Any Vegetarians Out There?

Niranut

I am planning to switch to an all veggie diet and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions for websites or books with good Asian vegetarian recipes. Not much of a cook, so looking for the simple, easy-to-do type recipes.

I've found lots of info online, but all of the recipes and such assume that I have access to Western ingredients. Living in tang jangwat here, need to stick to things that will use all-Asian ingredients.

Not sure at this point if I am going to go vegan or just cut out the meat. But would appreciate any tips for where to find Asian-themed vegetarian info.

Many thanks!

No worries dear.. You can use either online books or kosher cook books ( even no vegan's recipe)

If you know some TH recipes from those already..just use

1) soy protien or mushroom instead meat

2) soya sauce instead fish sauce

3)fermented soy (Tao Jeaw) instead Kapi

You are now vegeterian

No worries dear.. You can use either online books or kosher cook books ( even no vegan's recipe)

If you know some TH recipes from those already..just use

1) soy protien or mushroom instead meat

2) soya sauce instead fish sauce

3)fermented soy (Tao Jeaw) instead Kapi

You are now vegeterian

You are a totally beautiful girl. What is your best vegi dish.

sliced and diced vegetarian sausage with a hint of parmasan cheese = animal rennet and a drop of fish sauce= fish :o .

sorry grover, although some vegi's may eat fish, in my experience mostly its out, and animal rennet def is out.

Sorry to not offer much in the recipe stakes Naranut, as Bambi says, its really not that hard. Been vegi 18 years (5 years Vegan too at one point)and what i suggest is just be informed as to the reasons why you are being vegi, find out the info you want according to that, then look for alternatives ways to cook your already favorite dishes.

Edited by eek

I have some great tofu recipes if you are interested.

Also, it is possible to substitute tofu in many of the meat based thai dishes, use soy sauce instead of fish paste and fish sauce.

I'm not sure if there is an Indian shop in your area, but if there is you might find something like this on the shelf

dalfry.jpg

Its what ive been eating lately. Its only recently come onto the market, they are not frozen, not dried, use no preservatives, they use some special packet to stop it going bad, all vego dishes in the range, its got a shelf life of 1.5 years, taste really good.

I just put it in the microwave for a couple of minutes and add rice. :o

I'm not sure if there is an Indian shop in your area, but if there is you might find something like this on the shelf

dalfry.jpg

Its what ive been eating lately. Its only recently come onto the market, they are not frozen, not dried, use no preservatives, they use some special packet to stop it going bad, all vego dishes in the range, its got a shelf life of 1.5 years, taste really good.

I just put it in the microwave for a couple of minutes and add rice. :o

Do you need recipes for Asian veg dishes? Should I post or put it on website?

Feedback required. :D

Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like the easiest will be to just substitute things in foods that I already enjoy (thanks for the tips on that Bambina and others).

Sbk & ajarnmark, if you don't mind, would be great to get some of your favorite recipes! Just posting them here would probably be best so everyone can enjoy.

I am planning to switch to an all veggie diet and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions for websites or books with good Asian vegetarian recipes. Not much of a cook, so looking for the simple, easy-to-do type recipes.

I've found lots of info online, but all of the recipes and such assume that I have access to Western ingredients. Living in tang jangwat here, need to stick to things that will use all-Asian ingredients.

Not sure at this point if I am going to go vegan or just cut out the meat. But would appreciate any tips for where to find Asian-themed vegetarian info.

Many thanks!

:o As mentioned in one post the annual Thai Chinese vegetarian festival will be in October. My Thai G/F will undoubtably be cutting out meat for a week or more. If you look around you will be able to find a lot of quite good and tasty veggie meals.

I was there a few years back when one of my friends who is a vegetararian was in BKK for a week during the festival. Some Thai-Chineses friends took him out to dinner, and invited myself and a couple other non-veggie types. We had a nice Chinese food dinner, but my friend john, the vegetarian, had all vegetarian food. We kept "sampling" what john had, and it was pretty good. There even is a whole selection of fake meats and non-vegetarian items you can order (most chinese food restaurants do such meals during the vegetarian period) that is all non-meat and such that appears and (somewhat) tastes like meat.

You should be able to find English books in most bookstores in BKK, Pattaya, CM, etc that will have vegetarian reciepts and such. Espicially so in the next month.

:D

My wife went off the the chinese temple this morning, all donned up in white for the cleansing/meditation. She's been eating "jay" for the last 2 days and said it will be for 11 days alltogether. I have been trying everything she's had and there are some excellent dishes. Tops and Tesco have counters selling it, and of course there are a lot of street vendors.

Look for these signs:

thai ("jay")

post-40499-1191987220_thumb.jpg

chinese ("zhai" in standard mandarin, meaning a vegetarian diet adopted for religious reasons)

post-40499-1191987065_thumb.jpg

Maybe I am just easy to please but vegetarian cooking is no big deal - just cook veggies you like the way you feel like. But nice to have jars of pickled things, and stuffed olives, and tomato pesto, etc., to jazz it up when you feel like it. And you will feel so much better not having bits of dead animals in the house!

I have quite a good veggi Thai book, it's by Vatcharin Bhumichitr - called Thai Vegetarian Cooking ..ISBN 1 86205 580 7

here's alink to UK amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thai-Vegetarian-Cooking-Vatcharin-Bhumichitr/dp/1851458913/ref=sr_1_5/026-7447828-9240459?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192226988&sr=1-5

I also have an excellent Thai veggie recipe book. I'll find it and post a link. However, if you cook Thai just make it veggie by leaving out the meat and add your favourite veggie.