Taxi's To Level 2?

onzestan

I'd like to know too... No report in 4 days, does it mean everyone is using the departure level??? :o

Still the same shit

as of yesterday

nobody has moved

the situation on the departure level was taxis parked 2 deep trying to pick up fares while a security pickup truck drove around with flashing light and blasting on a megaphone in thai that they were not allowed to pick up passengers- not much respect in the enforcement here - all the drivers snarl and say that the security are working for the private car mafia

a few weeks ago I watched a fellow try to get into a taxi on the departures level and the little security guys tried to put a boot on the taxi as the customer was getting in. There was a little bit of pushing, threats and mild kicking before the driver got inside and the taxi drove off - the customer just walked down to the next taxi and got in and zoomed off

I'd like to know too... No report in 4 days, does it mean everyone is using the departure level??? :o

Watch out. The "aim" was to go from ground level... to the first level (arrival). Not the departure.

If Kevc is right, then they've (finally) done it.

Still the same shit

as of yesterday

nobody has moved

the situation on the departure level was taxis parked 2 deep trying to pick up fares while a security pickup truck drove around with flashing light and blasting on a megaphone in thai that they were not allowed to pick up passengers- not much respect in the enforcement here - all the drivers snarl and say that the security are working for the private car mafia

a few weeks ago I watched a fellow try to get into a taxi on the departures level and the little security guys tried to put a boot on the taxi as the customer was getting in. There was a little bit of pushing, threats and mild kicking before the driver got inside and the taxi drove off - the customer just walked down to the next taxi and got in and zoomed off

I got to watch the security guys trying to get the taxis to move on on a few occasions. Pathetic, every time, the taxi drivers simply ignores them and parks for a little while. What they need is two armed guards, one to to tell the taxi to move on and another to puncture a tire instantly upon refusal to move. Then, impound the taxi for a month. Stubborn as they are, it could necessitate a whole runway.

Why is airport authority still so powerless?

Got this email from a friend:

Being on autopilot, I just made my way downstairs to the taxi area....opppps, they moved it to the same leave as arrivals.

Just a heads up...also, they had all the taxi drivers lined up so went you went to get a taxi, the driver(s) were all in line opposite you dunno.gif

The drivers didn't look too happy but TIT.

Finally AOT got one act right... :o

i came through yesterday...

limo touts are still there on Arrival level..one of them offered me a ride back into BKK for same price as a taxi....she said that was 600 baht...i suggested to her that she must be travelling in the wrong taxis..

stay on arrival floor..go outside.. couple of lines outside of taxi drivers lining up (!) (never seen that before)...there are a couple of desks.. tell the guy there where you want to go.. he fills the address on a chit and gives it to taxi driver.. you have to pay road tolls(40 baht + 25 baht on the way i came)...you have to pay 50 baht more than is on the meter as that is the booking fee..make sure you got some small notes( you can change them at road toll booths) as the drivers invariably have no change...cost me 190 baht (+50 baht) on meter to Sheraton area on sukhumvit...

Why are we hateing the taxi's looking to pick up at departures??? Is it because then you can't get to the curb at departures to fly out???

I always used to go up one level to departures for a cab, save the 50 baht 'fee', no queue, and always found that the drivers would use the meter... "falang is smart enough to get a cab at departures, he must know the fare"

Aside from the reason not to above, is there a reason for me not to get a cab at departures????

Cheers,

Daewoo

They should've left it on the ground level. My wait for a taxi tripled in length :o Also, the sidewalks are no longer usable for pedestrian traffic.

Now it feels almost like Don Muang - pissed me off enough to make me consider going up to Departures to try and get a taxi.

In my opinion, a bad move by AOT. The Ground level is deserted - and of course the restaurants and the mini mart down there have lost nearly all their business.

is there a reason for me not to get a cab at departures????

Cheers,

Daewoo

Yes there is and a very important one. It's against the rules and very unfair to the taxi's that do follow the rules. :o

Anyway thank you all for the information

onzestan

There seems to be a woman in charge now who lines all the taxi drivers up in an orderly line and makes sure that there is no corruption :o

it seems that word of the fixed taxi fares from the desk got out and they sent int a school mistresses to clean it up

I came in at 6 am today and counted 8 touts that tried to get me before i made it to the new taxi desk - before any could get a word out, i just raised my index finger to my lips and said 'shhhh' these included cute little girls in yellow dresses standing inside the baggage recovery area who were approaching travelers as they waited for their bags.

must be quite unnerving for the new visitor -

so now they just have to shoot all the touts and the airport will be on its way to recovery -

the problem probably is that the private car mafia probably paid and is paying huge bribes to the Individual who has the power to remove them.

Why are we hateing the taxi's looking to pick up at departures??? Is it because then you can't get to the curb at departures to fly out???

I always used to go up one level to departures for a cab, save the 50 baht 'fee', no queue, and always found that the drivers would use the meter... "falang is smart enough to get a cab at departures, he must know the fare"

Aside from the reason not to above, is there a reason for me not to get a cab at departures????

There are at least 2 reasons not to pick a taxi at Departures:

- Taxis are not allowed to pick passengers from there. If they did, no taxi would wait 1-2 hours in the queue at the arrivals (that 50 baht extra fee is to reimburse them for waiting on you rather than storming off or pick somebody from departures) and that would break the system.

- Taxis coming to departures are not registered (their numbers noted down by security) and they can skin you alive if they want, nobody knows they have ever been at the airport.

The cabbies may think a farang doing that is rather stupid.

