Norwegian Dies After Knife Attack

george

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Who killed Knudsen?

That's the question everyone ask over here in Norway.

Another article in VG today:

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=175030

Nothing new here except that the brother of Knudsen, Even Sparre Knudsen now wants Interpol and the Norwegian police to investigate the case since the thai police have been telling different versions of what happened to the media.

According to the local newspaper Phuket Gazette, police inspector Somkit Boonrad said the three boys have been released on bail.

But the norwegian newspaper Aftenposten have recently been in contact with the youth institution where the boys live. They were told that the boys are still in prison.

Also the Norwegian embassy in Bangkok have been given different versions from the police.

Lets hope they catch the one who did it soon!

* Ms Lomas said the attack has not only changed her vacation plans, but also the way she feels about traveling in Thailand.*

Personally, I've been attacked in Central America, bombed in Kashmir, survived the tsunami in Thailand... but if a woman can no longer visit Phuket without robbery at gunpoint - this island has had it.

Phuket desperately needs police protection!!!!!!!!!!? :o

According to the local newspaper Phuket Gazette, police inspector Somkit Boonrad said the three boys have been released on bail.

But the Norwegian newspaper Aftenposten have recently been in contact with the youth institution where the boys live. They were told that the boys are still in prison.

Also the Norwegian embassy in Bangkok have been given different versions from the police.

<deleted>??? :o (not sure how that translates into Norwegian, balo)

and thank you again for providing updates. :D

Edited by sriracha john

Yes that makes sense , they're still in prison for what they did but not for the killing.

I was hoping they could solve this but now I start to doubt the thai police are up to it.

Im going to Phuket myself next year so I just hope the boys are still in prision when Im there......

I never had any problems myself , Thailand is probably one of the safest countries to travel in, but when this happens you start looking out for criminals everywhere....

Rawai crackdown nets two ‘road robbery’ suspects

From the Phuket Gazette

CHALONG: Chalong Police have charged two suspects for armed robbery following a spate of violent robberies on roads in Rawai in recent weeks, but the pair are not suspects in the killing of Norwegian Simen Knudsen last month.

The two suspects, identified as Itthipol “Ron” Chudam, 21, from Songkhla, and Boonkiet Chuchao, 18, of Nakhon Sri Thammarat, have denied any involvement in the road attacks.

Pol Lt Col Pachai Matthayan told the Gazette that the arrests followed many complaints by victims, both Thai and foreign, of being robbed at gun- and knife-point late at night by a pair of young men riding together on a motorbike.

One of the latest victims was a young woman who was riding her motorbike home past Don’s Mall on Saiyuan Rd late at night. She told police she was pushed off her motorbike and forced at knife- and gunpoint to hand over her bag, which contained about 10,000 baht in cash and important personal documents, Lt Col Pachai said.

The woman was able to describe both assailants, one of whom had shoulder-length hair and was wearing a black jacket.

Police stepped up patrols in the area, pulling over youths on motorcycles who matched descriptions given by victims and photographing them. From these, the most recent victim was able to identify her attackers, said Lt Col Pachai.

Police finally arrested Itthipol and Boonkiet about 8 pm last night in their rented quarters behind Wat Sawang-arom in Rawai, he said.

Lt Col Pachai urged other victims or people with information that may help in convicting the pair to report to Chalong Police Station.

He added that the search for the two suspects was led by Phuket City Police Inspector Lt Col Somkid Boonrat, who is leading the investigation into the stabbing murder of Norwegian Simen Knudsen on September 23.

Despite there being many similarities between that crime and subsequent attacks in the area, Lt Col Somkid today told the Gazette that the two are not suspects in the Knudsen case.

Lt Col Phachai said that although the pair have denied any involvement in the attacks, he is sure they are responsible for the attack on the woman who identified them as well as many other robberies.

“Even though the search of their room did not produce any physical evidence such as stolen money or weapons used in the attacks, we are sure it was them,” he said.

