Dependant Visa

Hello,

Could somebody give me some information about a "dependant visa"?

I'm a Belgiam woman, married for 27 years with a Belgian man. I have a workpermit and a non-imm. B visa, all provided by my school. My husband has no regular job and has at this moment a tourist visa. My school told me he could get a "dependant visa". Does someone know what the rules and conditions are for this visa.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

S. Van den Ende

Hello,

Could somebody give me some information about a "dependant visa"?

I'm a Belgiam woman, married for 27 years with a Belgian man. I have a workpermit and a non-imm. B visa, all provided by my school. My husband has no regular job and has at this moment a tourist visa. My school told me he could get a "dependant visa". Does someone know what the rules and conditions are for this visa.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

S. Van den Ende

He's eligible for a Non-Immigrant O visa as the legal spouse of a partner with a B visa. It may be that Immigration will change his tourist visa from touristto a Non O if you go there with him, with all your own documentation. If they won't, it is a simple application at a Thai Embassy or Consulate outside Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

been to immigrations in bangkok today with a similar setup: my wife-to-be-from-next-week (german, 30y, non-b, work permit with respectable uni) and me (german, 32y, non-b, no regular job) went to the office to find out what to do to have my visa changed to non-o.

heres what the macho-officer said: "get a job and work permit before your visa runs out. thailand is a mens country - we expect the man to support his wife and not the other way around!" :D - :D - :o

just felt like sharing it...

@ doc

will i have to take my (then) wife with me outside the country to apply for a non-o? she is expecting and our baby will be born within a couple of weeks, so that isnt an option really... or will her paperwork (incl. copy of wp) do?

I have been dependant on my Thai wife for 10 years now: :D

But they still won't give me a visa :o

Should I get a job? :D

Nah :D

It is a cultural no, no. It is not enshrined in legislation, but nevertheless it is a cultural impossibility to overcome. The man cares for the wife is the rule here

I have been dependant on my Thai wife for 10 years now: :D 

But they still won't give me a visa :o

Should I get a job? :D

Nah :D

johnnywalker: where did you try? outside thailand, too?

anybody out there having experience in this?

svandenende: did he get a dependant visa?

thanks in advance!