Light Oil Tanker Collides With Passenger Boat On Chao Phya

george

One person missing after light oil tanker hits, sinks Oriental Chao Phya cruise

BANGKOK: -- A guest has gone missing after a light oil tanker hit and sank a cruise of Oriental Hotel Friday evening.

The accident occurred at 7 pm near the pier of the Yok Yor Restaurant in Bangkok's Klong San district.

Police said the cruise sank about 20 metres away from the river bank.

Eight guests managed to swim ashore but another has gone missing.

Rescuers were trying to locate the person.

-- The Nation 2007-10-05

this will be interesting to see how it's spun .

one would expect that a light oil tanker as a carrier of dangerous cargo would have an exclusion zone around it ??

however I'm unaware of Thailand's inland waters special regs ...................

I'm not aware of any exclusion zones for oil tankers . I know Tokyo Wan has 2 km zone for heavy LNG and LPG tankers, but those are like H bombs. If it happened in the Chao Phraya river the considerations are : does the draft of the tanker restrict it's abilty to maneuver, and which vessel is downbound?

Edited by lannarebirth

Latest report shows one person missing. Apparently, the boat sank about 20 meters from the river bank. Other guests managed to swim to shore.

One person missing after light oil tanker hits, sinks Oriental Chao Phya cruise

BANGKOK: -- A guest has gone missing after a light oil tanker hit and sank a cruise of Oriental Hotel Friday evening.

The accident occurred at 7 pm near the pier of the Yok Yor Restaurant in Bangkok's Klong San district.

Police said the cruise sank about 20 metres away from the river bank.

Eight guests managed to swim ashore but another has gone missing.

Rescuers were trying to locate the person.

-- The Nation 2007-10-05

Didn't an Oriental Hotel cruise ship burn to cinders in the middle of the night while moored a few years ago?

Actually it was a brand new dinner cruise boat that the Oriental Hotel had just bought. The crew forgot to batten down the hatches when finishing a dinner cruise and it sank right in front of the hotel. Total loss.

Didn't an Oriental Hotel cruise ship burn to cinders in the middle of the night while moored a few years ago?

Actually it was a brand new dinner cruise boat that the Oriental Hotel had just bought. The crew forgot to batten down the hatches when finishing a dinner cruise and it sank right in front of the hotel. Total loss.

I cannot believe that something like that would happen in Thailand !

:o

Yes, it's true. Boating accidents only occur in Thailand. Go figure.

:D

I've been going to that Yok Yor (Khlongsan) for years, and often see the commercial boats cruising without any lights at all!

They also seem to drive boats they way the car drivers drive on the roads, a total free for all!

I'm surprised there aren't more boat collisions!

Some things I see make me want to pinch... (mmm, not convincing enough) spray myself in the face with pepper spray to see if I'm dreaming. :D