However, Lt Col Phachai added that the suspects have already claimed that police do not have enough evidence to for them to be convicted for any robberies.

One of the suspects, Boonkiet Chuchao, has already served a prison sentence in Nakhon Sri Thammarat for using ya bah, he said.

However, although the two have confessed to smoking a small amount of ya bah (methamphetamine) after police found trace evidence of the drug in their room, they have not been charged with using an illegal substance.

* Ms Lomas said the attack has not only changed her vacation plans, but also the way she feels about traveling in Thailand.*

Personally, I've been attacked in Central America, bombed in Kashmir, survived the tsunami in Thailand... but if a woman can no longer visit Phuket without robbery at gunpoint - this island has had it.

Rubbish! You must know by now that it can happen in any country especially holiday resorts. Just keep your buisness clean don't hang about or travel in remote areas late at night when pissed and you should have no problems. Unless you are really stupid you have more chance of being licked out by the pope than getting mugged in Phuket.

Rubbish! You must know by now that it can happen in any country especially holiday resorts. Just keep your buisness clean don't hang about or travel in remote areas late at night when pissed and you should have no problems. Unless you are really stupid you have more chance of being licked out by the pope than getting mugged in Phuket.

This country ain't going nowhere until it's society gets the decent police force it deserves in order to function and move forward. A 3rd world country it shall remain until they do so. What they have now is mostly a uniform wearing mafia, the most corrupt I have been given the chance to observe.

Refoooorm.

You are right, it does happen all over the world and especially tourist destinations, but......it never used to be this way. It is getting worse every year and the police are clowns.

Do you say that people who drive home on a motorbike after midnight and not have access to an army tank, which in fact had been to prefer on Phuket roads day and night, and then get robbed and killed by illiterate untamed murderers are stupid! :o

Another attack occurred in Rawai last night, near Wat Sawang-arom - in the same area where the two suspects from post #68 were reported to live (Phuket Gazette story above).

A 65-yr old Englishman, a local resident, was riding his motorcycle at midnight - off to watch the World Cup Rugby at a local bar- and was attacked by two youths on a motorbike. He was hit over the head with a large piece of timber and the youths then kicked him repeatedly while he lay injured on the road.

Another recent incident, also in Rawai, but never made headlines - involved a New Zealander attacked with a machete while riding his motorbike. He was hit in the head with the weapon, smashing his bike helmet, and also sustained a large gash on his arm.

:o

Just such a pace of attacks, and the fact that some get arrested but they are not responsible for all means its multiple different groups.

Well the phuket apologists can howl all they like, its the highest rate of incidents I have heard of in many years.

Another attack occurred in Rawai last night, near Wat Sawang-arom - in the same area where the two suspects from post #68 were reported to live (Phuket Gazette story above).

A 65-yr old Englishman, a local resident, was riding his motorcycle at midnight - off to watch the World Cup Rugby at a local bar- and was attacked by two youths on a motorbike. He was hit over the head with a large piece of timber and the youths then kicked him repeatedly while he lay injured on the road.

Another recent incident, also in Rawai, but never made headlines - involved a New Zealander attacked with a machete while riding his motorbike. He was hit in the head with the weapon, smashing his bike helmet, and also sustained a large gash on his arm.

:D

Shocking news! :o If the police has 'caught' the 2 youths earlier then this must be another pair of partners in crime?

Looks like the attackers now realize how easily they can get away with it. The police here are a joke.

Btw, I was driving over by Don's Mall last night and noticed that there are several very dark stretches where the street lights are broken/turned off. I suppose it will take multiple murders before anyone even thinks about fixing the lights.

The other day I was pulled over on the side of the road, waiting for my gf who was in a shop, when some guy opened my rear door to tell me to move. Took me by surprise and reminded me to keep the doors locked(just like at home, where car-jackings are common). Gotta stay alert!

This is unbelievable :o:D

, the latest incident is excactly what happened to the Norwegian , whats going on over there??

I hope the Police now understand that they have to find all the criminals soon or Phuket will no longer be tourist destination no. 1 , not for me .

