"retirement Visa"

This post is absurd....Contrary to anything and everything Ive SEEN/READ with my own 2 eyes,either here or on MFA links.TROLL?,Gurus?, Anyone?

He doesn't have a clue. You and I got O-A visas based on retirement, which is one of many categories of O-A visa. Since I submitted all the documentation required for a retirement visa, I have to assume that is what I got, even though the visa stamp doesn't mention retirement.

Perhaps he didn't understand my post. Let it slide.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did not give you a so called retirement visa. A retirement visa is for age 55 plus and Bt 800,000 on the bank or retirement income of this amount .You received a O-A 1 year visa which expires on Feb. 06 2006. So when you enter Thailand do not forget to report to the Immigration very latest 90 days after the visa was issued. ||| So have to report to the immigration around May 3. This is for address notification purposes. They will give you adress notification papers which you have to send to the immigration office every 90 days.

Have fun

This post is absurd....Contrary to anything and everything Ive SEEN/READ with my own 2 eyes,either here or on MFA links.TROLL?,Gurus?, Anyone?

Sorry, do not get you ?

He doesn't have a clue. You and I got O-A visas based on retirement, which is one of many categories of O-A visa. Since I submitted all the documentation required for a retirement visa, I have to assume that is what I got, even though the visa stamp doesn't mention retirement.

Perhaps he didn't understand my post. Let it slide.

Lets skip it.

I am a Notary Public which made life easy for all concerned

Now, that's cheating!! :o

It seems the term 'notarized' can mean different things. Here in Thailand, my understanding is that notarization (at least at US Embassy/Consulate) is merely an official stating that you've sworn before him as to the validity of the paperwork. In the States, notarization, as I understand it, is simply signature witnessing.

And as MG says, to have your doctor and local sheriff go to the notary to have their signatures witnessed is nonsense; so I guess the Thai Embassy is looking for something a little more official than letterhead stationary -- but is confused about notarization in the States. But I would bet they'd take the medical and cop paperwork as long as the notary raised seal was affixed -- and this could be done by my signing in front of a notary something to the effect that 'this is a valid document.'

But, hey, use Houston, New Orleans, or Portland Honorary Consulates and you won't need notarization. And according to Mike, don't use Miami.

Any other reads on Honorary Consulates? Hawaii? Boston?

As a lifelong government bureaucrat I know that there are rules and then there are "rules".

My guess is that at the Embassy and official consulates the clerks that process visas are either Thai's and/or folks who have bosses who are Thai. They have no choice but to follow the letter of the MFA regulations. The honorary consulates are Americans who are aware of the fact that there is no need to have the doctor statement or police clearance notarized, especially if they have one original.

Hence what seems to be the common experience: the honorary consulates are "easier"....

:o

It seems the term 'notarized' can mean different things. Here in Thailand, my understanding is that notarization (at least at US Embassy/Consulate) is merely an official stating that you've sworn before him as to the validity of the paperwork. In the States, notarization, as I understand it, is simply signature witnessing.

And as MG says, to have your doctor and local sheriff go to the notary to have their signatures witnessed is nonsense; so I guess the Thai Embassy is looking for something a little more official than letterhead stationary -- but is confused about notarization in the States. But I would bet they'd take the medical and cop paperwork as long as the notary raised seal was affixed -- and this could be done by my signing in front of a notary something to the effect that 'this is a valid document.'

But, hey, use Houston, New Orleans, or Portland Honorary Consulates and you won't need notarization. And according to Mike, don't use Miami.

Both are good to deal with. :D

Both are good to deal with. :D

I got tourist visa's for myself, my wife, and four grandkids through the consulate in El Paso, Texas. They were great. I wil definitely consider using them again next time.

Not totally correct. A Notary merly attests to a fact. The fact may be a signature or some other action. In Florida I can even perform a Marriage. Certifying a document is much different in that it is an Official Government Document certifed true by a government official admissable in a court of law. The criminal records check is Certified by the Florda Department of Law to be a true document. I Notarized the Dr's signature in that I am stating that the Dr. actually signed the certificate. I am permitted by Florida Law to attest to a signature as long as it not my own, and does not belomg to my wife or some other member of my family. The Dr. is not part of my family.

