Crackdown On Stray Dogs - Pet Dogs To Be Issued Id-cards

george

One white soi dog has been chasing people, even causing one guy to flip his brand new motorcycle in front of my house

It's nobody's dog and no one cares about them until something happens, then someone has to pay.

A graphic example why unsupervised dogs out on the street are free-for-all to be rounded up and removed by any means possible.

Actually a humane solution, instead of just wasting their lives, it would make them produce, so at least some poor hungry soul is benefiting from their existence. Saves on the cost of shelters and medicine as well, which could be much better used in trying to protect the wild environments of Thailand, dogs there are the world over, so nothing special.

If you have a dog you better have a yard or garden to keep him -- renting such a house is not that (more) expensive in Thailand and if you life in a city center, then this is just not the right place to keep a dog -- they need their space to run and play.

How will chipping dogs reduce the number of strays?

What they need to do is round up all of the street dogs and have them spayed-neutered. I can bet it's much cheaper and more effective to pay local vets to round up strays and sterilize them. There are enough vets here that could take care of the problem in their area. It will be expensive but the sooner they do it the less of a problem it will be in the future.

Hi look up the charity http://www.soidogrescue.org they do wonderfull work in Bangkok and could do with dog and cat lovers support. thanks have a good day everyone

give me a break, country has more pressing political and economic concerns than to make sure fido is "legal"

better yet, why not put microchips in the bargirls? they are more of a threat to spread disease than fido

Well said!!

Just makes me wonder what is next on the agenda. Maybe all of us foreigners will be required to be micro chipped and legalised aswell, afterall, we are also seen as strays from our own countries. Already we have to inform immigration of where we reside so we'll be less difficult to be rounded up and culled.

How will chipping dogs reduce the number of strays?

What they need to do is round up all of the street dogs and have them spayed-neutered. I can bet it's much cheaper and more effective to pay local vets to round up strays and sterilize them. There are enough vets here that could take care of the problem in their area. It will be expensive but the sooner they do it the less of a problem it will be in the future.

I seem to remember watching Thai tv some time ago (can't remember how long ago ... maybe a year or more) where they made a big issue of the fact that stray dogs would be rounded up and sterilised. They showed many dogs that had been operated on and put back on the streets. What happened to that campaign? I guess like everything else it died a slow death and people forgot all about it.

If I recall correctly, about five or six years ago (when I first moved to Thailand and was living in Bangkok), wasn't a very similar proposal made (to imbed microchips) and then not implemented? Didn't HRH The King also recommend a method to address the registration of dogs around that same time? (Perhaps the microchip idea was the King's? I can't recall.)

If you have a dog you better have a yard or garden to keep him -- renting such a house is not that (more) expensive in Thailand

it would be expensive if every dog owner tried to relocate to a new house with a yard or garden.

no, it only shows the complete disregard of dog owners for the health and well-being of their 'beloved' pets if they do not have the area for them to run and play as is their nature.

People telling me that they love their dog and then let it run free on the street, being a danger to themselves, traffic and children, have no place to come back crying if he ended up in somebody's stew. And this is maybe the best of several alternative places where I could imagine such a mutt to end up.

Sounds strong, actually I do like dogs (our family had one for many years and a lot of time and effort was spend to train him and give him the proper care such a sensible and intelligent animal would need; I would venture that one dog is pretty much a 24-hour job for a person, so I cannot even understand how somebody could keep 30 dogs...); but what I hate is if the responsibility for such a valuable family member is placed on the public when there are accidents or bitings, besides the obvious noise question of uncontrolled street dogs.

If you have a dog you better have a yard or garden to keep him -- renting such a house is not that (more) expensive in Thailand

it would be expensive if every dog owner tried to relocate to a new house with a yard or garden.

no, it only shows the complete disregard of dog owners for the health and well-being of their 'beloved' pets if they do not have the area for them to run and play as is their nature.

People telling me that they love their dog and then let it run free on the street, being a danger to themselves, traffic and children, have no place to come back crying if he ended up in somebody's stew. And this is maybe the best of several alternative places where I could imagine such a mutt to end up.

Sounds strong, actually I do like dogs (our family had one for many years and a lot of time and effort was spend to train him and give him the proper care such a sensible and intelligent animal would need; I would venture that one dog is pretty much a 24-hour job for a person, so I cannot even understand how somebody could keep 30 dogs...); but what I hate is if the responsibility for such a valuable family member is placed on the public when there are accidents or bitings, besides the obvious noise question of uncontrolled street dogs.

they are talking about pet dogs, or dogs with owners to be implanted not stray dogs to be implanted.

has anyone seen people in bkk walk their dogs, seeming they say they are over 800,OOO dog owners?

its so rare to see, its a mystery how people can say dogs with owners are so much trouble in public places

i have hardly ever seen owners walk their dogs around the aree area on the pavements, sometimes you see the odd cute toy dog in a coffee shop sitting with its owner on a lead, but never have i seen any dog allowed in any public park in bkk

so how can these dogs with owners cause such a threat to life in bkk?

an idiotic new regulation by the democrat bkk governor

Edited by Hampstead

Not sure if it's done anymore, years ago on Koh Phangan (late eighties), around Christmas time the local government would start at one end of town with a wooden cart; any dogs that didn't have a ribbon around it's neck was stabbed with a steel point fixed on the end of a 5 foot bamboo stick. The steel point had poison that killed the dog almost immediately.

By the time they reached the other end of town the cart was full of dead dogs.

I always carried a healthy stick when riding around on my mountain bike. Dogs always chased me and tried to bite my feet or legs. I did manage to whack several dogs who later didn't bother me.

Back then you were considered by the locals as either poor (can't afford a motor bike) or stupid (spending 30k baht for a bicycle instead of a motorbike) if you rode a bike

Not sure if it's done anymore, years ago on Koh Phangan (late eighties), around Christmas time the local government would start at one end of town with a wooden cart; any dogs that didn't have a ribbon around it's neck was stabbed with a steel point fixed on the end of a 5 foot bamboo stick. The steel point had poison that killed the dog almost immediately.

By the time they reached the other end of town the cart was full of dead dogs.

I always carried a healthy stick when riding around on my mountain bike. Dogs always chased me and tried to bite my feet or legs. I did manage to whack several dogs who later didn't bother me.

Back then you were considered by the locals as either poor (can't afford a motor bike) or stupid (spending 30k baht for a bicycle instead of a motorbike) if you rode a bike

It was done here two years ago. The village headman and a crew went around the village with a pick-upo truck, a lenght of blue pipe with a poison filled syringe at it's end. I was quite happy to see this, until they spared one dog that was carrying pups. :o What was the point? The pups have now grown and have scattered in the area.

To Garry who talks about his dog being stolen: I am sure you got a police report because breaking into your property is a serious offense in Thailand; if your dog was however out on the street unsupervised, he was not your dog but an ownerless street dog who was removed correctly.

Oh please, Police reports go in, my dogs don't go out unless we do (6' foot high fence), the police reports do go in, police don't give a monkeys and any twit can jump a fence. When they start giving the thai police decent wages then we might see a bit more of an energetic work ethic. So please don't quote that the police take things seriously, they're as fickle as the stock exchange. Have a nice day :o