Sonthi May Become Deputy PM For Surayud

george

Khunying Jaruwan says CNS Chairman’s resignation not affect AEC’s work

Member of the Assets Examination Committee (AEC) Khunying Jaruwan Maintaka (จารุวรรณ เมณฑกา) says Gen.Sonthi Boonyaratglin’s resignation from chairman of the Council for National Security (CNS) will not affect AEC’s work as he has never interfered with AEC’s investigation of corruption cases.

Khunying Jaruwan also affirms that whoever the new CNS chairman will be will not have an influence over AEC. However, she says AEC still does not know who it should submit its annual performance report to.

Sources say Air Force Commander and CNS’s First Deputy Chairman ACM Chalit Pookpasuk (ชลิต พุกผาสุก) might be named as new CNS chief.

Khunying Jaruwan says further that AEC and the Office of the Auditor-General have handed over their investigations of corruption cases to other relevant government units, including the National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC).

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 02 October 2007

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gen. Sonthi officially appointed as DPM

His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej has royally endorsed the appointment of Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratglin (สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน) as the Deputy Prime Minister, taking effect October 1st, 2007.

Gen. Sonthi has retired from the position of the Royal Thai Army Commander-in-Chief on September 30th and officially stepped down from the post of the Council for National Security Chairman on October 1st.

In addition, the Cabinet has received the proposal requesting the interim government to settle on the appointment of Deputy Prime Minister and Industry Minister Kosit Panpiemras (โฆสิต ปั้นเปี่ยมรัษฎ์) or the Minister to the Prime Minister’s Office, Khunying Dhipavadee Meksawan (ทิพาวดี เมฆสวรรค์), to be the acting Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Minister respectively.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 03 October 2007

BKK Governor and entourage congratulated newly appointed DPM Sonthi

The Deputy Prime Minister, Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratglin (สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน), who is the former Council for National Security (CNS) Chairman and ex-Royal Thai Army Commander-in-Chief, welcomed the Bangkok Governor, Mr. Apirak Kosayodhin (อภิรักษ์ โกษะโยธิน), and a group officials at his residence this morning (October 3rd).

BR> The Bangkok Governor and entourage gave well wishes to Gen. Sonthi on the occasion of his 61st birthday anniversary. However, the atmosphere at Gen. Sonthi’s official residence today was not as lively as yesterday.

Following Gen. Sonthi’s appointment as the Deputy Prime Minister overseeing security, commanders from different armed forces, civil servants and many public members traveled to Gen. Sonthi’s official residence to greet and congratulate him since yesterday morning.

Gen. Sonthi to study DPMs duties before proceeding with the role

The newly appointed Deputy Prime Minister overseeing national security, Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratglin, says he needs a day to study the responsibilities of the post before he officially implements them.

Deputy Prime Minister Sonthi Boonyaratglin (สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน) reveals he that he has yet to clearly acknowledge the detailed scope of the job, and he would have to thoroughly study the matter and would then continue with his new duties.

Gen. Sonthi has resigned as the Chairman of the Council of the National Security (CNS) one day prior to the official endorsement by His Majesty the King as the Deputy Prime Minister responsible for national security.

Gen. Anupong says appointment of DPM Sonthi will not damage CNS image

Gen. Anupong Paochinda (อนุพงษ์ เผ่าจินดา), the Royal Thai Army Commander-in-Chief and Council for National Security (CNS) Secretary-General, says the appointment of former CNS Chairman Sonthi Boonyaratglin (สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน) as the Deputy Prime Minister overseeing security will not tarnish the image of the council.

Meanwhile, certain groups view that Gen. Sonthi has the intention to inherit the CNS’s authority following his entrance to the Cabinet. However, Gen. Anupong says he is not worried about the criticisms on this issue.

The CNS Secretary-General says the CNS members will hold a meeting in the next few days to discuss their roles and duties. However, he says there is no need for the CNS reshuffle as its members are already performing well.

