Electric Mosquito Killers For Home

chiangmaibruce

hi all

i am seeking recommendations from people who have bought/used electric mossie killers in their homes. Yes I have done a search on Thaivisa already. Most of the previous posts relate to the hand held (tennis racket) type OR the plug into socket-type that burn pads or liquids and hence put possibly toxic vapours in the air. We need some last line of defence protection for our little boy, We already have screens on the windows, etc. We prefer something that is reasonably quiet - I understand that some of the zappers are more for outdoor use and make a sound like an electric chair going off each time an insect hits the mesh. Also products you can source in Chiang Mai please.

I was in Carrefour the other day and there were many types there, ranging in price from less than 500 baht up to almost 4,000 baht (black hole brand). I would want to me VERY sure of the effectiveness of the machine before paying anything like that much.

Other research on the web gives mixed messages about how well these things work. One scientific web site I looked at said that there were significant variations in effectiveness not only from brand to brand, but also at different times of the year, and also from one mossie species to another! This is getting complicated! Any tips/advice gratefully received.

hi all

i am seeking recommendations from people who have bought/used electric mossie killers in their homes. Yes I have done a search on Thaivisa already. Most of the previous posts relate to the hand held (tennis racket) type OR the plug into socket-type that burn pads or liquids and hence put possibly toxic vapours in the air. We need some last line of defence protection for our little boy, We already have screens on the windows, etc. We prefer something that is reasonably quiet - I understand that some of the zappers are more for outdoor use and make a sound like an electric chair going off each time an insect hits the mesh. Also products you can source in Chiang Mai please.

I was in Carrefour the other day and there were many types there, ranging in price from less than 500 baht up to almost 4,000 baht (black hole brand). I would want to me VERY sure of the effectiveness of the machine before paying anything like that much.

Other research on the web gives mixed messages about how well these things work. One scientific web site I looked at said that there were significant variations in effectiveness not only from brand to brand, but also at different times of the year, and also from one mossie species to another! This is getting complicated! Any tips/advice gratefully received.

I brought over two "bug zappers" from Australia when I was in Samuii and then sold them when I moved which was really stupid thing as it turned out. They were high quality units that looked like a colonial style lantern. They combined an ultrasonic sound to attract the mosquitos and a high tension zapper to kill them. The mosquitos that bite are all female - they need the blood to make eggs and the sound they make is when the fluids boil and the exoskeleton explodes - the more blood the louder the "pop"

I have seen some units in HomePro and they range as you say from about 500 baht upwards. I think you need to assess the amount of protection you need/want. A reasonably small but effective unit designed for indoors will be much different to a large commercial style for a restaurant. Find one that looks like it will be suitable and then check it out.

There are other options to consider, you have installed screens but a fan that circulates air is effective. Mosquitos can't fly if the air moves more than about 5 knots so a fan on medium that oscilates will disrupt their flying. There are some talcum powders and creams that contain citrus, lemon grass, or similar and they deter the mosquitos. Check the ingredient list on the back and make sure it doesn't use artificial vapours and toxic ingredients instead.

A small amount of lemon or orange oil put on a low wattage bulb will vapourise and help to deter mosquitos as well. I think that is a safer option over using an oil bath over a candle or similar.

You may need to use a combination of things, small children have very soft skin and the blood vessels are close to the surface making them a prime target meal for mosquitos.

hope this helps

CB

I bought one and only used it a couple of times. Why? Because they all work by attracting the mosquitoes and that includes any that are outside the room so you need to ensure that the room is completely mozzie proof before you buy such a machine otherwise you will be attracting whole squadrons of them into the nursery. Just an idea for a last line of defence (to use your words) use a mozzie net over the bed/cot instead!

I have tried a few of the bug zappers. I am in Chiang Mai. Most of them didnt have any result for mosquitos.

Black Hole is the one I now use. It usually retails for 3900 baht, although HomePro in Chiang Mai was recently selling it for 2,900 baht on a promotion. Lotus Tesco also sells it - last time I noticed - for 3,500 baht. Every time I clean it - I can see that it gets results.

The "white light" tubes (x 2) need replacing every 9 months or so in my experience. They cost around 270 baht each.

