56k In Chiang Mai

damian5000

Does anyone have a phone number to a place that can provide reliable 56k service in Chiang Mai? Thanks, much appreciated!

please excuse my ignorance but what is a 56k service?

i assume the OP meant internet dial-up with a speed of 56k.

I guess I should feel spoiled/privileged....I live in an apartment building, and one of the perks is a LAN, connected to an ADSL line provided by TOT, I believe. It su_ks sometimes (depending on # of users, or the main servers) but I pay El Zippo, the big doughnut hole, nada for the service. And when it goes down completely (very rare) I take my laptop out on the balcony and, ermmm, "borrow" a connection off an unsecured WiFi network in my neighborhood. And when THAT is down, I take said laptop, and go to one of the zillion coffeeshops in town that offer free WiFi....life is good, in Chiang Mai! No complaints from me..... :o

McG

please excuse my ignorance but what is a 56k service?

dial-up basically...As opposed to DSL.

If you order a 512 kb/sec package fron TT&T or TOT, you should be able to get 56k pretty consistantly. Except for when the network is down.

TOT or TT&T huh? I'll have to check them out. We went somewhere and inquired and they said it would be a month before they'd get to our area (?!). Checked a couple other places, but the setup costs were well blown IMO (3000 baht to start or some such I believe)

I guess I should feel spoiled/privileged....I live in an apartment building, and one of the perks is a LAN, connected to an ADSL line provided by TOT, I believe. It su_ks sometimes (depending on # of users, or the main servers) but I pay El Zippo, the big doughnut hole, nada for the service. And when it goes down completely (very rare) I take my laptop out on the balcony and, ermmm, "borrow" a connection off an unsecured WiFi network in my neighborhood. And when THAT is down, I take said laptop, and go to one of the zillion coffeeshops in town that offer free WiFi....life is good, in Chiang Mai! No complaints from me..... :o

McG

Wow...Didn't really know there were a lot of coffee shops offering this service, though I haven't looked carefully for them...so... Can you suggest a good spot? I live in Muang Mai district, so whatever's closest. Thanks again.

Wow...Didn't really know there were a lot of coffee shops offering this service, though I haven't looked carefully for them...so... Can you suggest a good spot? I live in Muang Mai district, so whatever's closest. Thanks again.

We're talking WiFi for laptops, right? Click here for the thread that dealt with this recently. :o

McG