Petrol Question

Nienke

A while ago their was a discussion on gasohol (orange 95) versus the red 91, with many prefering the red 91.

Today I saw at the PTT green 91.

What is the experience and/or opinion of the car experts on that? Is it any good? And if not, why?

Please, your thoughts on this one.

Nienke

A while ago their was a discussion on gasohol (orange 95) versus the red 91, with many prefering the red 91.

What is the experience and/or opinion of the car experts on that? Is it any good? And if not, why?

Nienke

this question would be better posted in the motoring forum

Nienke,

The 91 gasohol is cheaper. So if cost is an issue (maybe you do a lot of driving, etc.) go with the gasohol. And you can also feel warm and fuzzy about using fuel that contains a portion made from renewable sources.

If you have a fairly recent model car or truck, that has modern engine management hardware and software, you should be fine. You might notice a slightly different response from the engine; perhaps slightly flat on acceleration, but runs fine when up to speed (cruising down the highway).

If you own an older model car/truck (say 10 yrs or older) I would not recommend using the gasohol. Without going into a lot of tech detail, you will find with the older cars a marked diminished power in many cases. Certain components can be damaged by the alcohol in the fuel.

And if you own any kind of high performance machinery (engine with a high compression ratio) you definitely would not be using 91 gasohol.

So Nienke, sell the Porsche Turbo if you are going to use gasohol......!

McG

Hey, sell your Porche to me. I'll run gasohol in it 24/7. It won't do 6 second quarter miles anymore, but I'll still be smiling. The 10% ethanol that is mixed with the gasoline has a much higher octane, but also has about half the energy. Rule of thumb, if your vehicle has electronic fuel injection and electronic ignition then you'll have no problems using gasohol. But if you still have the old mechanical carburator with a mechanical distributor, stay away from it.

Sorry no Porsche for me, I've fallen for my 10 years or more little Hyundai. It fits the dogs and brings me everywhere. Can't go much faster than 110 km/hr, which is perfect for me. Don't think there is an electric ignition. On the other hand, I have no idea :o

Can you imagine that i've studied about engines years ago, for if the chainsaw, tractor or bike engine would break down. I enjoyed the practical part a lot at the time, but now ... forgot it all :D

Nienke

91 gasohol was not recommended by the honda service people for my civic. the car was made to use 91. 95 is ok and so is gasohol 95.

still wondering why 91 gasohol is a no-go.

I seem to recall reading something about the ethanol (alcohol) content in gasahol having the ability to attract water molecules, or something like that. So, with all this rain around etc and the amount of older type oil stations around ie lack of maintanance, I wont be switching to gasahol.

Have been reading that, too, in a thread ih this forum a while ago. Still, I'm wondering. If that's the case, why so many people keep on using gasohol 95? Maybe a stupid question, but to me it's like with a restaurant: if it's good many people go (use it), if not ... no go.

Nienke

Sorry no Porsche for me, I've fallen for my 10 years or more little Hyundai. It fits the dogs and brings me everywhere. Can't go much faster than 110 km/hr, which is perfect for me. Don't think there is an electric ignition. On the other hand, I have no idea :o

Can you imagine that i've studied about engines years ago, for if the chainsaw, tractor or bike engine would break down. I enjoyed the practical part a lot at the time, but now ... forgot it all :D

Nienke

Nienke, There are a few issues with gasohol. First, there is a compatability problem with some of the materials that had been used in the fuel systems on older cars. This was addressed by using different (better and occassionally cheaper) materials. The second is performance. This was addressed with electonics, which are able to give much better control over the exact air/fuel mixtures and exact timing of the spark that is needed, and this is also pretty much required to meet emissions standards. The biggest problem in Thailand is that gasohol is much more suscepible to water contamination, so more care has to be taken in storing the fuel, especially in the underground storage tanks at the petrol stations. This I beleive is where most people have had problems when using gasohol. As far as I know, the Thai gov't still plans on mandating the use of gasohol by 2012, although they are now about a year behind schedule. I really hope that this delay was because they have been working on addressing this problem and forcing the petrol stations with leaky tanks to fix them or close them down.

As far as your 10 year old Hyundai, without knowing any of the specs I would be very hesident about using gasohol. Higgy

As far as your 10 year old Hyundai, without knowing any of the specs I would be very hesident about using gasohol. Higgy

Hhhhmmm, so maybe I should stop being stubborn I go back to 91 red.

Thanks for all the patient explanantions :o

Nienke

Nienke

They are all very nice colors, difficult to chose really,. :o

Nienke

They are all very nice colors, difficult to chose really,. :o

:D:D