Whole Fried Fish W/ Sauce (what Is The Sauce Name Pls)

h5n1

Some time ago I had a great luncheon with a Thai friend of mine. Fish was ordered and she teasingly called it "hai-so". The restaurant is now closed as the cook had a motorcycle accident and its low season. Anyway...

The sauce features:

Thick, dark brown color

Pungent/Spicy

Cashew Nuts

Keffir lime (Bai Makout)

Lemon Grass (Takai)

Small Chilli's

It was hot but not 'issan' hot

Absolutely delicious. Name? Recipe?

Some time ago I had a great luncheon with a Thai friend of mine. Fish was ordered and she teasingly called it "hai-so". The restaurant is now closed as the cook had a motorcycle accident and its low season. Anyway...

The sauce features:

Thick, dark brown color

Pungent/Spicy

Cashew Nuts

Keffir lime (Bai Makout)

Lemon Grass (Takai)

Small Chilli's

It was hot but not 'issan' hot

Absolutely delicious. Name? Recipe?

:D There are a number of different types of fish that are commonly cooked whole fried and served with a spicy soy and chilli sauce or a sweet-sour sauce. Wouldn't know the names, my Thai G/F does the ordering and I just pay the bill. (She claims that's a fair division of the work.) I have had fried Red Grouper with sweet-sour sauce before, but that doesn't sound like what you mean.

By the way there are a couple of good chinese run fish restaurants on Sukhumvit Road going out past the Soi Thonglor intersection (Soi 55) about 1 block farther down Sukhumvit Road. They are NOT fancy and just have the rickety woodan chairs and tables you would normally find in such a place. All they have is VERY GOOD fresh fish. Pick yours from the display outside. My thai G/F just calls them "See-Fa" restaurants. I think they are both run by the same chinese family. They are about 2 or 3 shops apart. Parking is behind the shops. Try them, you'll like it. No frills, just good food.

:o

I guess it is " pla xxx samunplai" ปลาxxxสมุนไพร

xxx = species for example , pla chon samunplai ( snake-head fish with herbs) ปลาช่อนสมุนไพร

However, there are some different decoration of this dish. And it depends on a recipe of a restuarant

food8.jpg

food2.jpg

D5803838-6.jpg

D5746446-3.jpg

Wow, I wonder how they got the orange stuff sliced into a latticework like that?

Amazing Thailand!

:o

I guess it is " pla xxx samunplai" ปลาxxxสมุนไพร

xxx = species for example , pla chon samunplai ( snake-head fish with herbs) ปลาช่อนสมุนไพร

However, there are some different decoration of this dish. And it depends on a recipe of a restuarant

food2.jpg

Thanks for all your input.

BambinA - it is #4, I am almost certain. I forgot it has roasted long red chilli also.

I've eaten #3 many a time, that is very common.

The carrot is a nice twist, adds some veggie to the fish and the presentation is fantastic.

I tried to locate at kapook but it's all Thai.

Yeah sure, the recipe is key, but I'd like the name. We ordered it again at another restaurant near by and my friend sort of conveyed what the recipe was. When it came out it wasn't half as good.