House Hunting In Chiang Mai...

moneyshot

I will be moving to Chiang Mai soon and was wanting some advice on where to stay.

I am planning to come up, rent a car and look about for myself.

Any suggestions on which areas to start looking would be greatly appreciated.

The criteria would be

- Fairly new 3/4 bedroom, fully furnished house with good security

- A gated community with pool and gym etc.

- Within 15 minute drive of Tesco/Carrefoure

- Quiet family neighborhood

- Will have a car, so out of town is not an issue

- I work from home so am not concerned with commuting to work

- Around 25k a month

Thanks in advance... :o

Hi I moved here 6 weeks ago and first I came for 4 days I used agencys I contacted 4 and the 2nd 1 had what i wanted this is no cost to you and they know the area I found my house in 2 days just what I needed if you need there email I would be pleased to give to you

Good luck :D

:o

I will be moving to Chiang Mai soon and was wanting some advice on where to stay.

The criteria would be

- Around 25k a month

Thanks in advance... :D

The criteria would be

- Around 25k a month

Hi

ht-real-estate.com

very god and helpfull and will take you round look her web site

tarad.com

E-Mail: //e-mail address removed as per forum rules// I rented my house thro this agency

I am living Hang Dong area about 8km from town This area is very popular with expats.There are many propertys to rent but where to look the agent are better and they know there way about.Remember you can still haggle price and no cost to you if you want to contact me you can

//and also removed here - please read the forum rules//

Good hunting :D

Edited by Tywais

The criteria would be

- Around 25k a month

Seems to me that the other helpful souls here haven't touched on the "where" yet. My advice would be to "go north young man", or "at least east."

If you draw a semi circle from Mae Rim, around through Doi Saket to Sankampaeng, I strongly recommend some gentle motoring in that part of outer Chiang Mai city.

Almost NO aircraft noise, ever (apart from occasional & brief early morning microlights north of Sansai), very few traffic jams, safer roads (ie NOT Hang Dong Rd!), gorgeous rural surroundings, Rimping Supermarket on the Central Ring Rd and Tesco Lotus and Carrefour on the amusingly-named Superhighway.

Your time on research up there will not be time wasted.

And do beware of almost all local property sales & rental agencies! All I can say here is that for over a decade in local residence I have never heard a single complaint about Swedhomes, and I have no connection with them.

The criteria would be

- Around 25k a month

Seems to me that the other helpful souls here haven't touched on the "where" yet. My advice would be to "go north young man", or "at least east."

If you draw a semi circle from Mae Rim, around through Doi Saket to Sankampaeng, I strongly recommend some gentle motoring in that part of outer Chiang Mai city.

Almost NO aircraft noise, ever (apart from occasional & brief early morning microlights north of Sansai), very few traffic jams, safer roads (ie NOT Hang Dong Rd!), gorgeous rural surroundings, Rimping Supermarket on the Central Ring Rd and Tesco Lotus and Carrefour on the amusingly-named Superhighway.

Your time on research up there will not be time wasted.

And do beware of almost all local property sales & rental agencies! All I can say here is that for over a decade in local residence I have never heard a single complaint about Swedhomes, and I have no connection with them.

I concur, though I'd give Sankampaeng a miss, and maybe Doi Saket too.

Hi Flatouthruthefog,

Thanks very much for the info, exactly what I needed to know. :o

I tried to google swedhomes but nothing came up for chaing mai. IF you have any details for them it would be appreciated. :D

you can find Swedhomes at www.chiangmainews.com/swedhomes I don't have any experience with them as we are in the same situation as you....moving to Chiang Mai as soon as possible in 2008. We're visiting in October to look at schools and decide on which areas we like so I found the contribution to the discussion about 'where' very useful too, thanks. Good luck with your move...I'd be interested to know about your experience with the agencies.

I am a newbie to this website.

After reading the thread on "looking for housing in CM" I came across a recommondation to contact an agency that was listed by emailing them. It is several days latter, and I have not heard from them.

I am planning to come back to CM this coming Jan/Feb to look at housing options, and weigh purchasing vs. long term rental. In the meantime, I would like to find a serviced apartment or furnished condo rental. I have noticed that almost all of the serviced apartments do not supply linen, blankets, pillows or towels. I don't want to have to bring a supply after a 22 hr flight from North America to Bangkok, and then make my way to CM. Can anyone recommend a nice, clean, and reasonable furnished studio apartment, or serviced apartment, so I can start my search for a permanent home?

Hi,

Thanks for the replys. :o

We are flying up today for the weekend, so hopefully will have a better idea of what areas we like afterwards.

Ill let you know how we get on with or without the agents.

