Cans Of Compressed Air

Mobi

I'm always reading in computer geek articles about how I should use cans of compressed air to clean my PC's, key boards etc.

Some of these articles are written for readership in Thailand, so i was wondering if anyone had ever come across them for sale here. Maybe in Tuk com?

Any information will be gratefully received. :o

I'm always reading in computer geek articles about how I should use cans of compressed air to clean my PC's, key boards etc.

Some of these articles are written for readership in Thailand, so i was wondering if anyone had ever come across them for sale here. Maybe in Tuk com?

Not compressed air but I use a hairdryer on full blast (cold setting) to clean out the buscuit crumbs etc from between the keys. :D

When I want to get rid of dust, and I mean ALL the dust out of my PC, I've always brought it to the local gas station and used the air compressor. Same for CD/DVD players, tape decks, etc. Do not overspin the fans, go easy on them.

Wireless keyboard is taken apart and keys and inside scrubbed with a brush to get the gunk off. Like brand new every time.

I would caution against using hair dryers or vacuumes to clean a computer due to static issues. However, if you dry it properly you can put a keyboard in the dishwasher.

Can i put the complete unit in the dishwasher as well?

Yeah, give it a go and let us know how you get on. Afterwards you can change your nic and avatar

post-38330-1191471913_thumb.jpg

Mobi I found it at Powerbuy in Tukcom

- none in basement when i went looking

Thanks for all the info. :o

I'll try Tuk com.

BTW - totally off topic but 4th floor, Tuk Com now has the final episodes of Sopranos.

Can I ask you how much you pay for the Sopranos DVDs? The previous guy in the Tuk Com shop used to give me an extra DVD when I was buying maybe 3 or 4 but the current people stick to 120 baht regardless of number bought.

Probably reckon I want them so bad I will pay!

Thanks for all the info. :o

I'll try Tuk com.

BTW - totally off topic but 4th floor, Tuk Com now has the final episodes of Sopranos.

Can I ask you how much you pay for the Sopranos DVDs? The previous guy in the Tuk Com shop used to give me an extra DVD when I was buying maybe 3 or 4 but the current people stick to 120 baht regardless of number bought.

Probably reckon I want them so bad I will pay!

I honestly can't remember. I reckon I'm one of their best customers as I'm always in there buying TV series and the like.

They once opened up especially for me, just after a police raid and gave me a private viewing :D

Anyway, I always buy a load of stuff and negotiate a special discount. Speaking Thai helps.

Watching Sopranos or Boston Legal or Deadwood DVD's late at night with English sub titles (for us of the hard of hearing brigade), no commercial breaks, no censorship and the facility to pause when taking a pee, beats the h..ell out of the UBC rubbish.

And if I fall asleep, I can pick up where I left off the next night. :D

i tried to find compressed air a while back and gave up when I rrealised the cost of a new keyboard

nice if there are some air cans easily found, as mentioned, but ###### difficult to find.

at 300 baht (less or more) for a new keyboard it is not worth it for just this item as has been discussed. Use keyboard for years and clean normally, then buy a new one, or do you want to chase around for the sake of spending an extra 100 or 200 baht and getting a brand new one. In Pounds that's a lot of leg work for around a GBP 2.50 extra, probably spent in travel costs and frustration anyway.

Think some people have too much time on their hands or budget is sooooo tight maybe

Edited by twix38

Watching Sopranos or Boston Legal or Deadwood DVD's late at night with English sub titles (for us of the hard of hearing brigade), no commercial breaks, no censorship and the facility to pause when taking a pee, beats the h..ell out of the UBC rubbish.

And if I fall asleep, I can pick up where I left off the next night. :o

You sure you're hard of hearing? I have trouble hearing DVDs too and would be lost without the Subtitles (which the First Series of the Sopranos didn't have on the set I bought).