Even Pattaya sounds like a better place these days....

:o

In addition to these two attacks above, I have since learned of another two in the same area: an English couple attacked and robbed on their motorbike - luckily only minor injuries; and an elderly German man smashed in the back of his head (no helmet) with a lump of timber while riding his motorcycle two weeks ago. He is still in a coma.

These last two incidents were told to me by a cook at a local restaurant who is employed by the 65yr-old Englishman attacked a few nights ago. The cook says word in the local Thai community is two gangs are doing the rounds - three thai youths and a ladyboy.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Rawai attacks continue; Man survives machete attack

RAWAI: The late-night road attacks on motorcyclists in the south end of the island continue unabated, with two more reports of attacks in the last 24 hours and several others earlier this month continuing to pour in to the Gazette news desk.

Last night a 24-year-old Norwegian man, staying in Phuket on disability pension because he is officially registered as physically disabled in his home country, was kicked off his motorbike and robbed.

The attack occurred around the corner from Icon bar, where Australian tourist Sooz Lomas, 27, and a British friend were attacked on October 7.

The Norwegian man, who asked that his name not be reported, was robbed while he was still lying on the ground.

In Chalong about 1 am today, a foreigner who runs a business in Rawai was threatened by three knife-wielding teenagers. The attack occured outside a 7-Eleven branch located just 100 meters from Chalong Police Station.

A fight ensued and the police were called. The foreigner, who also asked that his name be withheld, told the Gazette that he was disappointed with the police response.

In breaking up the fight the officers seemed more concerned about him being a foreigner and involved in a fight than the knife-wielding teenagers, he told the Gazette in a telephone interview.

Also reported to the Gazette news desk today was an attack on another foreign tourist that took place at about 1 am on October 2 near Kata Viewpoint, the same area where Norwegian Simen Knudsen was murdered a week earlier.

New Zealand tourist Shaun Clotworthy, 49, told the Gazette,“I was heading down a very steep hill toward Kata and I was about three-quarters down to the bottom of the hill, where there is a sharp bend, when two men came from behind and kicked me off my motorbike,” he explained.

“As soon as I got up off the ground, one of the men attacked me with a machete. I was lucky I was wearing a helmet – the machete cracked it,” he said.

“I was able to get the machete off him, but then both of them pointed guns at me. It was very dark,

so I don’t know whether they [the guns] were real or not,” he added.

“They made off with my bag, which had my phone, camera and some books in it, but they didn’t get any money because it was in my pocket,” he said.

Another person soon came along on a motorbike and gave him a lift to the police box in Kata, where he handed in machete and police called for an ambulance to him to Patong Hospital, he said.

Mr Clotworthy needed three stitches in his left arm to closed the wound suffered from blocking the machete, he said.

In the fall off the motorbike suffered a bruised chest and serious abrasions, he added.

“In total I had 20 wounds. I was unable to shower for two weeks. The worst, which have still yet to heal, are the toes on my left foot,” he told the Gazette on October 23.

He reported the attack to Chalong Police on the morning of October 3, he said.

“I have no broken bones, I’m lucky to be alive,” he said.

“I am disappointed with the police. They don’t seem to want to tell tourists about what is happening here. They must be able to do something. These people [the muggers] are in that area all the time.”

Adding insult to injury, Mr Clotworthy was forced to delay his visa run to via Ranong due to his injuries. Although he presented Thai Immigration officers there the police report about his attack, he was charged three days’ overstay, he said.

Phuket Gazette

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Rawai attacks continue; Man survives machete attack

RAWAI: The late-night road attacks on motorcyclists in the south end of the island continue unabated, with two more reports of attacks in the last 24 hours and several others earlier this month continuing to pour in to the Gazette news desk.

Last night a 24-year-old Norwegian man, staying in Phuket on disability pension because he is officially registered as physically disabled in his home country, was kicked off his motorbike and robbed.

