Parenting Advice Please!

DirkGently

Every school holiday, my wife's neices visit us for a week or so. This year is no exception, but with my wife's schedule being very busy and mine being loaded with free time, it seems I will be, quite literally, left holding the baby.

Now, I should point out that this is not something I am dreading as they are nice kids and we are all used to each other, but I don't want them gawping slackjawed at what passes for entertainment on TV.

So what would you suggest? In the past I have taken them to the science park at Mo Chit and Lumpini park. However, this time I will have to entertain them during the early evening.

I have been thinking about something fun, but educational. As their English is very basic, I thought some kind of learning activity would be good. I can only presume their other skills are average due to the dire Thai education system.

I would be very grateful for any ideas as to where to go in the afternoon and what to do with two 10 year olds later in the day.

Thanks.

Dirk.

I would take them to the kids science museum (next to Chatachuk) in the afternoon. Lots of great indoor activities if its raining. Plus outdoor play equipment challenging enough for 10 year olds if its not.

Ice skating is also fun with kids that age. Subzero rink at the Esplanade Mall is good, their evening skate session starts around 5:30 or 6pm. The shopping centre is right on the Thai Cultural Centre underground station so you don't need to brave the rush hour traffic.

Thanks GoingHome, the science museum is pretty good and we may go there again, but not sure about ice-skating. I have tried befoe and just spent most of my time on the floor and it is sure to be their first time.

Thanks for the suggestion all the same.

i just love the aquarium in paragon. its a bit pricey to go in, but i think its wonderful and could spend hours and hours in there. not sure of the opening hours though. they do have the divers go down and feed the sharks though, which the kids will love.

i think its educational as the information is written in thai as well as english and it promotes the 'dont bugger up the environment' message.

Let me start with a sorry for the hazy details but some years back I found a book in ASIA Books ,a small flip book on a sort of ring used to carry keys , it was a book with suggestions addresses and planning details for kids and family trips in BKK . we used it alot ..I cannot remember the name or author having passed it on to a friend who passed it to another and so on until it was lost ...perhaps an enquiry to Asia books ( I got it in Sukumvit Asia books near Ashok ) Or may be some one out there has a better memory than me and remember the name

Second Donna's recommendation for Ocean World at Paragon. Just went there recently for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. And lots of good eats on the ground floor afterwards.

Maybe take them to the cinema to see some English language films and show English language videos at home in the evening if you are interested in helping improve their English. (Harry Potter movie still showing?)

Safari World in Minburi is fun, especially the dolphin and seal shows.

I haven't been to "Dream World" (around Rangsit) but my nephew likes it.

For hot afternoons, there's a water park somewhere altho I forget the name...

Let me start with a sorry for the hazy details but some years back I found a book in ASIA Books ,a small flip book on a sort of ring used to carry keys , it was a book with suggestions addresses and planning details for kids and family trips in BKK . we used it alot ..I cannot remember the name or author having passed it on to a friend who passed it to another and so on until it was lost ...perhaps an enquiry to Asia books ( I got it in Sukumvit Asia books near Ashok ) Or may be some one out there has a better memory than me and remember the name

Nancy Chandler's?? www.nancychandler.net/product.asp?pId=1016

titled What Can We Do Today, kids in Bangkok.

About What Can We Do Today? Kids in Bangkok

Fun-Filled Adventures for Children of All Ages This is an inspirational and educational pack of cards bursting with 52 things to do and places to see in Bangkok, especially designed for parents on the go and the kids that keep them going. With this pack, parents in Bangkok, whether visiting or living in Bangkok, now have a range of options that they may not have considered, or even knew existed. Written by Australian Sue Adams, each card offers a different activity to do with children in Bangkok, some examples shown on this page. Each card includes estimated activity time from downtown Bangkok or Sukhumvit, phone numbers to check hours and/or showtimes, and general directions in English and Thai, including the nearest BTS skytrain station or river taxi stop. The pack also comes with a clip for easy future reference. Suitable for families with toddlers and teenagers. In fact, some teenagers have ordered packs to use with their friends instead of their families!

Nancy Chandler's?? www.nancychandler.net/product.asp?pId=1016

titled What Can We Do Today, kids in Bangkok.