Gen. Anupong says things will be clearer after the meeting, including the issue whether the CNS will send another representative instead of Gen. Sonthi to take part in the Cabinet meetings.

You mean to say you don't believe there will be a civilian government next year?

If there is a civilian government it will be closely controlled by the military. It may even include selected former military personnel turned politicians with influence who have been behind recent events in Thailand.

Don't tell me you missed the widely publicised statements saying they would hold further coups if things do not go according to plan, and today's earlier announcement that Martial Law will remain even after an 'elected' Government is chosen.

The 'coup' had the legitimacy of popular acclaim; and it was a stronger legitimacy even than Thaksin's ballot-box landslide.

Utter nonsense.

You forget when the tanks and guns come out people get scared and submissive, especially Thais knowing first hand what can happen when the military interfere in Politics. Perhaps you mistake that for "popular acclaim"? Or perhaps you believe recent Junta propaganda?

You have marginalized millions of rural poor Thais that voted for Thaksin and their votes as not being legitimate, showing typical contempt towards them, as most of the pro-coup supporters continue to do on here.

The hierarchical, presentational nature of the Thai outlook may have results that stick in the gullets of some of its Western-centric equalitarian visitors, but it works for the Thais, when the chips are down.

Once again you would try to have us believe that Thai version of Democracy somehow differs from Western Democracy and it is somehow mystical or obscure to foreigners. It isn't.

Trying to make it appear so only serves to cover up the real issues and those are that yet again the poor majority have been disenfranchised by the ruling class rich minority.

Saying coups work for Thais only serves to insult to the majority that voted during the democratic process.

The people were so scared when the tanks arrived they came out with flowers and posed with their families by the tanks.

The rural poor, as you call them, are not marginalised, they can vote for Samak, Thaksin's right wing nominee in the next election. His party had a full page advertisement in the Thai papers yesterday announcing 200 of their candidates.

Contempt towards the people was continually shown by Thaksin who never allowed any TRT MPs or members to criticise the party.

Contempt towards the justice system has been continually shown by TRT who to this day have never said sorry for trying to fix the voting in various constituencies by paying proxies to run. And Frank continues to attempt to sue anyone and everyone even though he says the justice system is no longer just!

Regarding the rich minority, I think you may find Frank tops the bill there with his sidekicks such as Suriya.

Thai democracy is different from the West, folks vote for MPs who get things done for their constituencies, their areas. That's why MPs can swap parties at will, there's no ideology apart from The South with The Democrats. MPs will simply go with the party that has the best chance of getting elected.

Look at the history of the TRT MPs, more parties than most people have had hot dinners(somtam).

Thaksin bought them all up and it was very useful to claim he was doing it for the poor but he got caught eating at the trough and now must face the consequencies.

Only he's too cowardly too.

Until money politics is subdued it will be hard for truly decent politicians to emerge.

Thai democracy certainly is different from the west; it's failed democracy in every sense of the word.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of Thaksin but, he's got good reason not to return to Thailand; The democratically elected prime minister overthrown by the military, who now plan to hold elections but, beforehand the leader relinquishes his military position and becomes a politician? They might be able to fool Thais but, they can't fool farangs.

Going back to Thaksin, I guess that Manchester City supporters would say Thailand's loss & their gain. :o

Deputy Prime Minister Sonthi Boonyaratglin (สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน) reveals he that he has yet to clearly acknowledge the detailed scope of the job, and he would have to thoroughly study the matter and would then continue with his new duties.

One has to appreciate his honesty, but the comment above really says it all about this government.

You mean to say you don't believe there will be a civilian government next year?

The power will be in Anupong's hands, Sonthi will have as much say in the military as Surayud does now.

Mr.Toad, Surayud has always been Sonthi's superior, not a deputy.

Irony..... :o

is this the same guy that assured the public that he wouldn't take a position in the government, wouldnt be staging a coup and was going to solve the problem in the south?