The attack occurred around the corner from Icon bar, where Australian tourist Sooz Lomas, 27, and a British friend were attacked on October 7.

The Norwegian man, who asked that his name not be reported, was robbed while he was still lying on the ground.

In Chalong about 1 am today, a foreigner who runs a business in Rawai was threatened by three knife-wielding teenagers. The attack occured outside a 7-Eleven branch located just 100 meters from Chalong Police Station.

A fight ensued and the police were called. The foreigner, who also asked that his name be withheld, told the Gazette that he was disappointed with the police response.

In breaking up the fight the officers seemed more concerned about him being a foreigner and involved in a fight than the knife-wielding teenagers, he told the Gazette in a telephone interview.

Also reported to the Gazette news desk today was an attack on another foreign tourist that took place at about 1 am on October 2 near Kata Viewpoint, the same area where Norwegian Simen Knudsen was murdered a week earlier.

New Zealand tourist Shaun Clotworthy, 49, told the Gazette,“I was heading down a very steep hill toward Kata and I was about three-quarters down to the bottom of the hill, where there is a sharp bend, when two men came from behind and kicked me off my motorbike,” he explained.

“As soon as I got up off the ground, one of the men attacked me with a machete. I was lucky I was wearing a helmet – the machete cracked it,” he said.

“I was able to get the machete off him, but then both of them pointed guns at me. It was very dark,

so I don’t know whether they [the guns] were real or not,” he added.

“They made off with my bag, which had my phone, camera and some books in it, but they didn’t get any money because it was in my pocket,” he said.

Another person soon came along on a motorbike and gave him a lift to the police box in Kata, where he handed in machete and police called for an ambulance to him to Patong Hospital, he said.

Mr Clotworthy needed three stitches in his left arm to closed the wound suffered from blocking the machete, he said.

In the fall off the motorbike suffered a bruised chest and serious abrasions, he added.

“In total I had 20 wounds. I was unable to shower for two weeks. The worst, which have still yet to heal, are the toes on my left foot,” he told the Gazette on October 23.

He reported the attack to Chalong Police on the morning of October 3, he said.

“I have no broken bones, I’m lucky to be alive,” he said.

“I am disappointed with the police. They don’t seem to want to tell tourists about what is happening here. They must be able to do something. These people [the muggers] are in that area all the time.”

Adding insult to injury, Mr Clotworthy was forced to delay his visa run to via Ranong due to his injuries. Although he presented Thai Immigration officers there the police report about his attack, he was charged three days’ overstay, he said.

Phuket Gazette

Unforgettable Thailand :o

• 11 months later...
Savage beating and murder.... and for what? some baht and a scooter... :D

and with such limited coverage in Thailand..... :o

Sad and distressing on many levels...

UPDATE... 365 days later....

Thai Police Lacks Technical Evidence Against Murder Suspects

Three men are still suspected of the murder of Simen Sparre Knudsen at Phuket in Thailand. But the police lacks technical evidence linking them to the crime scene, writes the Norwegian Newspaper Aftenposten.no

It has been more than a year since Simen Sparre Knudsen (47) was killed on a country road from Kata to Rawai in Phuket in Thailand. Shortly after the murder, two brothers were arrested by police in Phuket, suspected of murdering the Norwegian family father. And a third man was also suspected of taking part in the murder, but he still remains free.

The local police believe the three men attacked and robbed Knudsen on the way home to his family. All the suspects are known to have been behind attacks and robberies on the country road before.

But since the police investigation started, it has not moved any closer to a break-through in the case. Aftenposten.no has learned that the police do not have any technical evidence that connect any of the three main suspects to the murder of the Norwegian citizen Knudsen. No DNA or any murder weapons.

“There is nothing new to tell about", said investigation leader Sirisak Wasasiri to Aftenposten.no.

The police probably need to build their case on the single suspect, who admitted the murder shortly after he was arrested. He has however withdrawn his confession, advised by his lawyer.

The general rule in Thailand is that a case should be closed if it is not brought to justice within a year after the crime is committed.