About What Can We Do Today? Kids in Bangkok

Fun-Filled Adventures for Children of All Ages This is an inspirational and educational pack of cards bursting with 52 things to do and places to see in Bangkok, especially designed for parents on the go and the kids that keep them going. With this pack, parents in Bangkok, whether visiting or living in Bangkok, now have a range of options that they may not have considered, or even knew existed. Written by Australian Sue Adams, each card offers a different activity to do with children in Bangkok, some examples shown on this page. Each card includes estimated activity time from downtown Bangkok or Sukhumvit, phone numbers to check hours and/or showtimes, and general directions in English and Thai, including the nearest BTS skytrain station or river taxi stop. The pack also comes with a clip for easy future reference. Suitable for families with toddlers and teenagers. In fact, some teenagers have ordered packs to use with their friends instead of their families!

Thanks you have a better memory than I have or a copy of the book thanks for filling in my missing bits

Thankyou one and all. Personally my idea of hel_l is spending too much time in the empty spaces and glare of the paragon. I have been to Ocean world and it is as good as you say, but i recall it was 400 baht or so each. With food and travel that could add up. As much as i like them, they are not my kids. I was thinking more outdoors and/or cheaper options. As for Imax, at 10 years old I am sure they will be just as 'wowed' by a regular cinema.

What do people do with kids in the afternoons? I remember making stuff with my mum. If anybody could give me some pointers i would be very grateful.

You may ask why I am bothering. Well I sort of feel sorry for them as it seems to me their parents are less interested in their education than they should be and I would hate to see them grow up sweeping leaves or something. On the other hand it gives a great deal of kudos with the family and my wife loves having them around. Big pats on the back all round for me.

So the hours that I am left to my own devices i want to do something fun. I grew up in a house where the TV remained unplugged for days at a time. It sends me cold to see Thai youngsters glued to the most IQ sapping crap ever to be broadcast.

Anyway, thanks for everything and keep it coming.

What do people do with kids in the afternoons? I remember making stuff with my mum. If anybody could give me some pointers i would be very grateful.

Oh THAT's what you mean? I had somehow thought you wanted to go out. Well, what we do is windowcolours (you can get the colours in the B2Ss) and now we are saving money to make a mosaic. We already did one made from shards, looked good. There are also lots of cheap T-Shirts (Tesco, BigC) and T-Shirt colours. If you don't mind messing up your flat for a few days these are good occupations for kids. Also, when my kids were around ten, they loved to play the 'game of life'. Maybe you have friends with kids who could lend that out to you (it's really expensive). Speaking of expensive (but it could keep my kids occupied for HOURS): there are those archeology sets around. Cost from 300-600 Baht. They come with little digging equipment. Available in all toy stores. There are dinos, mammoths and I think I have seen some mummy sets, too (but am not sure whether that was in Thailand). Great stuff.

Then there is Chatuchak. In some shops they have those magic tricks that children could learn.

Some kids also like 'gardening'. So if you have a spare plot of land, give them trowels and some seed.

Edited by sutnyod

Thanks you have a better memory than I have or a copy of the book thanks for filling in my missing bits

Copy/paste :o

But I love Nancy Chandlers maps and books, they are so informative and full of all sorts of off the wall stuff. So I figured that had to be the one you meant

The water park on top of Central Bang Na is fun and cheap.

My nieces also like this water park very much. I usually take a book and let them play by themselves in the pools. Near the entry of the park there are also some painting activities for kids, a bit pricey for what it is, but will keep them busy for half an hour or more.

At places like Central (B2S) and the Mall you can get mosaic kits which start from 79 baht. I do this as an afterschool activity at my school with kids around 10 years old and both boys and girls like it. No need for great English skills either. You could try searching on the internet for art and craft ideas for kids that age and I am sure lots of stuff will come up. Getting out doors, you could go to Lumpini park for a walk or even a ride on the peddle boats (not expensive). If you have a car you could go for a day trip to the beach. Dusit Zoo only costs 50 baht entry (100 baht for foreigners unless you can read the prices in Thai!!) and there's hours of entertainment there - not just looking at the animals but there is a big playground, a lake with boats and a side-show entertainment area (which I personally avoid!). Across the road is Vimanmek mansion - I sure they would be interested in seeing a bit of Thai history - they could even do the tour in Thai so they really learn and get the most out of it. Baiyoke Tower would be a great activity for early evening. No need to go for the buffet, just take a ride up to the viewing area (120 baht ??) and watch the sun set. great views across Bangkok as well as displays inside that the kids love (e.g. sitting in a tuk-tuk, etc).

