How Much To Have A Car Re-painted?

mcgbilly

I am trying to find out how much it SHOULD cost to have a 2006 Toyota Vios, repainted with a new color, from black to red. It seems some bonehead apparently shook up a can of Coca-cola and sprayed the car. At least thats what I suspect.

My Thai wife has checked a couple of places. One was the dealer: 70,000 baht. Some other place (not sure where) says 30,000-32000 bht. I know that changing the original color up's the paint job price, but can anyone tell me what is a realistic price to pay and maybe a shop in or near BKK to have it done?

We are trying to avoid useing the insurance company as we have used them twice since the car was bought already. Once for a couple of scrapes, and once for an accident.

Thanks for any help.

I am trying to find out how much it SHOULD cost to have a 2006 Toyota Vios, repainted with a new color, from black to red. It seems some bonehead apparently shook up a can of Coca-cola and sprayed the car. At least thats what I suspect.

My Thai wife has checked a couple of places. One was the dealer: 70,000 baht. Some other place (not sure where) says 30,000-32000 bht. I know that changing the original color up's the paint job price, but can anyone tell me what is a realistic price to pay and maybe a shop in or near BKK to have it done?

We are trying to avoid useing the insurance company as we have used them twice since the car was bought already. Once for a couple of scrapes, and once for an accident.

Thanks for any help.

Dealer price seems no more than a very good quality respray should cost. However u would expect it to have a lifetime (of the car'!) warranty.

U can get resprays for 30,000, but dont be surprised if there are a few blemishes here and there.

Do the prices u have been quoted include full strip down to bare metal and complete respray of inside/outside?

Thanks for any help.

wow I never knew coke could do that to car paint...

I check at the honda garrage in ekemai about a full respray and it was around 50k another colour also.

and why not get it done on insurance? you have paid for it. plus dont forget that you will need to change all the papers for the car as well. was black now red, that will probably cost you also.

Changing the original color is a LOT of work if it's done correctly. Door jams, inside the trunk and under the hood are what makes it expensive. I'm pretty sure you will also have to have the car's book changed to match the new color. I'd say it's not worth the headache or expense.

And changing a cars color can impact its value.. The assumption of accident repair etc..

yes you are 100% correct on this issue as I did a total re-spray for 30k with new color on my Vitara and now I can't sell it, even though they did a good job. Only if I am willing to sell it for peanuts back to the original car yard. Stick to the original color if you really need a re-spray for sanity sake.

And changing a cars color can impact its value.. The assumption of accident repair etc..

yes you are 100% correct on this issue as I did a total re-spray for 30k with new color on my Vitara and now I can't sell it, even though they did a good job. Only if I am willing to sell it for peanuts back to the original car yard. Stick to the original color if you really need a re-spray for sanity sake.

What kind of age / how few peanuts :o !!!

We are trying to avoid useing the insurance company as we have used them twice since the car was bought already.

Don't think like that for Thailand. You got insurance exactly for this reason. Use it. Worst case is next year you don't get a discount on the insurance premium, however they will still want your business!! And if not, it's not like there's a shortage of insurance companies.

Anyway, 70K is ridiculous, 30K more in the ballpark.

Also, what many people don't do but what IS a smart move is to update the color on the registration booklet. This requires showing a bill for the paint job on which VAT was paid. So that will up the cost with 7%, however selling the car later then becomes a lot easier.

We are trying to avoid useing the insurance company as we have used them twice since the car was bought already.

Don't think like that for Thailand. You got insurance exactly for this reason. Use it. Worst case is next year you don't get a discount on the insurance premium, however they will still want your business!! And if not, it's not like there's a shortage of insurance companies.

Also, what many people don't do but what IS a smart move is to update the color on the registration booklet. This requires showing a bill for the paint job on which VAT was paid. So that will up the cost with 7%, however selling the car later then becomes a lot easier.

Not sure where.. I had a bare metal full body done locallay on an old jeep.. Sure then you can do 30..