I use two of these in the house - but in conjunction with one mosquito coil of an evening - and the Baygon Electric Liquid Vaporiser near the bedrooms. Windows and doors closed in bedrooms at night - and no 'bright' lights in bedrooms. The Black Hole works best when in an area where there is not other lights.

External house lights on of a night - and curtains drawn.

I turn the Black Hole on in the bedroom/s after dusk - then turn it off when sleeping - as it does make a 'fan' noise.

Some other ThaiVisa comments on the Black Hole - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/blog/swelters/index.php?

I have found that no one solution is enough. So I use a few. Overkill ? Maybe. But I havent had a mosquito bite in 2 years.

another tip would be to check around the home for any pools of stagnant water where mozzies hatch, usually amongst damp dark areas, plant trays et al, and get rid of them.

also close doors and windows before sunset, and before turning on lights in your house.

I also usually find them on our clothes, on our clothes hanger outside when drying during the night, so I make sure I close the door before shaking them off. They seem to like dark corner areas like behind the washing machine et al. so I spray some baygon around & behind now & again. I stick to the above and we dont have too much mozzies about :o

Just bought one of these at target for $27.00 usd. Was going to bring over next trip. Wonder if its worth it or not to bring?? SOunds like the same thing there. Mixed results???

They say to move it away from people to attract mossies away from you and kill them...

Not sure if they really do any good..............

post-32521-1190506377_thumb.jpg

post-32521-1190506395_thumb.jpg

post-32521-1190507370_thumb.jpg

post-32521-1190507382_thumb.jpg

post-32521-1190507413_thumb.jpg

Edited by INDI12

Just bought one of these at target for $27.00 usd. Was going to bring over next trip. Wonder if its worth it or not to bring?? SOunds like the same thing there. Mixed results???

They say to move it away from people to attract mossies away from you and kill them...

This is probably along the same lines as the bug zappers we are discussing. In Oz every store selling food must have a commerical grade zapper installed. They usually have two "black light" tubes and a high tension coil arrangement. They are usually unaesthetic but highly effective. The ones I brought over are a bit more "visually appealing" but also very effective. In Samuii there are millions of mosquitos and some nights all you can hear is the constant "zap" "friiizzzzzzzzz" "pop" as it devestates entire populations of bugs. It also attracts resident geckos and one night I was working away to the usual sound of "zap" etc and suddenly there was a "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuut" "zaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap" and the mother of all invention "POP" One of the lizards had decided to have a closer look and barbequed himself - it smelled like bbq chicken which just may answer the age old question of "what does a tuk ker (gecko) taste like?"

CB

Looking around on the web, I found some interesting info.

The 2 pictures are of a device that is similar to the Black Hole but it doesn't generate carbon dioxide. It is Australian. I have also attached a pdf file that provides some very useful info about mozzies & how these mosquito traps work.

Below is a link that gives info about the Black Hole. It is a New Zealand site & the English is much better than on the manufacturers site.

http://www.flybusters.co.nz/index.html?pat...s/mosquito.html

Also, the standard "combination UV light with high voltage grid" style insect killer is not effective for catching mosquitos. It is designed for larger insects that are only attracted by light.

not sure if the voltage would be the same unless it was dual voltage. Thailand has 230-240 volts 50 hertz if im not mistaken. If you plug in your zapper here it probably will zap once and die. :o

Looking around on the web, I found some interesting info.

The 2 pictures are of a device that is similar to the Black Hole but it doesn't generate carbon dioxide. It is Australian. I have also attached a pdf file that provides some very useful info about mozzies & how these mosquito traps work.

you probably could add yeast and sugar to the soapy water so it could produce co2, but would need to change the mixture every week or so

not sure if the voltage would be the same unless it was dual voltage. Thailand has 230-240 volts 50 hertz if im not mistaken. If you plug in your zapper here it probably will zap once and die. :D

Absolutely, utterly & thoroughly agreed :o Don't bring it.

Thanks one and all for your helpful suggestions.

Yes, the zapper needs to be one part of an overall approach to keep these nasties out of the house.