To shepsel... Someone on another thread recommended these serviced apartments- http://www.chiangmaifrangipani.com/

They look nice and linen/towels are all included.

Cheers

Hi,

Thanks for the replys. :o

We are flying up today for the weekend, so hopefully will have a better idea of what areas we like afterwards.

Ill let you know how we get on with or without the agents.

To shepsel... Someone on another thread recommended these serviced apartments- http://www.chiangmaifrangipani.com/

They look nice and linen/towels are all included.

Cheers

Very nice but way out of my league!!! Pricey....

The criteria would be

- Around 25k a month

What area you like really is a personal prefererence. Hang Dong (and Canal Rd) has many estates but not liked by all, has good city access outside peak hours. Sansai has grown increasingly popular and has quite a few new estates there. Doi Saket is futher out of town, loved by some and not others due to that. City is difficult to find as most new developments are ourside the city due to land availability.

Sankampang/Borsang used to be a nightmate to get to, but newer roads make it quite easy these days, but perhaps less local farang facilities still at this stage.

Would suggest stay at a hotel for a month and check everything out. If not too fussy then just view a few homes and see what you like. Later you can relocate. Owners generally like a 12 month lease but others will go for 6. 25k will get you very nice home. 15k is reasonable, 20 k, just a bit nicer and 25k should be quite new with good quality furniture, good facilities and reasonable city access. Another thing to consider is that many foreigners use the Rimping Supermarket chain due to better selection, so that could also be a factor outside Tesco/ Big C/Carrefour.

Cheers and good hunting. :D

Those fryingpan apartments look nice.

I'd ideally like to be up on the mountain although land pretty steep in more ways than one and much government-owned to boot. Somewhere on the lake near Galare with a view of the city would do :o

Well after four days of driving around Chiang Mai and surrounding towns, we decided on a house in the land and house development, San Sai. A few years old but recently painted, three bedrooms with a seperate office area. A lovely, sunny, private backyard with a view of the mountain. I particulary liked the estate, very green with a homely atmosphere.

We saw a few agents and ofcourse their prices seemed higher than other houses dealing directly with the owner. We ended up finding a lovely lady who is a freelance agent, who showed us around many places, She was and still is very helpful with anything we need. If anyone would like her details, send me a PM.

So in a couple of weeks we will be packing up from the hustle and bustle of Bangkok to move to greener hills. Chiang Mai really seems like a fantastic place, has everything and more apart from beaches but thats a good excuse for a holiday anyway.

Many thanks to those who gave some suggestions on where to start looking. Much appreciated :o

Hi Moneyshot,

We don't have Beaches but we do have "Huay Tung Tao" the Lake!!! OK it isn't any beach but as close as you can get in the Hills, you can have a great afternoon relaxing there and so close to the heart of Town. Check it out, loads of Cheap Food & Drink and clean places for the Kids to play if you have any. All the Best.

Cheers Ian.

As any air pollution expert will tell you, flight noise is very often limited to certain areas. I live very close to the runway, and there isn't that much noise unless the Royal Air Force is scrambling the fighter planes. The klong road (klongchonprathan) gets very busy at times, but traffic still flows fast (a wee bit too fast if trying to go across!). There's a lot of places available. The 987 Koolpunt Villas around Hang Dong have lots of for rent signs displayed. I suspect you can almost do it yourself, without an agent, if you're patient and can call the numbers shown on the signs.

Yes, yes, the Hang Dong area with its superstores and plenty of fellow Farangs for companionship. A distant second would be east or northeast of the city towards Sankameng or San Sai. Avoid Mae Rim with its open-air market and fly covered meats, not to mention the aroma of the Elephant camp. Stay south, far south, within an easy drive to the Airport Mall. :o

I like South too. South-West-ish you really don't get airplane noise, while still being within a 10 minute drive of the airport & town.

The North East blows chunks.

What a load of <deleted>.

South west is full of wild animals, that have escaped from the night safari and are running around the area! go north! the south west is not recommended if you have pets or small children...

Forgot to mention the Snakes!

Edited by highonthai

The criteria would be

- Around 25k a month

My advice, mate, is to rent a 5 bedroom house, so you can accomodate your great friend, Unckey Joe.

And, make sure you get a house cleaner, so he doesn't have to clean his room. And stock the fridge with plenty

of beer.....Singha preferably. Call me when you have it done, Mate!!!

The criteria would be

- Around 25k a month

My advice, mate, is to rent a 5 bedroom house, so you can accomodate your great friend, Unckey Joe.

And, make sure you get a house cleaner, so he doesn't have to clean his room. And stock the fridge with plenty

of beer.....Singha preferably. Call me when you have it done, Mate!!!

Unckey Joe, you forgot to mention

- sat. TV

:D