Checking Speedometer If Correct Reading?

chavy

If it's that far out it should be easy to check against another vehicle, just ride along at an indicated 50kph and get someone to pace you, then tell you what their speedo reads :D

If it's wrong, time to visit the bike doctor :o

I've noticed on my Steed the speedo seems to be giving a false reading. I think it could be out as much as 20 kms/hr. Does anybody have a way to check the correct reading ?

Cheers

Easy job on a Steed (open architecture) to remove/check the speedo cable and grease/oil it, also to check the drive system in the front hub to ensure is is not worn out as it has, most likely, a plastic gear.

The odometer is mechanically connected to the front wheel as opposed to the speed which is magnetically coupled. So measure yourself 1km on a deserted road and time yourself at a constant speed.

I checked my Speedo useing my Garmin gps. Was 8kms out. Thought garmin was ttying to talk up there product, as they say there gps speedo is more accurate as speedo's are not all right on.. Then went to the Mrs. brother whom is on Hyway patrol and got him to check me with the gun. gps was spot on , truck was out 8 kms from factory

If you have someone ride alongside in another vehicle, it may be even more inaccurate. You might only prove that both speedos are wrong. The kilometer markers on the highway are probably the best gauges. You can go for two km at 90 kph; should take you 80 seconds. Be careful playing with your stopwatch while riding the bike!

If you have someone ride alongside in another vehicle, it may be even more inaccurate. You might only prove that both speedos are wrong. The kilometer markers on the highway are probably the best gauges. You can go for two km at 90 kph; should take you 80 seconds. Be careful playing with your stopwatch while riding the bike!

Noted ! :o

unless the kilometer markers are out :o

unless the kilometer markers are out :D

:o Yes, too right. From Nakhon Nayok to my place in Kabinburi there is one kilometer marker that clearly states "Kabinburi 69 KM" then approx 10 km down the road another sign stating Kabinburi 68 KM :D Now my way of thinking is either the kilometer markers are out or somebody has moved Kabinburi 10 km down the road. :D

:o Yes, too right. From Nakhon Nayok to my place in Kabinburi there is one kilometer marker that clearly states "Kabinburi 69 KM" then approx 10 km down the road another sign stating Kabinburi 68 KM :D Now my way of thinking is either the kilometer markers are out or somebody has moved Kabinburi 10 km down the road. :D

Yes, I'm assuming that you check the km markers previously on your vehicle's odometer first to be sure there are two markers spaced roughly 2km apart. Also, please check my math about the 80 seconds at 90kph. If in doubt that the markers are properly placed 2km apart, try another stretch of highway.

Yes, I'm assuming that you check the km markers previously on your vehicle's odometer first to be sure there are two markers spaced roughly 2km apart. Also, please check my math about the 80 seconds at 90kph. If in doubt that the markers are properly placed 2km apart, try another stretch of highway.

I've noticed in many parts of the country that the signs along the highways do not always add up so is confusing when trying to determine an approximate arrival time.

I've noticed in many parts of the country that the signs along the highways do not always add up so is confusing when trying to determine an approximate arrival time.

The GPS tells you that too. :D Amazing devices for sure.