Edited by sylvafern

Theres a huge park behind the kids museum at the back of Chatuchak.....if you drive behind Chatuchak with the museum on your left (JJ Mall on the right) .......just keep going past the museum and turn left at the t-intersection....follow this along until there is a left turn again at whcih point you can see tennis courts at left and a huge park. Turn left here and follow it along until you see a sort of white security box with a left fork in front of it....take the left fork and follow it along until you see an dold railway carriage and a car park. On the right is the car park and left side is a golf course sized park. In the car park there is a small market where you will find bike hire shops (just ok quality) aqnd back in the park is a track all the way around......couple of laps will have em tired in not time. There is also a small lake with kayaks. In the middle of the park is an area where kids can do painting and other activities but not sure about 10 yr olds. Near the market in the car park is plenty of Thai food places and behind the bike hire places is a golf driving range...

Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

For outings, Bangkok Dolls museum, near Makkasan: http://www.bangkokdolls.com/aboutbd/,

puppet museum http://www.thailandtraveltours.com/news/13...ppet-museum.htm,

Rose Garden http://www.rosegardenriverside.com/ .

Human Imagery Museum is a little further but good for Thai history http://web.ku.ac.th/AmazingThailand/Bordin...ageryMuseum.htm

>Lots of other prospects here, near and far, depending on your location: http://web.ku.ac.th/AmazingThailand/Bordin...ations/#Palaces

Also a little further but a fab day outing is the National Science Museum in Pathum Thani, has a fantastic dinosaur exhib, totally interactive, among other attractions. Perfect for kids. There's a special Jewels of the Sea in the adjacent Natural History Museum. Also in the compound are the IT Museum, a Planetarium and a great outdoor science oriented playground http://www.nsm.or.th/english/index_eng.html

No nasty dual pricing, either.

For home activities, buy a 2m sheet of plastic or larger off the roll at Carrefour, go to B2S craft section and buy large cardboard sheets, paints, magic pens, glitter, plaster of paris, rubber moulds, brushes and whatever else takes your fancy and make things. Art Attack on Sat. mornings on one of the True kiddy channels has fab ideas: my daughter loves it and she's about the same age as the two you're entertaining. Put the plastic sheet on the floor before you start and in the washing machine after you finish.

My kids practically grew up at the Central Bangna water park - I will third this recommendation.

I also used to buy a lot of craft kits at B2S, but the kids quickly outgrew them. Still, they're inexpensive and definitely good for a few days.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet but there's apparently a Railway Park (Suan Rot Fai) which has bicycle riding - I've never been but the wife has taken the kids a few times and they always want to go, so this could be another choice.

Depending on where you live, Dream World may be a bit far, and although the kids like it, it's a bit on the expensive side even if you can pass yourself off as Thai. I'd prefer Siam Park for this type of activity.

• 2 weeks later...

Queen Sirikit Park behind Chatuchak, I prefer the most...

About water parks - our doctor strongly advised to stay away from it - as it is a breeding ground for all types of ****

Rose Garden is fun - thanks for the tip.

Now, offtopic :

Also we try to avoid as much as possible all paraphenalia of moronic personas as M.Mouse, Poo of the Vinnie, idiots from WB and the rest of mind drying objects. The Asia is so colorful and exciting for the developing mind, just go out and have fun, what is the deal with gender-challenged Barnie and Teletubies ? Or Down-Syndrome mutulated Ultra*Who ? Transformers, that pull bricks from their arse, place it on their forehead, while keeping face "kool" ?

Waterfalls at Kao Yai - we should go there one day, but I'm not sure how to get there easy...

Have fun with your kids, cheers.