Budget Airlines

tigerbeer

How would the 12Go crash affect your travelling decisions?  

213 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I for one would continue to fly with whether its Nok Air or Air Asia. Perhaps not so much with 1 2 Go simply because of their older planes.

Give you thoughts and more importantly your vote. And please refrain from flaming, or opinions that you do not need to give.

As there is already another thread on the crash, please leave your thoughts on the unfortunate crash here.

TB

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been only on SouthWest several times into Phoenix. But in the US, an airline as SouthWest is better and has newer planes than "Tier 1" bankrupt ones, not sure who should be low cost there.

In Asia, the closest to low cost was Silk Air to Langkawi but they say they are a full service airline (biz class, lounges...) and they are an off-shot of reputable Singapore Airlines.

Would not set my foot on any of Asian low-costs. Maybe on JetStar when they get their 16 Dreamliners.

the results are skewing more towards "yes" as i had anticipated.

i have sat in at least three flights of air asia in their new airbus A320s. A little tight but for a less than 3 hour flight, its bearable and more importantly safe. Air Asia has spent a lot of their marketing budgets on their purchase of 100 new airbuses.

Never have, and very unlikely to try one because my most common route is SIN-BKK-SIN and on that route the "budget" carriers are no cheaper than the "full service" ones. Supply & demand I guess...

... the thought of no pre-assigned seat also really puts me off!

flying in thailand on budget airlines is still better than travelling a bus with a crazy doped up driver ..........

I'll be keeping up my budget habits and will fly in anything as I have always done.

Only one I avoid is jetstar because I often bump people while travelling who are less than pleased with the service also there prices from aus are same as full price if booked ahead online so they lost me from the start by claiming to be a true budget airline. No doubt their prices will came down when airasia x comes into service but they have tried to suck every dollar out of travellers while claiming to be budget so can get ....... Personally I hope airasia puts them out of business.

Also airasia gets big thumbs up from me. Their airasia x has sir richard branson as investor amongst others so will feel pretty safe with them as I have done on all airasia flights.

Made up my mind over 40 years ago, after flying on a charter flight (now called budget).

Haven't flown any since, and never will.

onzestan

They are two different types of airline actually. Budget airlines operate on a regular schedule but without the extra frills of a regular airline (meals, etc). Charter airlines are hired by tour companies and can be anything from no-frills to luxurious.

I will continue to use whatever airline flies the route at the time that is most convenient to me. One accident isn't going to put me off UNLESS they ultimately attribute it to poor maintenance or negligence then I'll reconsider.

I used AirAsia a few times on the BKK-KUL route, the planes and flights were fine but what put me off was the LCCT at KLIA.

Made up my mind over 40 years ago, after flying on a charter flight (now called budget).

Haven't flown any since, and never will.

onzestan

They are two different types of airline actually. Budget airlines operate on a regular schedule but without the extra frills of a regular airline (meals, etc). Charter airlines are hired by tour companies and can be anything from no-frills to luxurious.

OK fair enough. Shows you how much I know about either. Won't change my mind though.

cheers

onzestan

Providing the planes are efficient and maintained correctly.

The pilots trained & have the the quota of flying hours per day.

There should be no difference in flying a state carrier or budget airline on a scheduled route.

As on these aircraft routes the government authorities should be frequently checking safety.

The forthcoming enquiry will show whether these government safety checks were adhered to.

:o Wiley Coyote

Very seldomly, those 'cheapos' actually offer advantageous pricing, comparing to 'normal' airlines. But than if i have to, will use them of course, depending on price & destination.. As a frequent traveller thou, i personally see little savings in the ticket prices they offer, more of a ripoff, considering their ""fuel surcharges"" are DOUBLE of those charged by most expencive of standard carriers ! As it seems, they can keep selling so called 'free' tickets' & still make heaps of profit, just on surcharges, which luckily are outlawaed in some euro countries & Have to be shown in All Inclusive price ! Now that would quickly drive Airasia etc.. out of profitable ripoff,,oups Sorry>business :o

There are many budget Airlines to choose from these days. Yes I will fly Jetstar, Australian Pilots make me feel at ease in the sky.