- Taxis are not allowed to pick passengers from there. If they did, no taxi would wait 1-2 hours in the queue at the arrivals (that 50 baht extra fee is to reimburse them for waiting on you rather than storming off or pick somebody from departures) and that would break the system.

Actually, that's a reason to pick a taxi from departures. Since it isn't allowed, taxi drivers will be very happy to get a customer as quickly as possible and thus there will not be any problems about using a meter.

- Taxis coming to departures are not registered (their numbers noted down by security) and they can skin you alive if they want, nobody knows they have ever been at the airport.

This also applies to taxis that you pick from the street... They aren't "registered" anywhere, and they could skin you alive.

Actually, that's a reason to pick a taxi from departures. Since it isn't allowed, taxi drivers will be very happy to get a customer as quickly as possible and thus there will not be any problems about using a meter.

This also applies to taxis that you pick from the street... They aren't "registered" anywhere, and they could skin you alive.

There is no rule in the street. At the airport, there is.

Same at Changi in Singapore. Not even backpackers would try to dodge it and try to save 5S$ surcharge.

I thought that the 50 Baht fee went to the Taxi Desk (from the Taxi Driver)...

My flight always gets into BKK abut 11pm... the queue at the Taxi Desk can be 30 minutes, and then the 30 minute trip into town means that I can't get a drink because I arrive at midnight... I am only looking to save 30 minutes, not 50 Baht...

I never have a problem getting the driver to use the meter, or to agree on a good price if he is giong to wait for me to check into my hotel and rush me to a bar...

If the Taxi desk did anything to help other than write your hotel name on a chit, I would support it... much better than having touts swarm you when you exit the airport like in some other countries...

Rules schmules... I don't care about the rules, but if me taking a taxi from departures inconveniences other travellers than I am willing to toe the Taxi Desk line...

Cheers,

Daewoo

just came in yesterday - public taxis have moved up to level 2 - the same level as arrivals :o

Found that a couple of weeks ago after trekking downstairs..

Took some convincing to use the meter instead of chargeing a flat 400b, though with tip, I paid more than that anyway.

Came in early Oct 12, went to the usual bottom level, was told that the public taxi ranks are now at two places on Level 2: at Entrance 9 and Entrance 4. I went to Entrance 9 and it was a breeze, perhaps because there were hardly any other passengers around. If AOT manages to put signs up in the Arrivals hall telling people (a real brain teaser, I know), then we'll actually have an efficient system.

How much are the "official" taxis/limousines etc?

I paid 700b on my first trip 2 years ago (and he dropped me at the wrong hotel). If it was more like 400, I'd pay it if it meant a safer ride.

aot limousine to sukhumvit asoke-nana area costs 1000 baht for foreigners. :o thais pay around 700.

check your aot limousine receipt if it has "(f)" after the destination in the description column, you are paying the rip-off rate. :D

aot limousine to sukhumvit asoke-nana area costs 1000 baht for foreigners. :o thais pay around 700.

check your aot limousine receipt if it has "(f)" after the destination in the description column, you are paying the rip-off rate. :D

Do you mean 700 B is not a rip off :D ?

What more do you get with AOT limo's?

Fast track, no waiting line?

Someone to carry your luggage?

Better/newer/bigger car?

Driver who knows Bangkok?

Elvis music under way?

The extra 700 B farang price rip off must give you something in return don't ya?

Do you mean 700 B is not a rip off :D ?

What more do you get with AOT limo's?

Fast track, no waiting line?

Someone to carry your luggage?

Better/newer/bigger car?

Driver who knows Bangkok?

Elvis music under way?

The extra 700 B farang price rip off must give you something in return don't ya?

Well, from what I've seen, a safer looking vehicle - rear seatbelts etc, and a driver who doesn't talk on his mobile while doing 160kph. Got from Don Muang to Nana Hotel in under 20 minutes recently. Glad I went before I left the airport.

On my own, I don't bother. But if I ever had my parents over, I'd probably use one.

I came in just last week again and found that when I picked up my luggage from the belt there was already someone there to ask me if I wanted a taxi.

I thought they were only outside between the doors and the public taxi but now they are even inside just before you clear the customs.

How is this possible???

llk

How is this possible???

It is not possible. I mean normally.

:D

Just the "mafia" of AOT limousines.

The competition is higher now (since public taxis, at last, came on arrival level). Therefore, AOT limousines need to push further : before customs.

After that, if it's not enough, they might come at the contact bridges, next to the airplanes...

And if it's not enough, they could go inside the planes, inside the toilets... under your seat.

Just a thai way to solve a business issue. :o

There's nothing unusual about there being more expensive 'taxis' having kiosks in the terminal and staff that try to lure you over.. Happens in many places, Singapore included.. But I only know BKK that has touts airside.

Should find out what they cost to lower Suk and try to drive a hard bargain if it's more than about 350b..

I come back after 3 months on business and I find they have changed the taxi's to the arrival level. I have three bags with me and my wife and daughter come to greet me. Sounds good but try and get a newer larger taxi to accomodate the whole crew, NOT. The hag with the tickets sends the only large taxi with some lady that has one bag and alone. I ask nicely for the same taxi for the crew and she gets all bent out of shape sends me over to one of the old little taxi's from the day's of no meters. I asked why I couldn't trade with the lady and well my thai isn't that good but nobody talks about my mom like that. So I lose my cool and the driver gets the giggles and starts laughing at me So I make a couple of comment about his relationship with his mother and all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. GO figure.

SO after all that I would like to know one thing. WHEN WILL THE TRAIN BE FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!