Show Me Your Watch!

thaigerd

a nice one but to heavy for me.

Just met Donna for a coffee and we talked about you :o

When you ordered a bottle of plain water and it was the same price as a beer.

Next time in Phuket we must have a beer!

Gerd

Cheers Gerd - up for a pint anytime. :D Here is my everyday watch (not wearing the my Tag)...

sna411.jpg

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watches for many on these boards are just silly little adornments that have a minimal function in telling time but far more closely function as a symbol of marking oneself as a member of the Leisure class, sort of like those silly neckties that certain people wear, and the primary purpose is to demonstrate that the wearer does not engage in physical labor. The continued allure of fancy watches in a time when cheap quartz watches are more accurate, also demonstrates that Thorstein Veblen remains the greatest American economist of all time. :o

Nothing like a watch thread to bring out the Tesco Lotus clothing crowd.

:D

Having never even thought of shopping for clothing in a Lotus, Tesco, Walmart, or Costco, perhaps you could elaborate on this concept so we can all enjoy the humor.

Edited by Johpa

Very surprised about that many replies but it looks like most replies are coming from male members :o

After reading all your interesting replies I got hungry for "my" BOSS watch.......

Drove to Jungceylon Shopping Center in Patong where I've seen that watch on a big poster behind many other Boss watches.

The 2 "sales ladies" sitting behind the counter and eating I was the only customer. After 10 minutes they were able to get up(but I had to ask a couple of times) and I could show them my watch.

They looked around the whole place and their answer was:

"No haeb"

Gerd

what model is it you saw ?

Boss 1512131 Herren-Chronograph

0973249392.jpg

Very surprised about that many replies but it looks like most replies are coming from male members :o

After reading all your interesting replies I got hungry for "my" BOSS watch.......

Drove to Jungceylon Shopping Center in Patong where I've seen that watch on a big poster behind many other Boss watches.

The 2 "sales ladies" sitting behind the counter and eating I was the only customer. After 10 minutes they were able to get up(but I had to ask a couple of times) and I could show them my watch.

"No haeb"

Gerd

0973249392.jpg

Can supply a new one for 350 euros,.

"No haeb"

Gerd

0973249392.jpg

Can get for 249 Euros from Germany.

Watches for many on these boards are just silly little adornments that have a minimal function in telling time but far more closely function as a symbol of marking oneself as a member of the Leisure class, sort of like those silly neckties that certain people wear, and the primary purpose is to demonstrate that the wearer does not engage in physical labor. The continued allure of fancy watches in a time when cheap quartz watches are more accurate, also demonstrates that Thorstein Veblen remains the greatest American economist of all time. :o

Having never even thought of shopping for clothing in a Lotus, Tesco, Walmart, or Costco, perhaps you could elaborate on this concept so we can all enjoy the humor.

The humor is that the pretend minimalists (not saying you are one, you may be the real deal) tend to be critical of those living just beyond or well beyond their own means but don't look to see that they themselves are living beyond the means of many as well. An adornment or fancy adjective for one is not necessarily so for the other since all things are relative. There are probably more people in the world who believe that clothing from Tesco Lotus (or whatever hypermart happens to be serving the larger 'working'/'struggling' population segments in a lot of the world) is an 'adornment' and/or 'fancy' than people who believe the same about any particular brand or item. And among them, there is probably a small group with personal issues, ready to say "you're not just wearing that one size fits all Tesco t-shirt to cover your body, but clearly just marking yourself as a member of the non-homemade clothing class, sort of like those silly tube socks that certain people wear, and the primary purpose is to demonstrate that the wearer owns proper shoes. The continued allure of 'fancy' clothing in a time when cheaper products that can be homespun are better fitting, don't make use of child labor, etc. also demonstrates that Thorstein Heng remains the greatest American economist of all time.

One sees it all the time from these types, especially on web forums. There are all kinds of "reasons" not to own instead of rent a home, to own a larger home instead of a smaller one, to wear a 'nice' watch, to drive a 'nice' car, etc. UNTIL said person is doing exactly that... and then they get all quiet. It's almost like watching an infant trying to learn to self soothe. It's kind of amusing and slightly pitiful (but cute) at the same time.

Edited by Heng

The humor is that the pretend minimalists (not saying you are one, you may be the real deal) tend to be critical of those living just beyond or well beyond their own means but don't look to see that they themselves are living beyond the means of many as well. An adornment or fancy adjective for one is not necessarily so for the other since all things are relative. There are probably more people in the world who believe that clothing from Tesco Lotus (or whatever hypermart happens to be serving the larger 'working'/'struggling' population segments in a lot of the world) is an 'adornment' and/or 'fancy' than people who believe the same about any particular brand or item. And among them, there is probably a small group with personal issues, ready to say "you're not just wearing that one size fits all Tesco t-shirt to cover your body, but clearly just marking yourself as a member of the non-homemade clothing class, sort of like those silly tube socks that certain people wear, and the primary purpose is to demonstrate that the wearer owns proper shoes. The continued allure of 'fancy' clothing in a time when cheaper products that can be homespun are better fitting, don't make use of child labor, etc. also demonstrates that Thorstein Heng remains the greatest American economist of all time.