But to fully do a modern car, to a 'as new' condition paint, no dust, perfect all over, new rubbers and seals, all the internal nooks and crannies.. Well I couldnt get it done for 30k here on phuket.. Not a quality I would be happy with on a new car..

70k is not ridiculous. That is the price you would pay if you wanted a GOOD, QUALITY job. It would include a full strip back to bare metal and complete respray.

Thanks for any help.

I wouldnt change the color if i were you, it will cost more to do and you will get less when you sell,.for a spray only in pattaya its 25000 /30000 tops and the guy i used is very good,. ( thai )i had quotes from farang from 50 to 80 k :o Edited by mikethevigoman

Thanks for any help.

I wouldnt change the color if i were you, it will cost more to do and you will get less when you sell,.for a spray only in pattaya its 25000 /30000 tops and the guy i used is very good,. ( thai )i had quotes from farang from 50 to 80 k :o

But is that to change color mike..

I mean the car needs to be taken back to its shell.. all the engine bays, all the under carpets, all the hidden metalwork etc etc etc..

I couldnt get those prices here.. Not just farang inflation on price either, I may not get Thai price but I haggle like a bastard my last spray job the guy was crybabying about how he was losing money..

The average cost for an 'average' paintjob is around 30k.

70-120k is about right for a high quality sprayjob.

I did my colour change on my insurance and the quality wasnt the best.You get what you pay for.

On this subject, any recommendations for garages that deliver great work at the high end of the spectrum?

Thanks,

Dr. B

Just some personal input from my recent experience.

I bought old Betsy below earlier this year with a tired old body, original 1975 paintwork and dints etc:-

post-17773-1190791704_thumb.jpg

Took it to a local automotive paint sprayer down here in Buriram Province. He took everything off, including all interior seating etc, repaired the dents and sprayed inside and out. This also included the cream roof and wheels etc and the repainting of bull bar and roof rack.:-

post-17773-1190791862_thumb.jpg

Total cost was 30k for the paint job and 12k for a complete repair and upholster of the seating (in leather!!).

Hope this gives you an idea of prices if you shop around........... :o

Edited by RayBan

I bought old Betsy below earlier this year with a tired old body, original 1975 paintwork and dints etc:-

Took it to a local automotive paint sprayer down here in Buriram Province. He took everything off, including all interior seating etc, repaired the dents and sprayed inside and out. This also included the cream roof and wheels etc and the repainting of bull bar and roof rack.:-

Total cost was 30k for the paint job and 12k for a complete repair and upholster of the seating (in leather!!).

And a handsome British beast you have for the money. Well organised!

I can only speak for Chiang Mai (and maybe you folks in Big Mango are being held to ransome?) but here a quick bj to help get a heap through the Land Transport inspection can be had for 9,500b. A very good total strip, door jambs etc etc will be 25,000b, while 50k would get you an 'as new' colour change job on a good Merc. Maybe that's why the Bangkok-based President of the national classic car club sends his cars up here for bodywork?!

Last and not least: if the insurance company is going to cough up, THEY choose the paintshop and YOU may suffer. And if you change the colour, the change on the tabien rot (log book) should cost you under 1,000b at Land Transport. Should!

Look north, young man!

And a handsome British beast you have for the money. Well organised!

I can only speak for Chiang Mai (and maybe you folks in Big Mango are being held to ransome?) but here a quick bj to help get a heap through the Land Transport inspection can be had for 9,500b. A very good total strip, door jambs etc etc will be 25,000b, while 50k would get you an 'as new' colour change job on a good Merc. Maybe that's why the Bangkok-based President of the national classic car club sends his cars up here for bodywork?!

Last and not least: if the insurance company is going to cough up, THEY choose the paintshop and YOU may suffer. And if you change the colour, the change on the tabien rot (log book) should cost you under 1,000b at Land Transport. Should!

Look north, young man!

VERY nice wheels Frog. Do you mind telling us how much you are into that classic beauty all in? Whoops, I guess it's Ray Ban.

Edited by chinthee