Good Wishes Message

jirve

I have been asked by a relative who knows I am studying Thai to write a message in Thai on a “Bride & Groom” card.

The bride is Thai.

The message they want to send is – “to Derren and Mai, wishing you every happiness in your future life together."

My attempt at this would be -

ถึง เดรเรน กับ มาย

ขอให้ ทั้งสอง ความสุข ตลอดชีวิต ด้วยกัน

Can anyone tell me whether this is suitable or suggest a better tranlation. Thanks

I have been asked by a relative who knows I am studying Thai to write a message in Thai on a "Bride & Groom" card.

The bride is Thai.

The message they want to send is – "to Derren and Mai, wishing you every happiness in your future life together."

ถึง เดรเรน กับ มาย

ขอให้ทั้งคู่มีความสุขด้วยกันตลอดไป

Can anyone tell me whether this is suitable or suggest a better tranlation. Thanks

That's my version. Maybe other can give you more suggestion. :o

I have been asked by a relative who knows I am studying Thai to write a message in Thai on a "Bride & Groom" card.

The bride is Thai.

The message they want to send is – "to Derren and Mai, wishing you every happiness in your future life together."

ถึง เดรเรน กับ มาย

ขอให้ทั้งคู่มีความสุขด้วยกันตลอดไป

That's my version. Maybe other can give you more suggestion. :o

Thank you. I agree that is better.

This would be a great thread to compile members' suggestions for "Good Wishes" for weddings and other occasions. Here are some suggestions from my wife for good wishes or blessings to give to a bride and groom:

ขอให้คู่บ่าวสาวมีความสุข รักกันเหมือนวันนี้และต่อไปทุกๆ วันตลอดไป

kŏr hâi kôo bàao săao mee kwaam sòok rák gan mĕuan wan née láe dtòr bpai tóok-tóok wan dtà-lòt bpai

"May you [or we wish you], the bride and groom, be happy with and love each other each and every day, just as you do today."

ขอให้อดทนและอภัยต่อกัน จงประสพความสำเร็จในชีวิตคู่และบุตรธิดาในอนาคต

kŏr hâi òt ton láe à-pai dtòr gan jong bprà-sòp kwaam săm-rét nai chee-wít kôo láe bòot tí-daa nai à-naa-kót

"May you be patient with each other and forgive each other [when the need arises]. [May you] be successful in your lives as a couple and [may this success follow] for your children in the future."

Any thoughts or additional suggestions?

This would be a great thread to compile members' suggestions for "Good Wishes" for weddings and other occasions. Here are some suggestions from my wife for good wishes or blessings to give to a bride and groom:

ขอให้คู่บ่าวสาวมีความสุข รักกันเหมือนวันนี้และต่อไปทุกๆ วันตลอดไป

kŏr hâi kôo bàao săao mee kwaam sòok rák gan mĕuan wan née láe dtòr bpai tóok-tóok wan dtà-lòt bpai

"May you [or we wish you], the bride and groom, be happy with and love each other each and every day, just as you do today."

ขอให้อดทนและอภัยต่อกัน จงประสพความสำเร็จในชีวิตคู่และบุตรธิดาในอนาคต

kŏr hâi òt ton láe à-pai dtòr gan jong bprà-sòp kwaam săm-rét nai chee-wít kôo láe bòot tí-daa nai à-naa-kót

"May you be patient with each other and forgive each other [when the need arises]. [May you] be successful in your lives as a couple and [may this success follow] for your children in the future."

Any thoughts or additional suggestions?

I have found another useful one in my Domnern-Sathienpong dictionary -

ขอให้คุ่บ่าวสาวครองรักกันชั่วฟ้าดินสลาย

kŏr hâi kôo bàao săao krong rák gan chûa fáa din sà-lăai

May the bride and groom/ have an everlasting happy married life/

live together in happiness forever.

