Your Best Or Worst Phuket Experience

mrsouza

Hi y'all,

For the next issue of My Phuket we plan to run a series of articles that describes the best or worst experiences people had in Phuket or Thailand.

It can span anything from a rip-off tuk tuk ride to paying the electric bill, or a lovely day in a special place. You name it.

Just make sure its "family friendly" and has a punch to it.

Please do not publish it here as it would spoil the fun, email it directly to [email protected]

The best stories will be published in the upcoming issues of our magazine. You can be published under an alias if you wish. :o

Thanks!

MMmmm. Although i flunked English in college, i was published once.

I wrote an article on Kamodo dragons after i visited the island in Indonesia.

It was a short article but i got paid $250 US for it.

I don't think i would've gone to the trouble and spent aprox 2 weeks researching and writing if i would not have gotten paid for it. I remember using an Austrialian computer to spell check and then when i submitted the article, found out that many words were spelled wrong. That's when i found out that nations spell things differently even though it's the same language. (no wonder i flunked English, aye? )

Isn't that how business works? (People get paid for working)

I wonder how your other writers feel about your not paying for articles.

Let me ask you this: If we get published, is our material than copyrighted? Or can we then use the (same) article for our own (monetary) endeavors.

The article described, is common to a lot of travel mags. The entries generally run 4-7 lines. Hardly a tome. What one usually reads about are heartwarming things like,

"Making A Delivery On Bangla Rd."

My name is Owen and I'm a lorry driver from Luton. While walking down down Bangla Rd one night with my katoey life partner celebrating our 2 day anniversary, we chanced upon a rotund woman squatting in the middle of the street and moaning. I assumed she was just a typical fat lady on a junket from Oslo suffering from drinking one too many lagers, but my beloved Jasmine knew differently. She rushed over to help the pale and gasping woman just in time to catch a baby that was popping down the delivery chute. Although my hectic life hauling toxic waste for export to Africa doesn't permit me to have a family, I consider the bangla miracle of life event to have been my child birth moment. Needless to say, this is a night I'll look back upon and cherish forever.

The article described, is common to a lot of travel mags. The entries generally run 4-7 lines. Hardly a tome. What one usually reads about are heartwarming things like,

"Making A Delivery On Bangla Rd."

My name is Owen and I'm a lorry driver from Luton. While walking down down Bangla Rd one night with my katoey life partner celebrating our 2 day anniversary, we chanced upon a rotund woman squatting in the middle of the street and moaning. I assumed she was just a typical fat lady on a junket from Oslo suffering from drinking one too many lagers, but my beloved Jasmine knew differently. She rushed over to help the pale and gasping woman just in time to catch a baby that was popping down the delivery chute. Although my hectic life hauling toxic waste for export to Africa doesn't permit me to have a family, I consider the bangla miracle of life event to have been my child birth moment. Needless to say, this is a night I'll look back upon and cherish forever.

Spot on!

If you can make it around 600 words we have a winner. :o

Plenty of people post on here about their less than favourable experiences with the Tuk Tuk Brigade.

Anyone game to write about that one?

I just received a positive story/experience about a tuk-tuk driver. I guess there are a couple good ones out there too.

Anyhow, we need more stories and I am sure if you lived here for a while, you have stories to tell. :o

Plenty of people post on here about their less than favourable experiences with the Tuk Tuk Brigade.

Anyone game to write about that one?

I just received a positive story/experience about a tuk-tuk driver. I guess there are a couple good ones out there too.

Anyhow, we need more stories and I am sure if you lived here for a while, you have stories to tell. :o

No, that is nothing compared with the real story of what really goes on, on other ( not this sites ) advice given by locals & others and as to how corrupt some local farangs are and how insidious these people are in manipulation of the rules on those site.

I guess magazines getting articles they don't need to pay for is another reason why our caring, sharing free-lance travel-writers don't get paid as much as they should?

How do you compete with "free"?

This was not a freelance gig by definition. Rather a request for short essays that could be published in print. If someone turns out to be a good writer, then of course future renumeration can be discussed. Considering how many words people at TV hack down every day without getting paid, I cant really see any difference.