Drowning Person

Acquiesce

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you were walking along a beach in Thailand and you saw a person drowning in the water would you help them or would you pretend you had not seen them and keep walking?

Depends on the conditions. Helping a drowning person is a dangerous thing, and many would be saviors have drowned themselves because they underestimated the dangers, and/or were pulled down by the swimmer in trouble because they did not know the techniques.

One has to be a good swimmer, and know the basics of water rescue.

If one is not sure about his abilities it would be best to alert people. Some may have the abilities and training. Walking away and pretending not to see anything is in many countries a punishable offense.

Yes, apparently it’s not uncommon for drowning people to actually grab hold of the rescuer and drown them instead, while keeping themselves above the water. If it’s in shallow water or you have a life jacket or something then no problem.

I'd certainly try to help, and would hope that those who couldn't would at least call for help. Anyone who pretended not to notice deserves to have the same fate as the victim.

I agree, unless they were Canadian or Australian - then i would put my foot on their head

I'd certainly try to help, and would hope that those who couldn't would at least call for help. Anyone who pretended not to notice deserves to have the same fate as the victim.

I agree, unless they were Canadian or Australian - then i would put my foot on their head

That's nice to know -- don't have to waste any time on saving you if I see you in the water. :-P

That's nice to know -- don't have to waste any time on saving you if I see you in the water. :-P

sorry i meant guys - i would save a canadiangirl

Yes, apparently it’s not uncommon for drowning people to actually grab hold of the rescuer and drown them instead, while keeping themselves above the water. If it’s in shallow water or you have a life jacket or something then no problem.

It is actually very common, almost instinctive to grab what is next to one when drowning.

Best thing to do is stay out of distance, throw a T-shirt, and let the person grab that. Wait until he is either loosing consciousness, or is so weak that you can pull him in.

If the person has a hold on you, then best is not to fight it (unless you know that cool Aikido stuff :o ), but just sink - then that person lets you go, generally. Don't underestimate the strength of someone who is drowning.

sorry i meant guys - i would save a canadiangirl

Woohoo! I feel so safe now.

Try to help.

As we all probably know, first rule for any rescue services is to make sure that the rescuer never put him/herself into danger as well.

This to avoid another casualty.

btw,

this reminds me a bit about the car accident thread.

That's why you grab drowning people from behind, so they can't grab at you.

Easier said than done. The safest option is still to wait it out.

How come every time people are dying, your advice is to wait?

Basic lifesaving techniques are taught to all but novice swimmers. If you don't think you're capable, stay out of the water and summon help as fast as you can. There isn't time to wait.

:D:o

Might I remind some of you folks of the rules YOU signed to when you joined Thaivisa. Remember the old saying - If you can't be civil, be quiet?

"2) Posting another members personal details, photos or web site details is forbidden and will result in being banned. Excessive, aggressive posts against other members, moderators and admin; or flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is best defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, rants, and/or for launching personal attacks, insulting, being hateful, useless criticism, name calling, swearing and other bad behavior or comments meant to incite anger.

Do not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or any attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants. The word, or its derivative, "trolling", is used to describe such messages or the act of posting them.

3) Religious or racial slurs, rude and degrading comments towards women, or extremely negative views of Thailand will not be tolerated."

Because a long time ago, when i was still young and a lot fitter i used to make my money doing that job.

Any more questions?

Because a long time ago, when i was still young and a lot fitter i used to make my money doing that job.

Any more questions?

Did you like being a waiter?

I can't believe the ignorance & arrogance of some people.

It's very easy to sit in your nice, safe, cosy armchair & belittle others for not wanting to risk their own life to help another.

I've been in situations (as I chose) whereby I have performed first aid at car accidents & I have actually rescued someone from drowning. I guarantee you that I will, at all costs, try to avoid being in these situations again. Not only is it highly stressful but it's very bloody dangerous.

And to all of those people who are dishing out the simplicities of "water safety", have you got a "water safety" certificate or a Bronze Medallion, issued from a regulatory authority? If you have, good. If you haven't, zip it!