It is the same one. Looks like he fits the full criteria of being a career politician. :o

Can anyone outline the scope of Sonthi’s power in the seats he now holds? I am mostly interested in national security and what if any control he has over the military and his ability to deal with Thaksin and his team of bad boys.

is this the same guy that assured the public that he wouldn't take a position in the government..

When did he say that? When he was the Supreme Commander and the head of CNS and could hire and fire the PM?

He's not in the same position now.

Surayud, btw, is also a retired Supreme Commander and is Sonthi's senior (and always has been his senior).

Another drug war?! :o Wonder what all my human rights buddies like Plus and SJ have to say about this?

Thai coup leader in denial after landing Cabinet job

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Thailand's coup leader General Sonthi Boonyaratglin was officially named a deputy prime minister yesterday, but he denied that his appointment to the Cabinet was an attempt to cling to power.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej signed off on Sonthi's new job just two days after the general retired from the army and resigned as head of the junta.

But Sonthi insisted yesterday that he was not trying to hang on to power.

"Taking up this post at this time should not be seen as me trying to cling to power," he said.

"I am accepting this burden to help the government oversee our country. I am not getting into politics."

Sonthi was the first Muslim to head the army in the majority Buddhist country. He led the coup that overthrew twice-elected prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, but has promised to restore democracy with December 23 polls.

He said his first priority would be cracking down on drug traffickers.

Separately, government spokesman Yongyuth Mayalarp became the latest official to quit for contravening anti- graft laws that limit shareholdings after declaring he held more than a 5 percent share in a TV production company.

All three of his deputies quit along with him.

In a growing shares scandal, five ministers have resigned recently after being accused of breaching the limit.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

Another drug war?! :o Wonder what all my human rights buddies like Plus and SJ have to say about this?

Thailand's coup leader General Sonthi Boonyaratglin was officially named a deputy prime minister yesterday, but he denied that his appointment to the Cabinet was an attempt to cling to power.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej signed off on Sonthi's new job just two days after the general retired from the army and resigned as head of the junta.

"Taking up this post at this time should not be seen as me trying to cling to power," he said.

"I am accepting this burden to help the government oversee our country. I am not getting into politics."

Sonthi was the first Muslim to head the army in the majority Buddhist country. He led the coup that overthrew twice-elected prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, but has promised to restore democracy with December 23 polls.

Separately, government spokesman Yongyuth Mayalarp became the latest official to quit for contravening anti- graft laws that limit shareholdings after declaring he held more than a 5 percent share in a TV production company.

In a growing shares scandal, five ministers have resigned recently after being accused of breaching the limit.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

Any actuion against the spread of drugs must be done within the scope of the law, or if needed laws can be changed. To do otherwise reduces the state to a mere criminal eneterprise no better or arguably worse than any crimial organization.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

Any actuion against the spread of drugs must be done within the scope of the law, or if needed laws can be changed. To do otherwise reduces the state to a mere criminal eneterprise no better or arguably worse than any crimial organization.

I agree and the same considerations should be applied to the military officers who illegally seized power in Thailand last year.The fact that the illegal act was subsequently "legitimised" is neither here nor there.To do otherwise reduces the state to a criminal enterprise, as you correctly point out.Sonthi should be regarded as the dishonourable mediocrity that his actions and comments have shown him to be.He will neve be welcome in civilised countries in this region or elsewhere.His spiritual companions are the Burmese junta.Shame on them all and to the equivocating juntophiles whose hatred of Thaksin distorts their moral perspective, even to the point of criticising neutral scrutiny at the fothcoming poll because it doesn't give the junta the chance to compete equally in the corrupt influence of the results.

I guess if it is in the job description then it has to be done.

He was asked to help his country although some may suggest it was planned to look like it did and it was in the works all along.

Not much to say except give him a few weeks to see how he adjusts and what little tricks Thaksin has for him.

:o Only in Thailand one can be a deputy PM without "getting into politics".

Not only in Thailand, any country living under military regime would qualify.

