Crackdown On Thai Karaoke Girls

george

K-girls to be sidelined

BANGKOK: -- Action will soon be taken against karaoke bars that seat scantily clad hostesses by the street to attract customers, Culture Watch Centre director Ladda Tangsuphachai said yesterday.

She said women in provocative dresses should remain inside bars. Police in Bangkok and elsewhere would be asked to keep karaoke bars and other entertainment venues in check.

A large number of karaoke bars and similar venues have opened in major Bangkok areas, including Lat Phrao, Pracha Chuen and Charan Sanitwong Road. They employ female staff in provocative attire to hail passing cars.

Ladda said she sympathised with women working in the nightlife industry but added that revealing dresses should not be worn and openly seen in the streets, even though such venues operated late at night.

She said she was following up an instruction given to her by Culture Minister Khaisri Sriaroon and Deputy Education Minister Varakorn Samkoses. She said the Interior Ministry, which gives permits to entertainment venues, may not renew the permits of uncooperative venues.

Ladda said the actions to be taken were similar to those imposed on prostitutes loitering on Bangkok streets and were not meant to affect the venues in terms of profits.

--The Nation 2007-09-17

Ladda said she sympathised with women working in the nightlife industry..........

It is supposed to be an illegal industry, but yet... Sympathy, because placeing advetisement girls outside would possibly decrease business!!!!!!!!!!! How stupid...?

Why not show real concern and educate people?!

Strangely, I sort of agree with this. Next to Foodland, Lad Phrao there is a newly-opened karaoke joint with all these dolly birds hanging around outside from about 7:30. It seems really out of place as it's a main road packed with traffic in a residential area and not in any way a red light area. I don't know but it feels like very much the wrong location.

This is really funny. In China, they cracked down on Karaoke places, and in fact just closed them straight out. So, what happened? All sorts of "barber shops" and "beauty salons" popped up everywhere, and there were entire streets of these. They then clamped down on these. Well, you know the story.

Can't stop the oldest profession. Kind of like Jurassic Park. Life will find a way.

I'm beginning to think that a persons's response to the word 'crackdown' can be a good indicator of how long they've been here.

Stage 1 - Concerned/interested

Stage 2 - Doubtful

Stage 3 - Amused

Stage 4 - No response whatsoever

Most of the TV crowd seems to be happily settled at stage 3 thankfully. :o

Karaoke bars here are Karaoke bars and nothing else, no?

I mean, I have been to a handful with thai friends [of the wife] as they seem to like it, but those where all normal places with normal people. Would say I was the only white one there...

This is really funny. In China, they cracked down on Karaoke places, and in fact just closed them straight out. So, what happened? All sorts of "barber shops" and "beauty salons" popped up everywhere, and there were entire streets of these. They then clamped down on these. Well, you know the story.

Can't stop the oldest profession. Kind of like Jurassic Park. Life will find a way.

Crackdown on Karaoke in China? You must be talking about the Gobi Desert.

I can take you to the Karaokes in Shenzhen if you want. :o

I'm beginning to think that a persons's response to the word 'crackdown' can be a good indicator of how long they've been here.

Stage 1 - Concerned/interested

Stage 2 - Doubtful

Stage 3 - Amused

Stage 4 - No response whatsoever

Most of the TV crowd seems to be happily settled at stage 3 thankfully. :o

I guess you are still in stage 1 then.

K-girls to be sidelined

BANGKOK: -- Action will soon be taken against karaoke bars that seat scantily clad hostesses by the street to attract customers, Culture Watch Centre director Ladda Tangsuphachai said yesterday.

She said women in provocative dresses should remain inside bars. Police in Bangkok and elsewhere would be asked to keep karaoke bars and other entertainment venues in check.

A large number of karaoke bars and similar venues have opened in major Bangkok areas, including Lat Phrao, Pracha Chuen and Charan Sanitwong Road. They employ female staff in provocative attire to hail passing cars.

Ladda said she sympathised with women working in the nightlife industry but added that revealing dresses should not be worn and openly seen in the streets, even though such venues operated late at night.

She said she was following up an instruction given to her by Culture Minister Khaisri Sriaroon and Deputy Education Minister Varakorn Samkoses. She said the Interior Ministry, which gives permits to entertainment venues, may not renew the permits of uncooperative venues.

Ladda said the actions to be taken were similar to those imposed on prostitutes loitering on Bangkok streets and were not meant to affect the venues in terms of profits.

--The Nation 2007-09-17

About time too ! have you heard them singing ? terrible ! :o

Crackdown on Karaoke in China? You must be talking about the Gobi Desert.

I can take you to the Karaokes in Shenzhen if you want. :o

Thanks Meemiathai. I've been many times to those in Shenzhen (client entertainment of course - you should hear me sing). Shenzhen often escapes the crackdowns elsewhere. Places like Beijing, Nanjing, etc., is where they've tried the crackdowns.

They should have a crackdown on Karaoke full stop! :o

:D

A better crackdown would be on some of the idiots in governmwnt who come up with things like this for all the wrong reasons. As mentioned earlier, better they looked at education rather than image.

The collection of extremely intelligent resources, spending time and effort on this important issue, makes me believe I've finally found a thread were one can get an answer to what a 'crackdown' is: How , does one crack down on a Thai karaoke girl?

This could provide some interesting answers on a less "civilized" forum but I shall divulge. I realize that my comment was less than PC, but so am I, and so is the world.

Cheers !

Kankroo :o