What Will My Electricty Cost Me?

motoyen

I just moved into a studio apartment just by Ari station. I'm paying 10,000THB/month + 20THB water + 7THB electricity. I'm only here for 3 months so I don't plan on using the ac that much. I do have a fridge that I would love to keep cold drinks in. If I were to plug in the fridge and leave it on all time what do you estimate my monthly electric bill would be? I know this is the famous "piece of string" question but I never paid hydro back home so I have no idea what the associated costs are. TIA

Anthony

A fridge, and an airconditioner which you never shut off would use about 1000 units/month, so in your case 7000 baht. Probably, the a/c would be 75% of this total, let's say 5200 baht. From that, you can subtract, based on your own estimate of actual hours of usage.

Studio apartment (including reasonable use of air-con) should be around 1,000-1,500 Baht a month (assuming you are paying direct and not getting charged extra by the apartment).

If you are concerned, buy a small electric fan (or borrow one?...)

Edited by ashacat

around 1k baht - the winter is coming so air con is not essential, just open all the windows

sure! and think of buying a good heater. winters in Bangkok can be very harsh. i also suggest rubber boots. it so happens quite often that the snow melts in Thailand and its no fun to walk through 20cm high slush with mokassins.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to get a fan tomorrow. There is a Villa Market just up the street from me so I would love to store fruit and such in the fridge. My place does seem unusually hot compared to the guest house I was staying in before. The temp in my place now rarely drops below 29C while in the guest house it was around 26C, both without the ac on. I come from Canada so I doubt it could get cold enough to bother me, infact I would welcome it! :o

no, however don't keep you TV on a standby - it's OK to keep it on a standby for short periods of few minutes, but longer than 30 minutes I would just switch it off compelety.

some white appliences might be leaking electricity to the ground while being switched on, like happens with the older fridges with the metal casing

no, however don't keep you TV on a standby - it's OK to keep it on a standby for short periods of few minutes, but longer than 30 minutes I would just switch it off compelety.

some white appliences might be leaking electricity to the ground while being switched on, like happens with the older fridges with the metal casing

no i mean totally offed as in pressing the power switch off. not from remote controller.