Does this clear up the controversy?

Mike

The criminal records check is Certified by the Florda Department of Law to be a true document.

Mike, is this what you did with your criminal check -- had it "certified?" But had the medical record (signature upon) notarized? Is this what the Thai Embassy specifically asked for?

Just curious, because my feeling (before your posts) were that the term 'notarized' was being misused by the Thais, and was their blanket term for "officially blessed." You, with your background, apparently have figured out which roads get them their 'officially blessed' requirement.

But as MG says, what do we non Notary Publics do??

The criminal records check is Certified by the Florda Department of Law to be a true document.

Mike, is this what you did with your criminal check -- had it "certified?" But had the medical record (signature upon) notarized? Is this what the Thai Embassy specifically asked for?

Just curious, because my feeling (before your posts) were that the term 'notarized' was being misused by the Thais, and was their blanket term for "officially blessed." You, with your background, apparently have figured out which roads get them their 'officially blessed' requirement.

But as MG says, what do we non Notary Publics do??

Jim, MG

I asked that the Criminal Check be Certified which essentially allows it to be introduced into a Court of Law on its own. I Notarized the Medical Certificate for my Dr. essentially stating that the Dr. did indeed sign the certificate. A Notarized document is sort of one step below a Certified one because typically only the Clerk of the Court and certain other Legal Agencies (those dealing directly with the Courts) such as Law Enforcement can Certify a document is a true document.

If I was not a Notary my Dr. would have had to find a notary to witness his signature. Typically, Dr's offices have at least one person on staff to notarize documents. My Dr' has a small practice and does not.

The Consular Officer at the Embassy actually told me that the Criminal check had to be Certified and the Medical Certificate needed to be Notarized. All I can say is that is what I was told to do.

It is not very difficult at all if you think about it. The Law Enforcement Agency does the certifying as part of their regular duties at no additional cost. The Dr's office will usually have someone available to notarize his/her signature. All you have to do is collect up the documents and send them to the Embassy along with the other documents they want.

Hope the above helps a little.

Mike

• 1 year later...
Hi all. This is only my second post to this forum but thought I could provide some up-to-date info regarding the Non-Immigrant Type O-A Multiple Entry Visa for those of you applying in the U.S. I reside in Tampa Florida (Honorary Counsel in Miami) but chose to deal directly with the Embassy in Washington DC after receiving some questionable information from the Honorary Counsel's Office. The Consular Officer (at the Embassy) asked me what I was going to do in Thailand, to which I replied RETIRE. He asked my age (59) and then asked if I had reviewed the Embassy website (I had). He then asked me to send in the following:

1. Passports

2. Application form w/photos (3 original forms)

3. Biographic form (original + 2 copies)

4. Medical Certificate (notarized original + 2 copies)

5. Criminal Background Check (certified original + 2 copies)

6. Latest Bank Statement (showing at least $20K original + 2 copies)

7. Money Order to cover costs

I also enclosed a Express Mail envelope and preaddressed label, and Thai Marriage Certificate (original). I sent the package out via overnight Express Mail on 1/27/05 and received our passports with Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant Type O-A visas on 2/5/05.

I found the whole process pretty easy.

I assume my wife and I will be good for a 1 year stay in Thailand (reporting in to Immigration) WITHOUT having to make the much talked about Visa Run every 90 days.

We will be leaving from Tampa on 2/26 for Bangkok and then on to Udon Thani where we will begin the task of building our home. Any comments, suggestions, advise, or questions would be appreciated.

Amazing. I used fdimike's posted experience as a guideline and got unbelievable service from the Thai Embassy in Washington DC. I sent my passport, application forms, medical certificate (gave my doctor plenty of time to get it notarized), criminal background check (certified original), latest bank statement which showed more than the required 800,000 Baht, and a money order for $125 by Federal Express Next Day Air on Monday, 8/28/06, and just now (8/31/06) received an Express Mail envelope with the Non-Immigrant Type O-A Multiple Entry Visa which is valid for one year. I realize that I will be required to check in with Immigration every 90 days, of course.