Never Flown 1-2-Go. Maybe cause they have MD80's & always thought they had more crashes but never liked the design.

MD80 Jackscrew Design

Maybe I've watched too many Air Plane Investigations on TV.

There should be no difference in flying a state carrier or budget airline on a scheduled route.

As on these aircraft routes the government authorities should be frequently checking safety.

The forthcoming enquiry will show whether these government safety checks were adhered to.

And this is what happens to a MD80/82 - the type in service with One-Two-Go, if it's not properly maintained. Scary video if you've the time to watch/download it.

http://stage6.divx.com/user/B787/video/155...Cutting-Corners

I'll be keeping up my budget habits and will fly in anything as I have always done.

Only one I avoid is jetstar because I often bump people while travelling who are less than pleased with the service also there prices from aus are same as full price if booked ahead online so they lost me from the start by claiming to be a true budget airline. No doubt their prices will came down when airasia x comes into service but they have tried to suck every dollar out of travellers while claiming to be budget so can get ....... Personally I hope airasia puts them out of business.

Also airasia gets big thumbs up from me. Their airasia x has sir richard branson as investor amongst others so will feel pretty safe with them as I have done on all airasia flights.

I have to disagree here, I flew to Thailand 3 months ago with Jetstar. Nice plane, ran pretty close to on time, good service and one way including taxes was $300 AUD.

If you exceed the baggage allowance they do stiff you for that, however.

I will use them again to fly home soon.

Very seldomly, those 'cheapos' actually offer advantageous pricing, comparing to 'normal' airlines. But than if i have to, will use them of course, depending on price & destination.. As a frequent traveller thou, i personally see little savings in the ticket prices they offer, more of a ripoff, considering their ""fuel surcharges"" are DOUBLE of those charged by most expencive of standard carriers ! As it seems, they can keep selling so called 'free' tickets' & still make heaps of profit, just on surcharges, which luckily are outlawaed in some euro countries & Have to be shown in All Inclusive price ! Now that would quickly drive Airasia etc.. out of profitable ripoff,,oups Sorry>business :o

i just booked myself a flight from Chiang Mai to Kuala Lumpur this morning through Air Asia after posting this thread. They had this promotion going which ends tomorrow and I got my return trip ticket CNX-KLIA including All Applicable Taxes, Insurances and Fuel Surcharges at THB2,851.00. A direct 2 hour 45 minutes flight without any stop in BKK!.

The only other alternative is THAI which would cost me close to THB10,000 CNX-KLIA via transit in BKK for a minimum 2 hours.

my point is that you have to shop around for the best fare. I am totally happy with Air Asia's choice of destinations flying in their new A320's. Thai Air Asia is getting 40 of those new planes i believe.

But yesterday's crash might change some people's views of budget airlines and the consensus seems to be towards how well the planes are maintained and managed. Hence this thread.

TB

Edited by tigerbeer

Very seldomly, those 'cheapos' actually offer advantageous pricing, comparing to 'normal' airlines. But than if i have to, will use them of course, depending on price & destination.. As a frequent traveller thou, i personally see little savings in the ticket prices they offer, more of a ripoff, considering their ""fuel surcharges"" are DOUBLE of those charged by most expencive of standard carriers ! As it seems, they can keep selling so called 'free' tickets' & still make heaps of profit, just on surcharges, which luckily are outlawaed in some euro countries & Have to be shown in All Inclusive price ! Now that would quickly drive Airasia etc.. out of profitable ripoff,,oups Sorry>business :D

i just booked myself a flight from Chiang Mai to Kuala Lumpur this morning through Air Asia after posting this thread. They had this promotion going which ends tomorrow and I got my return trip ticket CNX-KLIA including All Applicable Taxes, Insurances and Fuel Surcharges at THB2,851.00. A direct 2 hour 45 minutes flight without any stop in BKK!.

