First 12 Mo Retirement Extension On Non-imm O Visa

Could someone knowledgeable possibly answer the following technicality for me:

How early during the life of a 12 mo multiple-entry non-immigrant O visa (for retirement purposes) can you apply for your first 12 mo local extension?

If I come in to start my retirement on a 3 mo single-entry non-imm O visa, I believe I should normally apply for the first 12 mo extension during the last 30 days of the 90 days' allowed stay (having naturally met all the other documentation and requirements, such as money from abroad already in my bank account for three months, etc etc). This seems clear.

If, on the other hand, I come in on a 12 mo multiple-entry non-imm O visa, am I expected also to wait until near the end of that visa's 12 mo validity (or the last of the 90 day periods of stay allowed) before applying for the first 12 mo extension? Or can I apply much earlier during the life of the visa? For example, apply for the extension when I've been in Thailand five months and am in my second 90 day 'window'?

It may seem a silly question - why possibly go for the first 12 mo extension before your initial 12 mo multiple-entry has run out?

The reason is that when I arrive this time I may need some flexibility to come in and go out for some while. So the multi-entry 12 mo visa looks attractive. However, I want to be in possession of the locally-issued 12mo extension (rather than just a 90 day entry stamp) when I ship in my household effects. This may improve my chances of getting my goods through customs with minimal duty etc. ( I know that 12 mo extensions for retirement purposes now no longer officially have duty free privileges, but the actual application of the rule in Customs still seems often to be quite liberal.) I don't want to find myself ready to ship in my goods but find that I have to still wait several months before I can apply for the first 12m retirement extension.

The last 30 days of any visa entry. So it could be the first if you want. Remember if you use 800k bank method the money must have been in bank 3 months.

As for travel the re-entry permit will take care of that after you obtain an extension of stay.

The last 30 days of any visa entry. So it could be the first if you want. Remember if you use 800k bank method the money must have been in bank 3 months.

As for travel the re-entry permit will take care of that after you obtain an extension of stay.

Many thanks, Lopburi3, for your clear info, as usual.

This gives me all I need for planning.

May well now put the 800k in bank right now, come in a month with single entry, sit out the additional two months (don't really need to travel out in Nov/Dec - Christmas is much better in Thailand!) and then get the 12m extension right away in Jan.