One sees it all the time from these types, especially on web forums. There are all kinds of "reasons" not to own instead of rent a home, to own a larger home instead of a smaller one, to wear a 'nice' watch, to drive a 'nice' car, etc. UNTIL said person is doing exactly that... and then they get all quiet. It's almost like watching an infant trying to learn to self soothe. It's kind of amusing and slightly pitiful (but cute) at the same time.

less of the philosophy heng , its way above our heads , just show us your damm watch , so we can categorize , compartmentalize , criticize and condemn you just like we do to all the rest. :D

Edited by taxexile

I had always lusted for a Rolex (yes shallow) ...but relented at London Airport on my way back to LOS last week and brought a Perpetual Oyster. It's certainy beautiful, but like others have said, I to personally don't like jewlery on men, and wear nothing else but a wedding ring, funnily enough though my missus seems to like jewlery as long as she is the one wearing it :D

I will probably regret buying it in 20 years when I run out of dosh :D

But I could be dead by then, and I would never have owned a really good watch :o

<deleted> are you talking about? You are not making any sense to me with your talk of tube socks and "proper'' shoes. All I see is that my reference to Veblen went way over your head. I clearly made the mistake of over-estimating the average readership here. But hey, if it makes you feel bigger to criticize or belittle me for any reason, even reasons like those above that I can't quite parse, then feel free to imagine me in any manner that allows you to compensate for your own self-imagined inadequacies.

less of the philosophy heng , its way above our heads , just show us your damm watch , so we can categorize , compartmentalize , criticize and condemn you just like we do to all the rest. :D

Oh all right...

417P4GEG1GL._AA280_.jpg

It's a bit bulky but it keeps time well and works as a good icebreaker.

:o

Edited by Heng

<deleted> are you talking about? You are not making any sense to me with your talk of tube socks and "proper'' shoes. All I see is that my reference to Veblen went way over your head. I clearly made the mistake of over-estimating the average readership here. But hey, if it makes you feel bigger to criticize or belittle me for any reason, even reasons like those above that I can't quite parse, then feel free to imagine me in any manner that allows you to compensate for your own self-imagined inadequacies.

Must have touched a nerve there, surely there's no need to swear on this bright and sunny Sunday morning. You'll note that I was not criticizing or belittling you. I was commenting on common critiques of others' lifestyles and consumer choices.

Edited by Heng

I like mechanical (automatic) watches and got a Seico 5. It's fast, maybe 40 seconds a day but should last for may years to come. What would be your price point? I heard, original Rolexes are cheapest in Singapore. And a man has not few options to wear je (...) If you can afford one, get a good Swiss brand watch. One problem is that the minute you walk out of the shop it will be worth a lot less. ** Some buy watches from jewellers on eBay.

Personally, I would NOT bother shopping for a used watch. Not sure if the photo of the "Omega De Ville" I bought could be uploaded.

post-7704-1191719972_thumb.jpg

Yeah buddy, don't you be starting up on the tube socks. They go nicely with my flip flop's. :D

It is nice to have a good watch but it is better to have one that you wont be killed over. I have had the same "Longines" for over 10 years. I paid $150.00 for it then. Do you know what I can sell it for today?

$150.00

It's good enough and a very good looking watch and it keeps time perfectly.

Ok, im feeling a bit ...drun... happy. I'll tell you all a little story.

I found a great deal on Sukhumvit, for a "Rolex" watch. It was the grand total of 800 baht. I bought it for my friend. I gave it to him and you should have seen the look on his face. he was so overjoyed and told me that I shouldn't have and he never had a "Rolex" before. I told him that it was no problem he is my friend and he should have a Rolex.

A month later he came to me and said that the battery was dead and where can he take it to get a new one, as he could not just take it anywhere. I told him" it's ok you really can take it anywhere". No No No he said not THIS watch :o Being the friend I am, I said I will get him a new battery.

mine is a Longines Evidenza stainless steel bracelet with triple safety clasp and push-piece opening mechanism, water-resistant to 30 meters. Bought in Sydney two years ago. I already had to change the quartz battery after 20 months, apart from that I'm quite happy with it.

post-7932-1191721994_thumb.jpg

Be careful when shopping for a Rolex. I had it directly from a beach road watch vendor that the Thailand made Rolex is no good, BUT the Taiwan Rolex is VERY good. The Taiwan made Rolex will last more than two years.