But in serious cases police have the option to extend the investigation period. The police in Phuket have not chosen to close the case and thus they must seek a judge each month to get an extension of the investigation period.

One of the three suspects is still jailed in a youth prison in Phuket. He was transferred to the Youth Educational Center in the town of Surat Thani February 7, 2008. His younger brother, who then was only 16 years old, got out of the youth prison pending a trial.

The third of the suspects is still free. The police have the man's identity, but so far police have not managed to track him down. It is hoped that he can give the police a break-through in the case.

Simen Knudsen was killed when he was riding on the moped, going home to his wife and son in Rawai. The police believe that the attackers followed him on motorcycles, plunged him off his moped, and then stabbed and robbed him. The road between Kata and Rawai has been haunted by a series of attacks on foreign tourists in recent years. The local authorities are still struggling with a number of robberies and muggings of foreign tourists on this route.

- ScandAsia / 2008-10-02

It does seem that wherever foreigners choose to live in large numbers its not too long before the native low life congregate in that area to take advantage of the fact. A friend who lives in the Philippines says it is the same over there, unsafe in the tourist areas but not too bad away from them.

In the past Thailand has built up its reputation as a safe destination that welcomes all comers with a smile. This has led to it having one of the largest tourist industries in the area which has earned the country a lot of foreign exchange. The way things all around the country are currently moving tourists are likely to start looking elseware to spend their money. Its easy to get the feeling that things are going to get worse before they get better, especially with all the instability at the helm. :o

Anonher sensless Thai on Farang murder.

And the last sensible murder -- Thai on Farang or otherwise -- happened when, please?

Senseless means it doesnt make sense, not that it want sensible. In fact i think it was a senseless tragedy. RIP

The thinking now is don't go out on your own to Kata and drive back, if you do you are asking for trouble.

The police are useless.

I can fully understand the new feeling in the expat community that if we can't rely on the police then we will leave them to their money making scams and sort it ourselves.

Most people I know carry bats and other things in their cars, I go to see Thai friends in Kata a lot, I am now so wary anyone comes near me on the route back will get run off the road.

Really sad. High end promotion? In your Thai gov dreams.

I came here to live with my falang wife, i obey all the laws yet I have no protection at all from the police who are self serving money grabbers.

My circle of friends [Thai and falang] are all disgusted by our lack of protection. Is it any wonder that we want to take matters into our own hands?

This is a time bomb of Thai making, I thing we have been very restrained so far, it won't last.

^

That's the second time in two different threads that you have specified that your wife is "farang". Why is that?

Do you think it isn't OK to have a Thai wife, or, are you so desperate to prove to perfect strangers on an internet forum that you are a respectable non-sexpat? Just curious.

The thinking now is don't go out on your own to Kata and drive back, if you do you are asking for trouble.

The police are useless.

I can fully understand the new feeling in the expat community that if we can't rely on the police then we will leave them to their money making scams and sort it ourselves.

Most people I know carry bats and other things in their cars, I go to see Thai friends in Kata a lot, I am now so wary anyone comes near me on the route back will get run off the road.

Really sad. High end promotion? In your Thai gov dreams.

I came here to live with my falang wife, i obey all the laws yet I have no protection at all from the police who are self serving money grabbers.

My circle of friends [Thai and falang] are all disgusted by our lack of protection. Is it any wonder that we want to take matters into our own hands?

This is a time bomb of Thai making, I thing we have been very restrained so far, it won't last.

Tough words, I do wonder. You tend to find in Asia that if you try this route of meeting conflict with conflict you will loose, unless you have the necessary back up. This is their country , alot more of them than you and generally in Asia, it is never one on one for long. If you do not like it and cannot restrain yourself then leave, as other wise it will surely end in tears. Running someone of the road , you will pay anyhow if they are killed. Well done ... for your family. Adapt to your environment or get out of it.

Who's thinking? Yours, and others as well I'm sure, but there are plenty of others who have different views.