Why So Many Poms

G'day. My name's Darren, I'm an Ozzie from a small town on the Gold Coast, and I'm over here on holiday for a few months with my mates Shane and Bruce.

So far we're all lovin' it. The food's great, the people're great, and the nightlife's a ripper. The only thing that's pissing me off is the sight of all these drunken long-haired Poms making <deleted> out of themselves every time they go and hang around the local sheilas.

Last night, for example, me and Shane were in this bar in Pat Pong enjoying a few tinnies when all of a sudden this bunch of pommy bastards walks in and starts talkin' a load of silly <deleted> about David Beckham. Now I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would wanna talk about some whinging poofter who can't even kick a ball straight, but what really got me was when one of these Poms starts dancin' about on the stage and decides to hassle the sheilas by tryin' to take his strides off.

Strooth! Would you believe it. Just like any other Ozzie I'm proud to be part of a nation of well-hung men, but back in Australia the only time you take your strides off in public is when you've got your speedos on underneath and you're out on the beach takin' a dip or enjoyin' a barbie.

So what's up with all these bloody Poms; why's there so bloody many of 'em, and what're they all doin' over here?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realise you are trolling, but Ill let the poms deal with you :D

Please also refer to the jokes section as that post might have something to do with it :o

BTW, I know your a pom by your "Aussie lingo, like on Neighbours", but a good wind up never the less.

Barry's brother no doubt!

You obviously thought a little harder about your moniker afer Mr T.<deleted> crashed and burnt; but the same old shit.

Someone will take your bait Dazzer no worries :o

Yep, You're a troller.....You Kiwis can't fool us!! :o

Hold the sheep Surin ... hold the sheep.

Hello Good Doctor.....Did I read in a post you were up in my hometown of Surin recently?......I've been told by the relatives...that my 5 acre dam is full and the fish are jumping....Let's know when you're back inSurin and we'll make sure we're there :D

As with all nationalities in LOS, you get the successful professional expats group and you get the deadbeat/haven't amounted to anything in life/ losers group who seem to get veiled with this false sense of self importance/acheivement when they clear Don Muang customs. Luckily the latter gruop seem to magnetize towards the gutter establishments, so you rarely have to deal with them.

As with all nationalities in LOS, you get the successful professional expats group and you get the deadbeat/haven't amounted to anything in life/ losers group who seem to get veiled with this false sense of self importance/acheivement when they clear Don Muang customs. Luckily the latter gruop seem to magnetize towards the gutter establishments, so you rarely have to deal with them.

Perhaps that is why he was entertained by them.

Are there just those 2 groups...? Rich expats and low life loser scum...?

Darren McKenzie (of oblivious UK decent)

Had you ever been to the UK would understand that most Brits (or pommies as you so eloquently put us) would rather be in Thailand than the UK because it’s a cr*phole. In fact I would prefer to live in Australia than England.

I think that because of our sixty million plus population the poor small island has no more room left so consequently people in the south are being pushed into the channel and are making swim for the continent, where everyone hates us anyway, so we do battle (still) with the Germans for sun umbrellas on the beaches of Spain.

However those of us with any modicum of intelligence flew to South East Asia to open British style 'local pub type bars' in Pattaya etc where unfortunately, for the rest of world, we are here to stay and hence harass the locals.

It's a shame I know but there you have it. It’s mass immigration and we are probably trying to colonize the world once more through sheer force of numbers.

Are there just those 2 groups...? Rich expats and low life loser scum...?

no, definately more groups.

interesting to see you substituted the word "successful" for "rich".English teachers, missionaries,aid workers etc.... in LOS can be successful in their profession.

I gather from sexy beast post that pom means British. Is the word pom a derogatory word?    What exactly does it mean?

Isn't it short for "pompous"?

pom

n : a disparaging term for English immigrants to Australia or New Zealand [syn: pommy]

Claim: "Pommy" (or "pom"), a slang term for a British person, comes from the acronym POHM, which was used to designate a "Prisoner of His Majesty."

Origins: "Pommy" (or "pom" or "pommie") is a primarily Australian (and largely derisive) slang term used to indicate a recent immigrant from Great Britain, or a Brit in general. The origins of "pommy" having been lost in the mists of time, someone needed to cook up an etymology for it, preferably one equal to the pejorative sense of the word. Accordingly, we now have the story that criminals transported to Australia were designated "Prisoners of His Majesty" or "Prisoners of Mother England" (some versions claim the convicts bore one of these legends printed on the backs of their shirts), and thus the acronym "POHM" or "POME" eventually evolved into the slang term "pom" or "pommy."

This amusing anecdote is doubtful as anything more than a fanciful invention, as acronymic origins antedating the mid-twentieth century are automatically suspect, and the use of "pommy" has been recorded at least as far back as 1915. Moreover, nobody has yet turned up corroborating evidence that "Prisoner of His Majesty" or "Prisoners of Mother England" were actually common designations for criminals transported to Australia. The best guess at this time is that "pommy" was based on the word "pomegranate" -- either because the redness of the fruit supposedly matched the typically florid British complexion, or because (like "Johnny Grant") it was used as rhyming slang for "immigrant."

British seamen were notorious for sucking limes to prevent scruvy while at sea. Seems natural enough.

As for those smelly frogs, I don't know. I'm guessing the FR in the beginning is the connection.

could it be the sound that comes out of their mouths? Like they kinda croak?

While were at it how about wops? Krauts sorta speaks for itself.

I believe the term "wop" stems from the days of immigration into the United States. WOP meant "Without Papers" and was notated on the top of the ship's manifest for illegal immigrants as they arrived at Ellis Island. Not all ships would get the notaion.

:o

Yep, You're a troller.....You Kiwis can't fool us!! <_<

Hello Good Doctor.....Did I read in a post you were up in my hometown of Surin recently?......I've been told by the relatives...that my 5 acre dam is full and the fish are jumping....Let's know when you're back inSurin and we'll make sure we're there :o

I'll look forward to that Your Excellency :D

Yep, You're a troller.....You Kiwis can't fool us!! :o

Somebody recently told me their are more sheep per head of population in Scotland than NZ.

:D

PS agree with the Two camps scenario and unfort the poms do rank as the worst behaved.

Englishman flys into an australian airport, and passes through immigration, Whilst looking over the Englishmans passport the immigration officer asks

"Do you have a criminal record?"

The englishman replies

"No, i didnt realise you still needed one"

Australia was Englands prison island.

Dispicable behaviour