The Best Place To Buy Digital Camera

RoyalOrchid

Where is the best place to buy digital camera and other electronics?

In Thailand? Bangkok? I got my first camera at Phantip and the second a few months ago at MBK. Good deal. Need to walk around, check them out and you better do your homework before you go there will save lotta time.

Edited by legag

I say in the US. The ones sold in Thailand are very strictly price-controlled, so at nearly all retail places, you'll find pretty much the same prices (for authorized products, not gray market imports). The pricing set by distributors is also not very realistic... many times it's around 20-50% more expensive than in the US (using B&H as a reference, since it's a highly reputable store). You might be able to haggle at some of the smaller stores for gray market items, but even then it's not going to be anywhere as cheap as the US. This has been aggravated by the strong baht... basically shops are still selling as if the baht were at around 40 baht to the dollar. There are some (but very few) exceptions, like the wildly popular Canon low-end DSLRs, which, if you buy gray market, will be very close to the US price, probably because of the sheer volume sold.

Guest Reimar

Despite what others tell, if you're living in Thailand you should consider to buy in Thailand.

Main Reason for Brand named Products are the Warranties. Most of the Warranties are local Warranties only. So if you buy a camera in the US you didn't have a local Warranty in Thailand. Counting the cost only for Transportation, even if the repair is under Warranty rules, you can come very easy much above the price of the US! And than think for the time as well. How long would it need to the US, repair and back?

There other reasons as well to buy local but it's your money and you need to consider what you do!

Main Reason for Brand named Products are the Warranties. Most of the Warranties are local Warranties only. So if you buy a camera in the US you didn't have a local Warranty in Thailand. Counting the cost only for Transportation, even if the repair is under Warranty rules, you can come very easy much above the price of the US! And than think for the time as well. How long would it need to the US, repair and back?

There other reasons as well to buy local but it's your money and you need to consider what you do!

AGREE, totally right on point.

I've never (ever, not a single time, none) had to send in a electronic product for warranty service. Not once. This is after I've bought many dozens of electronic products from various places.

The thing about the warranty given for electronics is that they usually are only for a single year, and basically if you don't find any defect with the product within a few hours of purchase, chances are you won't find any AT ALL in that first year. So basically, you're paying a 20-30% premium for a very very short insurance period. If it were, say 3 years, then yes, it might be more of an issue, but those with extended warranties usually also have international warranties. The only reason I bought my DSLR here was that I needed it right away, not for the warranty at all. The warranty was useless, as I never used it. Practically everything else I bought in the US, and saved several hundred thousand baht. None have needed warranty service.

When I said to buy in the US, I am assuming that the buyer has an easy/cheap way to do this. As in, he lives in the US, goes there frequently, has friends in the US, etc. etc. This is because if you were to buy a ticket to the US just to buy some camera, it would be idiotic. The question was "where to buy", without any specific constraints and not really saying who the buyer is (not assuming that the buyer is in Thailand, and won't travel, and has no contacts), after all. For a buyer who has easy access to the US (to be able to buy the camera in the first place), in the very off chance that it were to fail within the warranty period, then he would have no problem sending it back. So yes, it's still much better to buy in the US, given that you have the means to buy it there in the first place. Me, I'm that kind of person, and there are plenty of expats in this forum who are in the same situation.

Despite what others tell, if you're living in Thailand you should consider to buy in Thailand.

i have to agree, i bought my last one 3 weeks ago from ebay hong kong, after a small amout of customs and post it was within a 1000 baht of what i could have bought it for here and realistically i have no warranty,.

I recently bought a Canon in the US because it was half price of the same one in Thailand. Yes, exactly half price so I was floored at how much money I saved!

Yes if I need warranty then shipping will be more (BFD) but keep in mind some types of repairs in the US costs less than the same repairs in Thailand so you can still come out ahead. And besides, slim chances of needing warranty work anyway. It's not like it's something that happens every few months. And that reminds me of yet another option, there is a big market for broken cameras on ebay in the US since people fix them and resell them. So instead of going through the warranty process you can opt to just sell it on ebay & buy a brand new camera of whatever type you want. And of course if it really concerned me I could have just bought two of them in the US for the price of one in Thailand.

Other advantages. The US gives you more selection in camera models and accessories. And maybe the best reason is in the US you can buy the very latest and greatest when it is rolled out where Thailand you may be stuck choosing from the old models. Ever looked at the classified ads for cameras in Thailand? In every case I have seen they are priced well above what they cost brand new in the US. And the seller is always saying what a good deal it is!

Memory cards also carry substantial advantages if purchased in the US since typically you can get higher capacities, have more brands to choose from, get higher performance cards, and better prices to boot.

Good thread! If you have the choice of buying in either place, just be informed.

Edited by cali

Guest Reimar

For those who are US residents, frequent US Traveller, having close relation or Friends in the US it may works to buy in the US!

But what's with those which don't have that connections? European, Asian pp.?

Warranties are exactly that: a kind of insurance for a limited period! Hopefully never need it but good to have!

Cost of repair (after Warranty!)?! I don't believe that the cost in the US are cheaper than in Asia, let say in Thailand! Manpower in the US is cost 10x as in Thailand and more! Don't mention the time for sending to, repairing and sending back! And the cost for that although!

A few years ago I was buying a Hardware Firewall via a friend from the US. That Firewall was sold by TRUE for THB 400,000 and from the US for THB 127,000 excl. Upgarde! Big difference. Checked the avaibility in Asia (Singapore, Malysia, HKK) no answer from the manufacturer in the US! Because of argent need, I bought it from the US via the Friend.

After a few month some problems and I've to send back to the US for Service: Shipping cost US $ 120 (2 way) and time 3 month!

