Need Visa For India - Help!

I live in Songkhla (far South of Thailand). I have a flight booked from Bangkok to Kolkata on Oct. 11. I need to get a tourist visa from the India consulate but am unable to get 5 days off from work to wait in Bangkok for the visa. I could at most, be in Bangkok for one day on any Monday, Or two days Oct. 9,10 before the flight leaves. I am a U.S. citizen with a work permit. I have been in Thailand for 5 months. Would it take 5 days for me to get a visa, or would I qualify for next day service. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Wow! Thanks! :o

Problem solved (probably)

I could not find a consulate here on the internet, and a local who has lived here all her life told me that there wasn't one.

I have gotten 2 visas for india since I moved to thailand and foreign nationals cannot get a visa in less than 5 working days. Ostensibly it is to check with Interpol and such to see if you are a good guy. I have found it generally true that foreign nationals must always wait for a visa...

:D:o Problem not solved!!

I went there. When I finally found the place and walked in, there was no receptionist behind the counter, only a couple of men lounging around who appeared to be friends of the consul. The consul himself seemed to think that it was a bit of a joke that I had any expectation that he would give me a visa (I get the impression that he is a political appointment who does not want to be bothered by actually doing a job). He told me that they had still not received the proper forms from India (after a month and a half?) so they could not issue me a visa. I questioned him about the alternatives but he seemed to know even less about the India visa regulations than I did. He suggested that I go to the passport office in Kolkata and get a visa there. I asked him if I would be allowed to leave the airport to do this and he said to "ask them". I asked if there was was any way if they could send the paperwork to the Bangkok office and receive the passport in return. I received a response that was somewhere in between no "no way" or "ask them". He seemed to know even less about India visas than I do???????

Visiting India has been a dream of mine for years and I have been planning this trip for a couple of months. It is a bitter disappointment

Wow! Thanks! :D

Problem solved (probably)

I could not find a consulate here on the internet, and a local who has lived here all her life told me that there wasn't one.

The Consulate of India, Songkhla may be able to help.