Are There More Women In Thailand Than Men?

jakesideas

Or maybe, like me, you suffer from a disorder known as 'selective vision'.

Ask me to number or describe the males or old trouts I've walked past today and I couldn't recall one. Ask me about the pretty laydeez and I have astounding powers of memory.

:o

Some of my theories include...

Ladyboy phenomenon

The men are all hidden away as monks

The men are all in the army on the Burmese border

Higher birthrates for some strange reason

More dangerous jobs for men in Thailand

Or maybe you are right and it is selective vision on my part.

Main reasons in no specific order:

Alcohol

Cigarettes

Motorcycles

I agree...the laws of natural selection surely do apply here. The Darwinian fitness of a Thai male (and farang male) definitely decreases when alcohol mixes with the navigation of the various booby-trapped roads of this kingdom.

Ka123, that rules out just two of my theories. If half the men in their early 20's are either on army bases, in hiding as monks or dressed as ladyboys then I am correct to think that walking around at 3PM some Saturday afternoon I would see more ladies than gents. (I know that wasn't my question- things aren't always as they seem, it seems) And we all know that 2/3 of statistics are lies anyways.

Main reasons in no specific order:

Alcohol

Cigarettes

Motorcycles

You got it, these are the widow makers which need no further explanation or stats. However, i believe that AIDS has now overtaken accidents (mostly motorbikes) as the leading cause of premature death in LOS. Now, I wonder of AIDs reaps more men than women, or is it an equal opportunities killer? :o I would hazard a guess that more men have gone down than women, because they are more likely to be exposed to it at sometime in their life. This would also tip the balance in favour of overall higher numbers of women.

Including the statistic that 2/3 of all statistics are lies? 

Don't have my book of quotes to hand, but some wit stated that there are 3 degrees of untruth: lies, d#mn lies, and statistics.

Except that... you are all wrong. 0.98 males per female is in line or over your home countries.

Yes, there are a lot more females than males in nana plaza or soi 0 but that's about it.

Maybe we're wrong, but maybe the question at the start of the thread should have been phrased better.

It's not how many ladies -v- men there are, but how many are out and about?

The average Thai male is laying in a hammock, smoking, with a bottle or several on a low table, waiting for the ladies to come home and cook the food, clean the house, wash his shirts ......

Come to think of it, what's the difference between a Thai and farang male? :o