Sending Boxes Overseas

bungalowbill

I need to send a couple of boxes of personal items back the U.S from Chiang Mai.

What is the cheapest option, the post office or a shipping company?

I don't care how long it takes.

depends on weght. under 30 kilos and 1.5 metres the post ofice is my choice, after that you are into serious money by air freight as the box is volumed up ,.by sea is then the option if there is no hurry,.

"Thanks..for both of your replies..good web site of the post office prices. Thanks"

Bungalow Barney,

I also advise when you send, you affix a bill of contents that declares their worth too. I do some commercial of small parcels and the last year or so homeland security has held up my deliveries quite a few times!! (Bastard, GW!) But in the cases when I have affixed the 'bai pasdu' it has gone thru customs rather quickly. I've asked about this and the Thai PO guys say that it's just easier for customs to reckon what's inside, whereas otherwise, especially with a tracking #, but no bai pasdu, they suspect you've tried to ship valuables under the radar. But that's just their experience and word of mouth, added to me telling you that I've actually seen photos of packages I've sent opened, then resealed with Homeland Security tape!

BTW, anything over 2 kilos will require said bai pasdu (pronounced more like bai pass(ah) -du).

Good luck.

...and I'm sure you know I called you Barney as a tip of the hat to the Late Great Don Knotts.

Thanks Realthaideal,

wasn't that a great show!

Good info. I opted for a shipping company. I had 12 kilos which fit into one big box. Total cost was 2,655 baht. A very good deal which takes 2-3 months. I'm not in a hurry,. No customs forms were required, I just had to write "personal items shipping home."

This was the best deal for me since I don't care when it gets there.

Here are some more prices:

Post office:

950baht per kilo to the US (not sure how long it takes)

Shipping company:

By boat to the US 5 Kg minimum 1,330 baht(arrives in 2-3 months)

By boat to the US 10 Kg 2,170 baht(arrives 2-3 months)

If your in a hurry UPS will ship 5 Kg to the US for 3,738 baht(arrives in 4 days)

Edited by bungalowbill

The company card says Shipping Center 455, It's a small office at 80/11 Tapae rd soi/1. If you know the night bazaar area it's on the soi right next to a go-go bar I don't remember the name of .... ..Directly across the street from the new D2 hotel

Phone number is 085-9777-599, or 053-819043...MR Ginn runs it and he speaks pretty good English