Yes, we use a mossie net on the cot but with our 'luuk ling' the only way the net will still be in place in the morning, would be if we bound his hands and feet with masking tape the night before :o

The Black Hole unit is on special at Home Pro so we got one today and will see how it goes (it burns away as I type this). Hopefully I will need a shovel to clean out the carcasses in the morning.

Cheers

CB

• 2 weeks later...

Post script: Just went in to HomePro again this week, and wouldn't you know it ... they have further reduced the discount price on the Black Hole mosquito gizmo .... another few hundred baht off .... don't you hate it when that happens.

It is catching the little suckers but the jury is still out about exactly how effective the thing is just yet.

C.B

not sure if the voltage would be the same unless it was dual voltage. Thailand has 230-240 volts 50 hertz if im not mistaken. If you plug in your zapper here it probably will zap once and die. :D

Absolutely, utterly & thoroughly agreed :D Don't bring it.

Not true - the stipulated voltage is the same as in Australia/New Zealand/UK however the plugs are different. You will simply need to buy a plug adaptor or do a change over to the standard plug here. I have used this method on all my electrical goods from Oz.

What you must not do is to use something from the US which runs on 110v - that definitely will "zap once and die" - sort of like the All Blacks :o

CB

• 1 year later...

I quite like the simplicity and ingenuity of this device. However I could not get the 'mixture' to start fermenting. I dilligently folllowed the instructions and used Instant Yeast from Makro. If it worked for you can you please advise which type of yeast you used?

Many thanks

You could also try this DIY Trap It works!

I purchased 3 of the mosquito traps mentioned, I found they only worked in low light / no light which wasn't ideal as i bought them for my bar + restaurant.

Have been using the lantern type electric mosquito killer, it has a blue colored fluorescent light that attracts mosquito and kills them when they go through the electrically charged wire. You can actually see dozens of mosquitos killed. There is no chemical and no loud fan. Tried the Black hole ones and did not seem to get as good result as the cheap ones that don't use fans that are used here in Thailand. They go for about 600 baht at all major stores. I leave it on all the time, just make sure that there is total darkness at some part of the day as it will be more effective then.

Many of these ant- mosquito and fly chemical sprays and heater bottles use nerve gas or blood agents, similar to larger anti-human nerve and blood agent weapons. I will not use these, especially if there are children in the house. I use a very effective spray called 'Windex' which I consider the best in window cleaners. Discovered its second use when I was persistently bothered by mosquitoes and a fly while cleaning the car windows. :o

• 3 months later...
I have tried a few of the bug zappers. I am in Chiang Mai. Most of them didnt have any result for mosquitos.

Black Hole is the one I now use. It usually retails for 3900 baht, although HomePro in Chiang Mai was recently selling it for 2,900 baht on a promotion. Lotus Tesco also sells it - last time I noticed - for 3,500 baht. Every time I clean it - I can see that it gets results.

The "white light" tubes (x 2) need replacing every 9 months or so in my experience. They cost around 270 baht each.

I use two of these in the house - but in conjunction with one mosquito coil of an evening - and the Baygon Electric Liquid Vaporiser near the bedrooms. Windows and doors closed in bedrooms at night - and no 'bright' lights in bedrooms. The Black Hole works best when in an area where there is not other lights.

External house lights on of a night - and curtains drawn.

I turn the Black Hole on in the bedroom/s after dusk - then turn it off when sleeping - as it does make a 'fan' noise.

Some other ThaiVisa comments on the Black Hole - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/blog/swelters/index.php?

I have found that no one solution is enough. So I use a few. Overkill ? Maybe. But I havent had a mosquito bite in 2 years.

Just to advise that HomePro (Hang Dong) still have the promotion on for the Black Hole. I purchased one last night for 2900 Baht. I initially placed it outside under the balcony and later in the bedroom. Good results with 10 mosquitoes in the trap and a number of other small insects.

The small fluorescent bulbs do emit a blue light which might worry a light sleeper. Fortunately I am not.

I would be interested to hear if anyone tried the DIY contraption as posted by Tipsy:

http://www.diyhappy.com/quick-and-dirty-mosquito-trap/

The principle of this unit, using CO2 to attract the mosquitoes, is the same as the Black Hole - but despite using the quantities as listed, I could not get the water; sugar; yeast mixture to ferment for more than an hour.