For the boardroom and other swanky executive functions I prefer the Snoopy Analogue. When I'm Extreme Rock Climbing or Pro-Celebrity Boxing, I don the Elvis Presley 30 Year Commemorative Digital.

post-32068-1191722800.jpg

Edited by kmart

To be honest... I love watches. No I don't have anything too fancy, I can't see spending a lot of money on them. For example a Rollex. Even if it did last 20 years, I could own maybe 2 Siekos in that amount of time. So buying based on longevity is really not that of an incentive.

Leather bands in the climate is a bad idea.

Just to be semi-patriotic I bought several Siam Swiss watches. (Between the wife and I 6 to be exact) They run around 3 -8K Baht, and to be honest.... I give them a poor review. They look fairly nice, but as a daily user they s-uck big time. The finish wears off quickly, and they have horrid water resistance. I have already replaced the battery on 2 of them. One has been repaired after being dropped on the floor by my 2 yr old. It just died, locked up etc. I have another Siam Swiss in the shop right now, I stuck my hand into an aquarium, and that alone forced moisture up into it.

I recently bought a used Sieko 5 from a repair kiosk, for around 600 baht. Works just fine, and it is water resistant.

One day, I may own an Omega.... that is the one I have my heart set on. They don't scream "LOOK AT ME" like a Rolex does.

"No haeb"

Gerd

0973249392.jpg

Can get for 249 Euros from Germany.

This ones in thailand !.. i converted as i thought it was your currency,.if you wait 6 months you will get one new for 99 euros, they drop like stones

Be careful when shopping for a Rolex. I had it directly from a beach road watch vendor that the Thailand made Rolex is no good, BUT the Taiwan Rolex is VERY good. The Taiwan made Rolex will last more than two years.

Mate of mine bought a rolex in iraq for 50quid. Quite a good looking copy, but thought to himself what the hel_l. Anyways got back to UK and had it appraised and it was an actual rolex worth 10K quid. :D He wished he had bought a few more. :o

Dude I enjoy your posts, but take a chill pill, wow you are really getting out there. :D

I have had my Longine for 7 or 8 years now A$550, all Ok until I moved to Thailand (2004) I have had to replace most of the insides due to Moisture from the heat here. I took it off and bought a 100bht watch , when it stops working I will chuck it away and buy another 100 bht watch. Longine was supposed to be water resistant. I don't think so. The Longine I don't wear anymore. Why do people want an expensive watch & if you do people will think it's a fake anyway.

mine is a Longines Evidenza stainless steel bracelet with triple safety clasp and push-piece opening mechanism, water-resistant to 30 meters. Bought in Sydney two years ago. I already had to change the quartz battery after 20 months, apart from that I'm quite happy with it.

ok, here are the two watches I wear. The Panerai is my new favorite, it gets worn everyday. Heavy, and I love it. The other is a 50th annivers. sub, note the green bezel. It's real sweet, and I love to show it off, but there were only very few made so this is something that must stay in the winder box more than I want it to. My next watch will be a Breitling. The big one, 47mm. I want the Bentley line.

ok, now I'm going to try attaching pics.

p.s. I was always the simplest of people, didn't even want a wedding ring, but hey, a nice watch is something I can appreciate, and now watches are of interest to me. I guess I'm getting older, and can enjoy what I choose to without anyone elses input. Cheers.

p.p.s. That BOSS model IS very classy. I just saw it for $249 euros online germany.

post-51873-1191733635_thumb.jpg

post-51873-1191734100_thumb.jpg

:bah:

Dude I enjoy your posts, but take a chill pill, wow you are really getting out there. :D

Nothing like a watch thread to bring out the pretentious twittering either. :D

I love my Citizen Eco-Drive watches. Solar-powered (actually a dim 25W light is sufficient to charge), they have an internal storage battery- put in a cave for a month and it will still keep perfect time.

For daily use:

post-23786-1191734963_thumb.jpg

For dress use:

post-23786-1191734998.jpg

zenith el primero rainbow flyback - nice watch. i was eyeing it recently on timezone.

panerai can be quite handsome but overpriced imo.

never took a liking to brietling. maybe its the french thing also ...pilots watches other than the military style (ie iwc pilots) dont do a thing for me.

someone should start a new thread - swiss automatic watches. they are the only ones that really count, perhaps the grand seiko as well.

Dude I enjoy your posts, but take a chill pill, wow you are really getting out there. :o

Thank you, got something even better, and thanks again. :D

On topic, thinking about updating my old G-Shock with a G-Shock Atomic Tough Solar (you can search on Amazon with those keywords to bring up several) for sports and recreational use... an interesting twist on the "automatic" charm but for digital watches, with a solar powered rechargeable battery that you supposedly don't have to ever replace. Having that atomic time update is convenient for when I'm stateside. Priced for all budgets as well as I don't think they even make one that is over $300.

Tech been around several years already and have yet to see any complaints about the technology in any of the forums.