Edited by jirve

Thai has some great phrases for "forever":

* ชั่วกัปชั่วกัลป์ [chûa gàp chûa gan] - literally, "through all eons and for all eternity"

กัป [N] eon; the period of time between the beginning to the end of the world

กัลป์ [N] eternity; eon; very long period of time

* นิรันดร [ní-ran-don] - forever, eternally.

* กัลปาวสาน [gan-bpaa-wá-săan, al though I have heard the first syllable as "gan[M]-la[H]"] [ADV] eternally; everlastingly; forever This is a compound word composed of two words:

กัลป์ above, and อวสาน [V] end; terminate; come to an end; be over

* ชั่วฟ้าดินสลา (pronunciation above) - literally, "until the sky and the earth crumble."

Thai is a pretty poetic langauge, isn't it?

Obviously the good old "chock dee krup" doesnt cut it for a marriage good wish.

I believe that a farang guest's wedding hosts would be very impressed when the farang guest gives a perfectly toned and intonated version of the wedding blessing. This is real life Thai, beyond academic learning. Have a good time at the wedding!

Obviously the good old "chock dee krup" doesnt cut it for a marriage good wish.

I believe that a farang guest's wedding hosts would be very impressed when the farang guest gives a perfectly toned and intonated version of the wedding blessing. This is real life Thai, beyond academic learning. Have a good time at the wedding!

hmmm. I wonder if it would go down well if you were to write a love letter to your "fain" using some of these expressions.

would she/he laugh at you, politely smile, or swallow it hook line and sinker ? :o

* ชั่วกัปชั่วกัลป์ [chûa gàp chûa gan] - literally, "through all eons and for all eternity"

I dont think it's ok to use this word for good wish because it can be used when you want to curse someone : ขอให้ตกนรกชั้วกัปชั่วกัลป์ - kor hai tok na rok chua gap chua gan - wish someone go to hel_l for eternity

* นิรันดร [ní-ran-don] - forever, eternally. This word is ok to use.

* กัลปาวสาน [gan-bpaa-wá-săan, al though I have heard the first syllable as "gan[M]-la[H]"] [ADV] eternally; everlastingly; forever This is a compound word composed of two words:

Never heard this word to be used for good wish. May be they do, not sure.

* ชั่วฟ้าดินสลา (pronunciation above) - literally, "until the sky and the earth crumble."

This is quite popular though quite poetic.

This is the phase that I like to say to my friend's wedding:-

ขอให้ชีวิตคู่มีแต่ความสุข มีลูกห้วปีท้ายปี kor hai chee wit koo me tae kwam sook-mee look hua pee taai pee

May your marriage happy always , have kid beginning of year and end of year < I really like this phase, it's a little naughty. :o

I dont think it's ok to use this word for good wish because it can be used when you want to curse someone : ขอให้ตกนรกชั้วกัปชั่วกัลป์ - kor hai tok na rok chua gap chua gan - wish someone go to hel_l for eternity

* นิรันดร [ní-ran-don] - forever, eternally. This word is ok to use.

Never heard this word to be used for good wish. May be they do, not sure.

This is quite popular though quite poetic.

Great observations, Khun LookSaMoon. Thanks for pointing out the subtleties. It is always important to be aware of possible cultural differences

Maybe "the end of time" can have negative connotations. Or perhaps mean "endless karma"?

Anyway, ตลอดไป is definitely positive, and very common in song and verse.

We are very fortunate to have our Thai friends who help steer us correctly here.

I remember one more phase to use in wedding :-

ขอให้รักกันไปจนแก่เฒ่า ถือไม้เท้ายอดทอง กระบองยอดเพชร

kor hai ruk kun pai jon kae tao - tue mai tao yord tong kra bong yord ped

May you love each other till old, hold gold head stick - diamond head shillelagh << not sure if I translated correct. :o

Hi,

I was wondering, what would be some good (sweet) things to write or say to my Thai girl friend. It would be nice to come up with some new things to say.

Jim

Well, in order to that, our technical staff would need to know what it is that you are saying to her now.