Malaria On Phangan?

girlx

I find it hard to believe. People can contract malaria anywhere and become ill somewhere else. Last malaria case I heard of on Koh Phangan was 10 years ago (and this is from the nurse at the local govt health clinic--so an informed person) and it was never confirmed that the person contracted it on the island.

yeah i kind of figured it might be a burmese person from the border areas or something, but couldn't it spread if they were infected and then bit by local mosquitos who then move on to infect others?

There were rumors about several malaria cases on KPN last month, one of them on Koh Maa in this basic bungalows. Maybe sb can check out there or at the hospital and give a better info than me.

was told in sanui when my wife contracted malaria on a trip home to maesot there wasnt any on samui ,when i asked why they had a malaria clinic then ,he repied to treat malaria ,this after he told us we have to go to tak province where the malaria came from as he could'nt treat this strain of malaria ,this tells me it must be here too ..............

It is possible to get it although very rare, it is more common in areas on the border with Burma.

The Thai government always say malaria in Thailand is from burmese bringing it here. Defo not always the case, they love to cover up this sort of thing and blame it on their neighbours.

You are more likely to die from coconut for sure, and motorbike also. come to think of it you are probobally more likely to be shot by a one armed midget lady boy than contract malaria on any of the islands in the gulf of Thailand.

There were rumors about several malaria cases on KPN last month, one of them on Koh Maa in this basic bungalows. Maybe sb can check out there or at the hospital and give a better info than me.

I'm visiting the family in the US at the moment but I can ask my husband, if you would like to know immediately. Otherwise, wait a few more weeks and I'll do it myself. :o

as t.s. wrote: DENGUE! not Malaria, most of the time if Dengue occures it's mistaken for Malaria!

KPG is definately prone to Dengue Fever! But it also is covered up as it was not existent!

It occurs usually in the rainy season as in NOW (October to December) depends on the rains.

I cought it 3 consecutive times in (1990-1993) in the Bang Ban Po Area - KO Samui!

The Ozzies call it "BackBreak Fever" thats exactly how it feels - BAD!

High fever, very light sensitive, joints bones, back hurt really bad!

Cold compresses, lots of water, paracetamol.... 5 Days to a week, its over but it may take up to 3 weeks to fully recover its bad!

Do you think the Tak malaria is different from the Koh Samui malaria? And where is a malaria clinic on Samui??

the malaria clinic is between the post office and bang kok bank ,in the middle of the small soi,at least it was 4 years ago ..

Do you think the Tak malaria is different from the Koh Samui malaria? And where is a malaria clinic on Samui??

There are three different strains of malaria however they are not really location specific.

Had malaria many times working in one jungle/bush location or another. First time is usually pretty

bad but you do build up resistance :o

Always carried a bottle of Chloroquine when I went to Singapore on leave

as they lock you up in hospital there for a couple of weeks if you front up with malaria (bum holiday)

Naka.