my daily allowance on an atm card ? he said 250 pounds, i said right,so how do you approve 1500 in one day ?, we will look into it he says, by now i am really pissed off, so i say to him, this is how it is, im 2k overdrawn,when you get back the 1500 which you approved let me know and ill send you the 500 to make up the shortfall on the overdraft,. hes by now saying, you cant do that, i said oh yes i can, you have just told me my daily limit is 250, you authorised 1500 in one day, sort it out and close my account, they wrote to me a few times after but i ignored them, til they threatened court action, i then had a soliciters letter written up stating i would be counter suing and with that it was dropped and i heard no more, here is a tip,, if possible when using atms use a credit card, not a debit card, ,the credit card company will almost immediatly refund the dodgy transaction while they look into it, and you are not risking your own money,.

cheers

Did you statment show a refund ?

as kuba :

The next day i checked my online bank,and there it was:20k out in 1min,20k in,the next.No problem hope the same for U.

simcity:

money taken out the account , two days later reverse !

cheers

I had this twice recently in Bangkok using my Singapore account.

It looked like it had been deducted so I checked online later and it showed a credit back to me ie two transactions showing - a debit and credit.