If you send three of everything (original plus two copies), you should be on your way. Embassy lady said they no longer require the Biographic Form. Looks like that form applies to Laos or Cambodian refugees anyway.

I'm glad that I didn't follow the Miami Honorary Consulate's misinformed directions. Lady that answered told me that I needed to send copies of my ROUNDTRIP plane tickets even though I told her I was applying for a retirement visa. Also, she told me to send $125 for the visa plus $75 for costs so they could send everything to Bangkok. I heard enough and decided to follow fdimike's path.

My wife, two cats, and I will be leaving Florida on Sept. 20th for Udon retirement life.

THANK YOU to fdimike. :o

Ron

Edited by polehawk

Hi all. This is only my second post to this forum but thought I could provide some up-to-date info regarding the Non-Immigrant Type O-A Multiple Entry Visa for those of you applying in the U.S. I reside in Tampa Florida (Honorary Counsel in Miami) but chose to deal directly with the Embassy in Washington DC after receiving some questionable information from the Honorary Counsel's Office. The Consular Officer (at the Embassy) asked me what I was going to do in Thailand, to which I replied RETIRE. He asked my age (59) and then asked if I had reviewed the Embassy website (I had). He then asked me to send in the following:

1. Passports

2. Application form w/photos (3 original forms)

3. Biographic form (original + 2 copies)

4. Medical Certificate (notarized original + 2 copies)

5. Criminal Background Check (certified original + 2 copies)

6. Latest Bank Statement (showing at least $20K original + 2 copies)

7. Money Order to cover costs

I also enclosed a Express Mail envelope and preaddressed label, and Thai Marriage Certificate (original). I sent the package out via overnight Express Mail on 1/27/05 and received our passports with Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant Type O-A visas on 2/5/05.

I found the whole process pretty easy.

I assume my wife and I will be good for a 1 year stay in Thailand (reporting in to Immigration) WITHOUT having to make the much talked about Visa Run every 90 days.

We will be leaving from Tampa on 2/26 for Bangkok and then on to Udon Thani where we will begin the task of building our home. Any comments, suggestions, advise, or questions would be appreciated.

Amazing. I used fdimike's posted experience as a guideline and got unbelievable service from the Thai Embassy in Washington DC. I sent my passport, application forms, medical certificate (gave my doctor plenty of time to get it notarized), criminal background check (certified original), latest bank statement which showed more than the required 800,000 Baht, and a money order for $125 by Federal Express Next Day Air on Monday, 8/28/06, and just now (8/31/06) received an Express Mail envelope with the Non-Immigrant Type O-A Multiple Entry Visa which is valid for one year. I realize that I will be required to check in with Immigration every 90 days, of course.

If you send three of everything (original plus two copies), you should be on your way. Embassy lady said they no longer require the Biographic Form. Looks like that form applies to Laos or Cambodian refugees anyway.

I'm glad that I didn't follow the Miami Honorary Consulate's misinformed directions. Lady that answered told me that I needed to send copies of my ROUNDTRIP plane tickets even though I told her I was applying for a retirement visa. Also, she told me to send $125 for the visa plus $75 for costs so they could send everything to Bangkok. I heard enough and decided to follow fdimike's path.

My wife, two cats, and I will be leaving Florida on Sept. 20th for Udon retirement life.

THANK YOU to fdimike. :o

Ron

With your O-A in hand you won't have to do 90 day visa runs. You will be granted a one year stay on arrival at the airport.

• 4 months later...

Hi All. I searched for the right thread to post this & didn't see it in the first 14 pages - so here goes. The thread I wanted is entitled "Switching from Thai Spouse Visa to Retirement Visa".

