Laying-up Cars For Short Periods

if possible leave the windows open a few centimetres , to allow for some airflow to prevent fungus forming on the leathers and fabrics inside.

raise the windscreen wipers off the glass , to prevent the rubber deteriorating and sticking to the glass.

if you disconnect the battery , make sure you remember the codes for the radio and alarms if your car has them.

leave the handbrake off.

oil the door locks and door hinges.

if possible leave the windows open a few centimetres , to allow for some airflow to prevent fungus forming on the leathers and fabrics inside.

raise the windscreen wipers off the glass , to prevent the rubber deteriorating and sticking to the glass.

if you disconnect the battery , make sure you remember the codes for the radio and alarms if your car has them.

leave the handbrake off.

oil the door locks and door hinges.

Thanks for the response.

Please elaborate on the Radio and Alarm codes. Both cars have them. Where do I find the codes and how would they be re-entered following reconnection of the battery?

Both vehicles will be under cover.

my understanding is that when you disconnect the battery , the codes are lost from the memory chips in the radio and when you reconnect the battery you will have to activate the radio , "logging on" by inputting the codes.

the radio code will have been given to you when you purchased the vehicle , as will the alarm code. should be in the documentation somewhere.

the dealer will ( i'm pretty sure) be able to access them via the smart cards that come with toyotas.

the radio/cd unit has a code button that puts it into the correct mode for inputting the code ( via the programme memory buttons i think).

i'm not sure how the alarm coding works , but it will probably read and reset itself from the electronic key when you reconnect the battery and then use the key to open the door.

might be prudent to check all this with the dealer before you disconnect the battery.

i have left my vigo for 2 months , i didnt disconnect the battery and there was no problem restarting the car.

3 months or more and i would disconnect it though.

my understanding is that when you disconnect the battery , the codes are lost from the memory chips in the radio and when you reconnect the battery you will have to activate the radio , "logging on" by inputting the codes.

the radio code will have been given to you when you purchased the vehicle , as will the alarm code. should be in the documentation somewhere.

the dealer will ( i'm pretty sure) be able to access them via the smart cards that come with toyotas.

the radio/cd unit has a code button that puts it into the correct mode for inputting the code ( via the programme memory buttons i think).

i'm not sure how the alarm coding works , but it will probably read and reset itself from the electronic key when you reconnect the battery and then use the key to open the door.

might be prudent to check all this with the dealer before you disconnect the battery.

i have left my vigo for 2 months , i didnt disconnect the battery and there was no problem restarting the car.

I left my new 2007 Altis for just under 3 months without disconnecting and the battery was flat when I got back.

Surprisingly the garage replaced it under the guarantee but I would have preferred it not to have been flat. I will be disconnecting it next time.

Incidentally, does anyone know if you can buy car battery trickle chargers here in Thailand?

Thanks TaxExile,

I have rooted through the original purchase paperwork but can't see anything specific to 'codes' The English language User Manual doesn't show any info on recoding after battery disconnection/reconnection nor any procedure under the radio/CD player instructions.

I'm taking the Fortuner to the agent for a service next week so I will ask their advice.

The battery in my Fortuner is healthy but 2.5 years old so I know it will go flat if I leave it connected so it will be removed.

Thanks also to other posters for their inputs.

Incidentally, does anyone know if you can buy car battery trickle chargers here in Thailand?

im sure ive seen small solar panel style trickle chargers at boy air and sound here in pattaya.

Thanks. I'll check that out. Might invest if they're not too expensive.