The only other alternative is THAI which would cost me close to THB10,000 CNX-KLIA via transit in BKK for a minimum 2 hours.

my point is that you have to shop around for the best fare. I am totally happy with Air Asia's choice of destinations flying in their new A320's. Thai Air Asia is getting 40 of those new planes i believe.

But yesterday's crash might change some people's views of budget airlines and the consensus seems to be towards how well the planes are maintained and managed. Hence this thread.

TB

Hah, you flying out tomorrow on the morning flight? If so, we are on the same flight :D

If i get bored waiting ill play a game of sneakily glancing at the westerners and trying to figure which one you may be. Dont worry about me wishing to hook up though, im a quiet sort and plus for all i know you may be a bit weird :o

Edited by eek

And this is what happens to a MD80/82 - the type in service with One-Two-Go, if it's not properly maintained. Scary video if you've the time to watch/download it.

http://stage6.divx.com/user/B787/video/155...Cutting-Corners

Geoff, that was a terrifying and sobering video. Thanks for that. I hope everyone on this thread watches that. Again, the need for NTSB to come and investigate this as they have the most experience with MD80/82

I mentioned in the main accident thread that NTSB will assist.

From CNN:

The National Transportation Safety Board will assist the Thai government in the investigation, according to a statement on the NTSB's Web site. Both the NTSB and the Federal Aviation Administration usually deploy investigators to crash sites involving U.S.-made aircraft.
NTSB Chairman Mark V. Rosenker has designated investigator Jill Andrews as the U.S. Accredited Representative. She will be accompanied by representatives from the Federal Aviation Administration, Boeing, and Pratt & Whitney.

However, I also said

The thing which troubles many here I think is the risk that the hidden factors, such as the management ethos and approach to matters pertaining to crew morale, efficiency, and ensuring safety of the airframe may not form part of any investigation. The proximate cause may well be established but not any contributory pressures which are implicit in the record of this carrier.

Regards

PS Thought a x-post worth while just this once.

/edit PS//

Edited by A_Traveller

I fail to see the point of this thread - please explain it to me. Would you have posted the thread two weeks ago? There have been reports of boats capsizing in Thai waters - did you start a poll about them? Or Thai bus crashes?

You mention the age of fleets but supply no data to back it up, what is the average age of the fleet? When you mention 'AirAsia' are you talking about 'AirAsia' - the parent company or the subsidiary company 'Thai AirAsia'?

swimming uphill mr_hippo ,

Low-Cost and High-Risk

Our Correspondent

17 September 2007

The crash of Thai budget carrier One-Two-Go’s MD82 airliner in Phuket Sunday, killing 88 of the people aboard, is the latest ominous reminder of how low-cost airlines have proliferated across Asia in the past half decade, raising a multitude of questions about their safety records.

snip

asiasentinel.com

I fail to see the point of this thread - please explain it to me. Would you have posted the thread two weeks ago? There have been reports of boats capsizing in Thai waters - did you start a poll about them? Or Thai bus crashes?

You mention the age of fleets but supply no data to back it up, what is the average age of the fleet? When you mention 'AirAsia' are you talking about 'AirAsia' - the parent company or the subsidiary company 'Thai AirAsia'?

the point of this thread is to see how the concept of "Budget" traveling affects the perception of the passenger when such a thing as a crash happens. you would agree that a lot of emphasis was placed on it being a "budget" airliner that crashed. hence the repercussions of flying with a budget airliner. i am focusing on airplanes and not on buses or boats. when i do, you would be the first one I send a PM to.

the poll is a simple one which does not need to be supported by an extensive research of which airliner has an older fleet.

i repeat what i wrote earlier:

please feel free to comment further.

eek

Hah, you flying out tomorrow on the morning flight? If so, we are on the same flight biggrin.gif

If i get bored waiting ill play a game of sneakily glancing at the westerners and trying to figure which one you may be. Dont worry about me wishing to hook up though, im a quiet sort and plus for all i know you may be a bit weird laugh.gif

well i am traveling sometime in january. wish it was tomorrow though !

TB