Politics means making disgusting compromises with unspeakable opponents for the sake of power. Sonthi is quite above that, and practically everyone else in the present govt, too.

They don't care about PR, popularity or image anymore than an average person trying to live at peace with himself and I bet can't wait for elections to relieve them of their misery.

:o Only in Thailand one can be a deputy PM without "getting into politics".

Not only in Thailand, any country living under military regime would qualify.

Politics means making disgusting compromises with unspeakable opponents for the sake of power. Sonthi is quite above that, and practically everyone else in the present govt, too.

They don't care about PR, popularity or image anymore than an average person trying to live at peace with himself and I bet can't wait for elections to relieve them of their misery.

Surayud I grant you is to some extent above the fray given his innate decency and gentlemanly qualities.You are right also that many in the government cannot wait to leave the political scene.I do think the junta wories about PR, not surprisingly given its declining popularity and record of incompetence.I think you are wrong about Sonthi who is in equal measures incompetent,scared and deeply provincial.I also disagree that politics has perforce to be a dirty business.For example it would be better to stand aside than to join with Samak who is ,to use your expression, a particularly disgusting example of the breed.

Well, you can't stand aside in politics. You are either put up or you are out. That's the problem with Abhist, btw. He doesn't have the hunger and he won't get his hands dirty as a matter of principle. I'm pretty sure he'll step aside after the elections unless Dems win an overwhelming majority.

We have fundamentally different perception of Sonthi, I recon.

Wonder what all my human rights buddies like Plus and SJ have to say about this?

I'd say it's a reasonable priority so as long as it doesn't involve the non-judicial slaughtering of thousands like Thaksin initiated.

He was asked to help his country although some may suggest it was planned to look like it did and it was in the works all along.

Not much to say except give him a few weeks to see how he adjusts and what little tricks Thaksin has for him.

Nobody asked him to help his country.

He seized power and ######ed up on all accounts.

He failed miserably on all he promised to deliver.

Can't you see ???

That's the problem with Abhist, btw. He doesn't have the hunger and he won't get his hands dirty as a matter of principle. I'm pretty sure he'll step aside after the elections unless Dems win an overwhelming majority.

I am sure you can explain this better if you try as I am not sure what you are getting at. What exactly do you mean by getting his hands dirty? As for being involved in a tough political fight, you sell Abhisit short, not to mention the seniors in the Democratic party.

Wonder what all my human rights buddies like Plus and SJ have to say about this?

I'd say it's a reasonable priority so as long as it doesn't involve the non-judicial slaughtering of thousands like Thaksin initiated.

...and actively implemented by other very senior figures, supported by the great majority of Thais from the highest to the lowest in the face of a dreadful and pervasive social evil.Doesn't make the policy right or exonerate Thaksin but without context the kind of statement above is useless pap designed only to damage Thaksin.The more thoughtful juntophiles take care to avoid or at least minimise reliance on the drugs war argument.

Well, you can't stand aside in politics. You are either put up or you are out. That's the problem with Abhist, btw. He doesn't have the hunger and he won't get his hands dirty as a matter of principle. I'm pretty sure he'll step aside after the elections unless Dems win an overwhelming majority.

We have fundamentally different perception of Sonthi, I recon.

I will think further about Sonthi.Perhaps there's something I'm missing but the public evidence isn't too flattering.

As to Abhisit you might be right but keeping clean (ie total break with stale Thai political culture) could be a smart political move rather than a useless stand of principle.We'll see soon enough what stuff he is made of, but my fear is Dems will falter badly in old TRT heartlands.

Nobody asked him to help his country.

He seized power and ######ed up on all accounts.

He failed miserably on all he promised to deliver.

Can't you see ???

Please clarify all your points with nouns, I want to be sure we are talking about the same person here. (he is just starting this week in this job)

Edited by John K

"One can enter politics in many ways. You can control politics from behind the scenes. The most important thing in politics is money. If you have cash, you can have somebody do things for you."

says Sonthi, so whos got the money in Thailand?