Sending Classic Bike Parts From Uk

Boo

hubby wants to buil a bike out of parts he will collect but as his brother is the family mechanic & our relocation he wants to ship it in bits to los & build & ride it there.

We plan on sending a container with our household stuff in it anyway so can he just pack the bike parts in that then register it once it is build & roadworthy???

Apologies if this is a stupid question but he has his eye on a triumph that needs doing (has a frame, wheels etc but needs some parts sourced & engine rebuilt ) so doesn't want to waste his money if he can't send it.

Cheers

I don't know the Import procedure today but several years ago I imported a Honda Hurricane 750 from Japan ansd was need to register 38!! month and paid a fortune of Tax. Later imported some Parts for my Honda VFR 750 F1 and need to get it out from Costum 5 month!

If you place the parts in an Container without to list correctly and trough you'll face huge problem if the Costum find out.

May you have a better change if you've the proof that the parts was owned more than two years in your home country by you!

I would checkout with the Costum to first (before shipping).

After my experience, though with cars, I ended up wondered what would happen if I wanted to import a Pocher kit {now defunct 1/8 scale classic car kits made in Italy}, since my experience was that Thai Customs were unwilling to accept component import, without viewing it as a fiendish 'scam' to import an entire vehicle. Never did find the right term for translation of hobby.

In short, problematic.

Maybe this would be best in MC forum to gain maximum traction from those who might 'know' and have more relevant experience.

Regards

hubby wants to buil a bike out of parts he will collect but as his brother is the family mechanic & our relocation he wants to ship it in bits to los & build & ride it there.

We plan on sending a container with our household stuff in it anyway so can he just pack the bike parts in that then register it once it is build & roadworthy???

Apologies if this is a stupid question but he has his eye on a triumph that needs doing (has a frame, wheels etc but needs some parts sourced & engine rebuilt ) so doesn't want to waste his money if he can't send it.

Cheers

Hi

As an avid biker AND triumph fan (I'v had 4 in the Uk) ,If it were possible what your hubby wants, I would have done it! If you scan this forum for people wanting to import vehicles (or part of), I think you will find that the Customs taxes/scams outway the true value of the vehicle. It seems that you end up paying at least 'double bubble' for your pride and joy(or you lose it completly).

IMO he'd be better off buying a correctly registered Jap import once he's in Thailand. Check out a Yamaha SR400/500, they look very much like retro British thumpers (with Twin leading brake shoes as standard,just like a triton).Or if he's very rich visit the Triumph dealer in BKK for a new one.

Good Luck

:o

My guess as a non-expert is that he'd have to bring in almost everything he needed, all the parts, even the Whitworth threaded bolts, plus spares for the next several years, and be absolutely sure the parts would fit when he got here, if he got them here. My first real bikes were both classic Triumphs, and they kept breaking! For good reason, the founder of the Lucas electrics firm was called "The Prince of Darkness."

My guess as a non-expert is that he'd have to bring in almost everything he needed, all the parts, even the Whitworth threaded bolts, plus spares for the next several years, and be absolutely sure the parts would fit when he got here, if he got them here. My first real bikes were both classic Triumphs, and they kept breaking! For good reason, the founder of the Lucas electrics firm was called "The Prince of Darkness."

Hi Peaceblondie

I know what you mean but for the last 20+ years Triumphs hav'nt leaked oil or had cr@p electrics.My 1981 T140E was one of the best bikes for reliability, I'v ever owned (& it even went round corners well).

Dave

:o

Edited by Dave the Dude

Even if you were to get all the pieces in and not go broke paying off the friendly customs people, getting a legit plate / book would be impossible. I'm now waiting over 2 months with no end in sight for a plate / book on a big bike with all paperwork and a "friend of a friend" on the inside. BUT- if you are not going to ride in a city and never going to sell it, go w/o a plate.

My most recent experience with customs- I got clipped for 4,000 baht duty on a 7,000 baht exhaust can for a big yamaha. my choice was have it sent back.

Bring in all parts by hand or get friends to bring them in for you and then NO import duties. The hard part is the frame and engine but should be a lot cheaper than a whole bike or even a whole bike in bits. I had a complete head brought in for a four cylinder bike by a friend and NO duties.

Per Customs documentation, used motorcycles and used motorcycle parts are considered restricted merchandise and cannot be imported. This applies to automobiles as well. Are these rules applied evenly and fairly is anyone's guess. One can bring in their pride and joy, and pay through the nose in taxes, if they get permission from the Ministry of Commerce in Bangkok. There are numerous hoops you must jump through to get this letter. A pamphlet exists regarding this exception to the law and can be gotten at the MOC office.