It is compulsory in Australia for all school children to undergo "lifesaving". There are (or was) 4 levels of achievement, the Bronze Medallion being the highest. One of the things you learn about is "approaching" a swimmer in distress. I can't believe that one poster said, "That's why you grab drowning people from behind, so they can't grab at you." The problem with this is that 9.9 times out of 10, the distressed swimmer will see you coming (unless you can swim like a dolphin). Believe it or not, one of the methods used to prevent the distressed swimmer from drowning you, is to punch them in the mouth.

Anyway, all of this "helping people in distress" is silly unless you are prepared to be a part of their distress & unless you can actually do something to really help them. If you can't help, sit it out & keep out of the way.

In Phuket, high waves, I splashed around a bit, I consider myself a good swimmer but stayed very close to the shore as I had felt myself being pulled out strongly, the only guy next to me (Hi Bruce) got in trouble when he went no more than 2 or 3 meters further out. I could see he was a good swimmer but just couldn't make it back in a straight line to the shore, he was being pulled out to sea. I just stood there until lifes guards came to rescue him a few minutes later. They did a fine job with a surfboard, cable and a jeep. There was no point in me putting myself in the same situation he was in and creating the need for a 2nd rescue where one of both may not have made it.

Had conditions been different I would have pulled him out.

Edited by Tony Clifton

3) Religious or racial slurs, rude and degrading comments towards women, or extremely negative views of Thailand will not be tolerated."

So if I see a Nun Drowning I will be polite. and only put my foot on her head if she is Welsh, not Thai.

Just as well I cannot swim......it's complicated stuff :o

Well, I stand by my statement regarding rear approaches for those capable (CRC Bronze Medallion, 1985), and the reason given is exactly why the approach to a conscious victim is from the rear.

And you don't sit it out if you can't actively help, you go get someone who can. That's not too much to ask.

Believe it or not, one of the methods used to prevent the distressed swimmer from drowning you, is to punch them in the mouth.

When i was trained that was only advised to the really big blokes, or to use it when the swimmer was a lot smaller than you. I was taught to best let the swimmer half drown, and then pull him out.

Fortunately i never had to safe somebody who was drowning, i only had to pull people out who have injured themselves, which is a lot easier because they were incapable of doing much.

Nowadays i would think twice before jumping in, especially in an ocean, because i am not as fit as i was once.

So if I see a Nun Drowning I will be polite. and only put my foot on her head if she is Welsh, not Thai.

Just as well I cannot swim......it's complicated stuff :o

Sounds about right. I can't swim either. Good job none of the ships I spent 10 years working on ever sank :D

Believe it or not, one of the methods used to prevent the distressed swimmer from drowning you, is to punch them in the mouth.

When i was trained that was only advised to the really big blokes, or to use it when the swimmer was a lot smaller than you. I was taught to best let the swimmer half drown, and then pull him out.

Fortunately i never had to safe somebody who was drowning, i only had to pull people out who have injured themselves, which is a lot easier because they were incapable of doing much.

Nowadays i would think twice before jumping in, especially in an ocean, because i am not as fit as i was once.

On the occasion that I rescued someone, it took me 2 attempts because they were really struggling. On the 1st attempt, I did manage to spin them around so they wouldn't grab me (it was a fight to do that) & then I tried to use the "chin carry" but every time they got the tiniest bit of water in their mouth, they went berserk. It was then that I had to stop & use the side-stroke "hip carry". It's much easier because you actually have the swimmer in a sort of head-lock...they feel more secure & don't struggle as much.

I think you're right...let them half drown first before you grab 'em.

I'd run to the 1st Australian I saw and I'd ask for help. (Easy to spot, they are usually smiling and friendly.) And whenever I'm on a beach and there is a problem, they are the 1st ones to react. Failing that, I'd look for a Canadian because they are helpful (sort of hard to spot though unless I ran into one, in which case they'd apologize, tipping me off.) I went through the red cross program and know enough to know that I'd drown trying to rescue someone unless it was shallow water, so I'd wait for help.

I'd run to the 1st Australian I saw and I'd ask for help. (Easy to spot, they are usually smiling and friendly.) And whenever I'm on a beach and there is a problem, they are the 1st ones to react. Failing that, I'd look for a Canadian because they are helpful (sort of hard to spot though unless I ran into one, in which case they'd apologize, tipping me off.) I went through the red cross program and know enough to know that I'd drown trying to rescue someone unless it was shallow water, so I'd wait for help.

If you spot a Canadian flag, chances are he's from the U.S. :o