Couldn't agree more about UBC. I got rid of mine last month and now feel good that I'm not paying for c**p every month.

i tried to find compressed air a while back and gave up when I rrealised the cost of a new keyboard

nice if there are some air cans easily found, as mentioned, but ###### difficult to find.

at 300 baht (less or more) for a new keyboard it is not worth it for just this item as has been discussed. Use keyboard for years and clean normally, then buy a new one, or do you want to chase around for the sake of spending an extra 100 or 200 baht and getting a brand new one. In Pounds that's a lot of leg work for around a GBP 2.50 extra, probably spent in travel costs and frustration anyway.

Think some people have too much time on their hands or budget is sooooo tight maybe

It's not just the key boards, but also the computers themselves. (you carefully blast the 'innards')

Not sure I can buy 2 new desk tops and a laptop for 300 Baht or so :o

The 'leg work' is being done by my good friends in TV by telling me where I can find it. I shan't be making a special journey, but will check out Tuk com and some of the other suggested places during my regular trip down town tomorrow.

No stress, no extra transportation costs, and no frustration.

I feel at perfect peace with the world and will continue to do so, with or without cans of compressed air :D

Edited by Mobi

You sure you're hard of hearing? I have trouble hearing DVDs too and would be lost without the Subtitles (which the First Series of the Sopranos didn't have on the set I bought).

Couldn't agree more about UBC. I got rid of mine last month and now feel good that I'm not paying for c**p every month.

Unfortunately, yes.

What typically happens is that I turn up the volume to hear the dialogue, and then the background music blasts me, and everyone within 50 meters out of their boots. It is quite common to have trouble hearing midrange sounds as you get older - especially in so many movies where the actors tend to mumble. (especially Americans)

These days I find I do a lot of lip reading - I only realised this recently when I found I hear what someone is saying much better if I can see their mouths.

WOW what a strange post ! do you have something against the sale of compressed air

in cans or something ? :o Its not hard to find at all at Tuckom and as the OP said its for use on the entire

laptop not just the keyboard - RELAX it all taken care of in this thread :D

well i'm relaxed too

had my share of frustration 9 months ago going from pillar to post to find a can of comressed air in Pattaya - hence the very reason for this posting no doubt.

I clearly thought it was for a PC's keyboard and had it been so, it was rather a waste of time etc, as stated. If for computer, keyboard, Laptop, then fair play.

Good luck

Edited by twix38

When I want to get rid of dust, and I mean ALL the dust out of my PC, I've always brought it to the local gas station and used the air compressor. Same for CD/DVD players, tape decks, etc. Do not overspin the fans, go easy on them.

Wireless keyboard is taken apart and keys and inside scrubbed with a brush to get the gunk off. Like brand new every time.

That may be risky. The action of compressing air for commercial use such as gas stations induces high levels of moisture (yes, water!) into the air stream. Most gas stations in the west have filters and a water trap on the outlet but that is optional, i.e. water droplets going into a tire isn't a problem whereas water droplets in a paint sprayer is. I reckon we are all familiar with the effects of water in computers!

Also keep in mind that any compressed air stream in excess of 30 p.s.i. can easily puncture the skin, creating embolisms and propel foreign matter at up to 80 k.p.h. into your unprotected eyes.

These days I find I do a lot of lip reading - I only realised this recently when I found I hear what someone is saying much better if I can see their mouths.

No wonder you keep getting the wrong end of the stick on my TV posts!

Maybe if you shout REALLY LOUD into your keyboard, I might just hear your confused ramblings :D

Back to the topic :D

I went to Tuk Com. Couldn't find any compressed air anywhere. All I found was a can called a "Power Duster" which cost around 400 Baht. It may in fact be compressed air - I'm not really sure. :o

The air came out very cold and left a layer of 'frost' over the sprayed item. After using it a couple times, the air stopped coming out at force and was useless. Not really sure what I've got, but doubt it's the genuine article, and 400 Baht is lot of money for something that packs up after a couple of squirts.

Ah well, I'll try to find some in BKK next time I'm there.

• 3 weeks later...
Lotus Tesco have Compressed Air can as a stock item - 380 baht.

What department at Tesco? Electronics/computers? Tools/hardware? Or, as so often I find, in a totally unrelated department?