Wanted to tell you all about my experience. I went down on 11 Jan. Wife had run around & gotten all the paperwork in hand as in years gone by. I was about 10 years in on a spouse visa. (Supporting my Thai family). We waited an hour & a half until finally our number was called (Suan Plu). While waiting I got to looking at our joint bank book. I said "You know Hon they could reject us if they want to be tough cuz our balance fell below 400k in the last 90 days." Once we got seated the lady spoke to my wife & they sort of went down the check list to see that all copies & everything was in order. I was asked to sign various photocopies. This all took around 20 minutes. Right at the end I told the lady "I want to ask you a question".

Ok she says. "If I want to switch to retirement visa do I have to leave the country?" Heck no she says - I can do it now. WOW!!!

I mean there is no question that we met the 800k 90 days rule - we didn't. So to make a long story short - she whips out a bottle of correcting fluid & starts altering stuff. And Best of All - they issued the visa right on the spot. No coming back in 30 days - out over done Next.

I thought Lopburi & a few others might be interested in my experience.

For the record - I have never had to report every 90 days & the officer never told me I have to.

I have no ideas if the silly coups & investment law changes or bombs on New Year have anything to do with this sudden welcoming with open arms or what. This was just way too easy. Regards Rick the Prick USA citizen. My age is 55 years.

Edited by dotcom

Hi All. I searched for the right thread to post this & didn't see it in the first 14 pages - so here goes. The thread I wanted is entitled "Switching from Thai Spouse Visa to Retirement Visa".

Wanted to tell you all about my experience. I went down on 11 Jan. Wife had run around & gotten all the paperwork in hand as in years gone by. I was about 10 years in on a spouse visa. (Supporting my Thai family). We waited an hour & a half until finally our number was called (Suan Plu). While waiting I got to looking at our joint bank book. I said "You know Hon they could reject us if they want to be tough cuz our balance fell below 400k in the last 90 days." Once we got seated the lady spoke to my wife & they sort of went down the check list to see that all copies & everything was in order. I was asked to sign various photocopies. This all took around 20 minutes. Right at the end I told the lady "I want to ask you a question".

Ok she says. "If I want to switch to retirement visa do I have to leave the country?" Heck no she says - I can do it now. WOW!!!

I mean there is no question that we met the 800k 90 days rule - we didn't. So to make a long story short - she whips out a bottle of correcting fluid & starts altering stuff. And Best of All - they issued the visa right on the spot. No coming back in 30 days - out over done Next.

I thought Lopburi & a few others might be interested in my experience.

For the record - I have never had to report every 90 days & the officer never told me I have to.

I have no ideas if the silly coups & investment law changes or bombs on New Year have anything to do with this sudden welcoming with open arms or what. This was just way too easy. Regards Rick the Prick USA citizen. My age is 55 years.

Great well done but I think lucky !

Bear in mind though that the rules say 800K so next year at renewal you might not be so lucky and might have to go back to the spouse visa if you don't have the 800K.

At that time you might not be grandfatherred for the 400K either and need to come up with 40K income proof between you and your wife

So what exactly did you have for proof of income/savings? If you had 800k I would expect that to be acceptable without 3 month rule as you were changing reason - not a new applicant. If they have proof of 65k per month income that would be acceptable. If they have a combination of income/deposit that meets 800k that would be acceptable.

But you seem to indicate an account with only 400k was accepted and you have no proof of income? In that case I would say you were very lucky. Also was the account joint or just in your name?

As for the 90 day reports they do not normally advise or check on that.

Joint account. I really was just in the planning stages of converting my visa. And anyway I don't have a pension as such, I have a 401K meaning I got a lump sum from my company. I was not planning to get a letter from my Embassy I was going to do the lump sum in a bank account (800k). I had the normal letter from the bank that we take each year.

O yeah - sometime within the next 9 months I will get the needed funds on deposit in a Thai Bank. Feels great to be my own sponsor.

Well you met the requirements for retirement extension of stay in that case as even with a joint account you had enough money to show the 800k on deposit and as you were in the extension of stay (and well known after that long) there was no question of you needing a three month history to prove anything to them. I don't expect the three month rule to be that tight on accounts that are obviously not here today/gone tomorrow types but would try to keep it "according to the rules of the day" if possible.