In the meantime I was try to find a different Supplier/Service in Asia and by Accident a Engineer was getting one of my e-mails and send my the name of the Importer from Thaland: SVOA!! Contacted SVOA for a Quotation and was getting a Price of THB 142,000 incl. Upgrade 3 years and free Service for 1 year after Warranty

I was buying a 2. Firewall from SVOA and even the Service from them was onsite!

Now you tell me which is the better solution: buy ins the US or in Thailand?!

Same as above mentioned on applies for many products!

May I have to pay more in Thailand but since I living here, I would buy the Product local!

And it's not only for Cameras but for all products!

For Hong Kong, stay away (far, far away) from the tourist shop areas like Tsim Tsa Tsui. It's very likely you'll get ripped off very badly there, as it's happened way too many times before (it happened to me, and my friends). Not only that, since they're frequented by tourists, they don't have to worry about reputation, since tourists come and go. Therefore, they treat tourists like trash. They'll kick you out of their store, shout at you, and basically be very unpleasant. If you want to buy in Hong Kong, do your research VERY VERY thoroughly before attempting it. One person I knew only escaped being ripped off because he knew a HK police sergeant, and only when he threatened to call that person did the shop give him back his money.

For Hong Kong, stay away (far, far away) from the tourist shop areas like Tsim Tsa Tsui. It's very likely you'll get ripped off very badly there, as it's happened way too many times before (it happened to me, and my friends). Not only that, since they're frequented by tourists, they don't have to worry about reputation, since tourists come and go. Therefore, they treat tourists like trash. They'll kick you out of their store, shout at you, and basically be very unpleasant. If you want to buy in Hong Kong, do your research VERY VERY thoroughly before attempting it. One person I knew only escaped being ripped off because he knew a HK police sergeant, and only when he threatened to call that person did the shop give him back his money.

Well put.

I would add you can get some great deals in HK but before making any significant purchase you should have already worked out what your going to pay and how much you are paying before you walk ibto a shop.

I've spent hundreds of thousands of Baht on camera's and lenses much of it in HK and will probably be buying my new D3 from HK.

Cheers

I've never (ever, not a single time, none) had to send in a electronic product for warranty service. Not once. This is after I've bought many dozens of electronic products from various places.

The thing about the warranty given for electronics is that they usually are only for a single year, and basically if you don't find any defect with the product within a few hours of purchase, chances are you won't find any AT ALL in that first year. So basically, you're paying a 20-30% premium for a very very short insurance period. If it were, say 3 years, then yes, it might be more of an issue, but those with extended warranties usually also have international warranties. The only reason I bought my DSLR here was that I needed it right away, not for the warranty at all. The warranty was useless, as I never used it. Practically everything else I bought in the US, and saved several hundred thousand baht. None have needed warranty service.

When I said to buy in the US, I am assuming that the buyer has an easy/cheap way to do this. As in, he lives in the US, goes there frequently, has friends in the US, etc. etc. This is because if you were to buy a ticket to the US just to buy some camera, it would be idiotic. The question was "where to buy", without any specific constraints and not really saying who the buyer is (not assuming that the buyer is in Thailand, and won't travel, and has no contacts), after all. For a buyer who has easy access to the US (to be able to buy the camera in the first place), in the very off chance that it were to fail within the warranty period, then he would have no problem sending it back. So yes, it's still much better to buy in the US, given that you have the means to buy it there in the first place. Me, I'm that kind of person, and there are plenty of expats in this forum who are in the same situation.

This pretty much fits my situation except the Canon I plan on buying will be a gift to a Thai friend. It's not an expensive model (200 USD) but the Thai equivalent looks to be a 30-40% markup ( the only difference is the model numbers). I'm assuming the Thai model comes with the owners manual in Thai but what about the menus on the camera itself? Is it possible to get (purchase, copy, download) the owners manuals in Thai?

Prices do differ. I've bought a FUJI S5700 three days ago. Most larger shops in Pantip ask THB 9,900 for it, the smaller shops charge a 1,000 baht less.

The place I bought it from ('It says 'DIGITAL CAMERA in red large letters, think third floor) quoted THB 8,800. I haggled it down to THB 8,600. Not grey import I think because the box and manual were in Thai, and everything was included (free 1Gig SD card).

Also the large (specialized) shop at Fortune sells under the official price. The Nikon D40X (my first choice, but simply too heavy) is THB 24,800 at most places (Big Camera, IT City etc), however in Fortune THB 21,900 and the place in Pantip THB 20,500 ... same kit.

Better luck than I have. I have had three digital video cameras. First one worked about 3 months. Got my money back and bought a new one. That one worked about 7 months before it stopped working. It was under warranty but could not be repaired so I got a new upgraded model. That one worked about a little more than a year and a half but stopped working last week. This time the warranty has expired.

Where is the best place to buy digital camera and other electronics?

try www.pix-one.com for digital cameras, one of their stores is in Fortune Town (BKK).

other electronics (except IT), browse at big malls (Paragon, Central, Power Buy etc) and wait for 'mega sale' save 30-50% if the thing is still there.. :o

That's pretty bad luck, qualtrough. What I do is I usually wait a while for a product to be out (I don't buy a product as soon as it's out... there are likely bugs and the price is not realistic). Then I do some research on user complaints about reliability. Then I actually buy it. With this, I've never had to have an electronic device fixed within warranty, and I'm not gentle with my devices (I've dropped my camcorder and camera on many occasions, and saw them bounce and roll on the pavement).

When I mentioned fixed prices, I meant at the bigger stores, like IT Mall and department stores (power buy, etc). Their prices will be fixed. Smaller shops (with generic names) will have lower prices, but many times it will be gray market. As for Thai manuals, sometimes they're available for download, sometimes not. Thing is, the cheaper digicams can be operated by practically anyone without a need for a manual.