American Woman Volunteer Killed

sriracha john

I think they just don't report on every foreigner murdered in Thailand. Sometimes you'll find more stories on foreigners murdered in Thai language newspapers and not English language ones. Perhaps details are hard to come by and something will come later.

For the guy who can't understand why people want to know as many possible details about horrible tragedies, I think you'll have to figure that out for yourself. Why read the news if there are sketchy details? The more details are known, the less guesses and silly theories can be thrown about. Has nothing to do with repressed feelings about nationalities, but good try. Personally, I don't think that way.

I am so sorry to hear about this horrible incident, and my heart goes out to Wanda Freeman's family. She is an inspiration.

I am also a woman who has volunteered long-term in Thailand. The details of the news are important to foreigners, because quite simply we need to know how things happen there and why. It is the only way to stay safe, since we cannot rely on anything but ourselves and our own instincts in Thailand.

My condolences to the family for this terrible tragedy.

• 2 months later...

This is awful and my heart goes out to her husband, children and family. How very, very sad.

On another note, it is indeed extremely strange and quite disconcerting why this has not been reported in the Thai and English media here.

Having just turned 19 years old in Sarawak, East Malaysia as "an innocent, naive volunteer worker", an encounter with a male there who attacked me and my Co-Volunteer went unreported.... When we left 6 months later, we discovered that 6 girls had been attacked and raped in this area close to where we stayed. The organisation we were working for didn't want to involve the Police, and we were persuaded that it was not a good idea. Had we known that these crimes had been committed, we would have pushed for the Police Report and also been a lot warier and much more alert when walking around by ourselves. Still it was the catalyst for me to take self defence classes and also to walk and try to act "Street smart" and not to be so gullible and trusting. However, I would not wish this kind of experience on anybody.

I am just so sorry to read of this pooor lady's untimely death. May she Rest in Peace and I hope the reason why there is no news is that the Police may already have the suspect in custody or don't want to raise awareness of the alleged perpetrator (sp?) as they are closing in on him.

My thoughts are with her family. Such a waste of a life given to help others, so cruelly taken by another.

Bad for tourism so these things are kept quiet.

...and perpetuate.

In this case my guess is that it is the foreign philanthropist who has the money to keep the issue out of the press and thus allow his NGO to move forward. It does not preclude the perpetrator of the crime from going free.

• 4 months later...

Anyone have any more information on this matter?

Or the suspect?

While reporting on the shooting of Gary Poretsky the Chiang Mai police said William Douglas would be the only white foreigner in Chiang Mai prison.

It begs the question, if the the suspect was an American as someone posted in this thread, where is he being held?

Forum replies or PM welcome on this or any other news in the northern provinces