Will Items Sent As Gift Be Taxed?

mmkin

I have some items from Singapore to be sent to me via DHL. These are electronics and a set of a computer. These are Brand new and for personal use

i was wondering if i get it sent as a "GIFT" to me in Bangkok, will i be tax for this import shipment?

Edited by mmkin

If it's coming FedEx or DHL (or any other courier) you'll get hammered for duty, VAT, storage, 'clearance' and any other miscellaneous charge they can think of, figure on at least 60% of the CIS (Cost Insurance Shipping) total.

To be honest a low-cost flight to Singapore may well be cheaper.

EDIT The 'gift' tag very often works if you're using the regular mail (never does with the couriers) as it gets less scrutiny by our friends in customs, definately not guaranteed though.

Edited by Crossy

I have some items from Singapore to be sent to me via DHL. These are electronics and a set of a computer. These are Brand new and for personal use

i was wondering if i get it sent as a "GIFT" to me in Bangkok, will i be tax for this import shipment?

Yes - you will get hammered for taxes and import duties (the freight cost will also be added to the amount to be taxed).

A trip to Singapore to pick the items up in person will be much cheaper.