How To Stop Flies Gathering Around Food

Totster

Having a bit of a shindig this morning, with the usual beer, lao kao and raw beef !

Anyway, a couple of bags filled with water were placed next to the food, and after investigation I found out that this is to scare away the flies.

you can see it in action here - notice the scared flies circling the water bag suspiciously..

post-8857-1191294370_thumb.jpg

totster :o

Welcome home Totster.

:D

Anyway, a couple of bags filled with water were placed next to the food, and after investigation I found out that this is to scare away the flies.

And it really does work hey?

:o

The one idea from Isaan that does seem to work is 2 C.D.'s glued together with their reflective surfaces outermost and suspended by a thread allowing them to swing and revolve - strangely it does help, perhaps the bags of water are a similar idea.

Though in Oz people tend to put a bottle of water on their front lawns to keeps the dogs away !! How the hel_l that works I've no idea.

I have seen this done in Mexico and Central America so it isn't just a Thai belief. I have always seen the bags hanging so that may be important. You disbelievers, keep in mind that your eyes work differently than a fly's and your brains are a little more powerful, I hope. :o Who knows how they perceive a dangling bag of water. BTW: How close would you want to get to a huge ball of floating water?

How To Stop Flies Gathering Around Food, The Isaan way?

Answers ....

Get the in laws to eat the flys!

or

Buy one of those insecticutor tennis racket bat thingy's out of tesco or big c and then spend the afternoon looking like a right <deleted> swatting everything in sight.

Simple really

My neighbour has 5 bottles of water standing in a row against the outside of their house. One day I asked why. "It's to keep away the snakes" they said. Pest control the Isaan Way: bottled water to keep away the snakes and bagged water to keep away the flies. :o

The one idea from Isaan that does seem to work is 2 C.D.'s glued together with their reflective surfaces outermost and suspended by a thread allowing them to swing and revolve - strangely it does help, perhaps the bags of water are a similar idea.

Though in Oz people tend to put a bottle of water on their front lawns to keeps the dogs away !! How the hel_l that works I've no idea.

There are water bottles lined up in front of houses here as well, wife doesn't know what they're for. I've seen dogs sniffing them and then lifting their leg, followed by a few squirts. No snakes but your front yard reeks of dog piss.

two very effective ways to keep off the flies:

1. light candles and place them between the dishes. Works.

2. buy a dried squid and place it AWAY from the food in some corner. The flies will have a conference there and not be interested in your food. Works. (exception: a high content of Kapi in your food, tempting the flies over the squid)

I work in the Desert in Saudi Arabia and i often see bags of wayer hanging from the air con compressor. It seems to be as functional as an ashtray on a bicycle.

In my part of Issan we don't scare them away, we use "rat glue" on a stick to collect them. I have yet to see anyone eat them though.

post-48222-1191372714_thumb.jpg

bags filled with water Bottles filled with water..........

YES they keep away many things, it is a known fact that pacing bottles of water around the garden will keep the cats away, Likewise if dogs pee on your car wheels place a bottle of water next to each tyre, appears not to work to well as many Thai dogs like to pee on plastic

Found also that placing bottles of water around the pond keeps away birds and cats from eating the fish..

I worked for me for that past 30 odd years

So yes why not flies, snakes etc.......... anyone know of a way to keep the worm out of wood? Pest control spray every 4 weeks, but still the wood is being eaten away

YES they keep away many things, it is a known fact that pacing bottles of water around the garden will keep the cats away, Likewise if dogs pee on your car wheels place a bottle of water next to each tyre, appears not to work to well as many Thai dogs like to pee on plastic

Found also that placing bottles of water around the pond keeps away birds and cats from eating the fish..

So yes why not flies, snakes etc.......... anyone know of a way to keep the worm out of wood? Pest control spray every 4 weeks, but still the wood is being eaten away

worms eating what kind of wood ? your garden chairs or trees ?

buy a dried squid and place it AWAY from the food in some corner. The flies will have a conference there and not be interested in your food. Works. (exception: a high content of Kapi in your food, tempting the flies over the squid)

Well this appears to agree with what I've been taught.

To keep the flies out of your kitchen, just place a bucket of shit in your living room.

buy a dried squid and place it AWAY from the food in some corner. The flies will have a conference there and not be interested in your food. Works. (exception: a high content of Kapi in your food, tempting the flies over the squid)

To keep the flies out of your kitchen, just place a bucket of shit in your living room.

Christmas dinner at the Yorkys' is always an aromatic affair. :o

:o:D :D

totster :D

Kitchen ALL units up and down, ALL doors and door frames,[so far had to replace 4 doors + done major repairs on 3 door frames] staircase, windows and frames, house was built 4 years ago this month

That is with a yearly contract with Pest control that spray house and garden every month, all the other 62 houses in the Village are just as bad, my Parki floors are fine but a few have worm in the floors as well.

Kitchen ALL units up and down, ALL doors and door frames,[so far had to replace 4 doors + done major repairs on 3 door frames] staircase, windows and frames, house was built 4 years ago this month

That is with a yearly contract with Pest control that spray house and garden every month, all the other 62 houses in the Village are just as bad, my Parki floors are fine but a few have worm in the floors as well.

look at <sorry - no links> (don't know how to insert a link :D )

they are in Phuket, but believe they sell/ send nationwide

very informative the website. Tried myself some products a few years back and excellent result (however NOT tried the wood protection ones) !

good luck and post yopur experiences

Seppl :o

Edited by Totster
Removed link

I find this really fascinating! I had no idea flies or w/e could be kept away by glasses of water and such. Bizarre. Will try it out one day if i need to, certainly will pass on the info lol.

But are you sure its not just a thai fly thing? The thai people seem to be more 'preeny' than the norm (more so than Latins even), checking their appearance in mirrors/reflective surfaces, esp mall shop girls who i often see crouched down in front of a mirror. So maybe we just have a bunch of rather image conscious insects and animals here too. Maybe worth experimenting with this idea..? If one is very bored :o(note: in light of the recent thai-bashing threads on TV, i wish to clarify that my comment regarding thai preening is not in any way shape or form a criticism. In fact i admire the thai decorum regarding dress sense and appearance. OK! :D)

Christmas dinner at the Yorkys' is always an aromatic affair. :D

LOVE IT! It's the first time I've stumbled on the Issan Thread - this one had me laughing out loud! Keep 'em coming....

BTW, here in Bangkok, the people in my Soi also leave the 2 or 6 litre water bottles outside their front gate - doesn't seem to deter the Soi Dogs though who approach them like an obstacle course for the Olympics! I kid you not, there's a pack of about 15 and I swear they are in training. They shimmy down under the cars and then they do a circuit - en route, they invariably make a beeline for the water bottles and squirt!

Every morning, we have to walk the gauntlet as they also do their Number 2s all down the centre line of the Soi :o - they actually follow the line. :D (I wonder if they have MasterDog shouting instructions, "Right a bit, back and Bingo" :D

Edited by Andiamo