Limit To Get A 30 Day Visa Stamp In Mae Sai ?

No, “visa-runs” are not directly illegal, but they are a violation of the intentions in Thai Law on Immigration.

1. 30 days permit-to-stay granted on arrival (which isn’t a visa) is intended for tourists’ coming to Thailand on a shorter vacation.

2. Tourist visas issued by the Thai Embassies/Consulates abroad are intended for tourists coming here for a longer vacation (more than 30 days), and have to be applied for before entering the Kingdom.

Both are intended for tourists only, not for people coming to live or work here.

The Law doesn’t say anything specific about it, but there used to be a rule mentioned on a former official Immigration web site saying following (in plain English):

“You are only allowed 3 entries in a row on a Tourist Visa. After the third time you must leave the Kingdom and will not be allowed to return for 6 months”.

It has never been enforced though.

Since most foreign passports now are electronically readable, and the Royal Thai Police, under which the Royal Thai Immigration belongs, now got a nice, huge server set up in BK, things could change. All Immigration checkpoints are today online with HQ in BK, and within short time they will all get the equipment to electronically read passports. It has been tested at BK Airport for about one year, and it is now ready to be implemented countrywide.

What will happen is following:

When you approach the Immigration checkpoint, you might be taken a side, get your picture taken, be interrogated about what you are doing in Thailand, and how you are financing your stay here. And it won’t help you to show THB 20-30.000 in cash. They could be income from illegal work in Thailand. You will have to prove that you have been transferring not less than THB 20-40.000,00 a month from abroad to cover the costings of your stay, going back up to 3 months depending on your visa (3 months or 30 days permit-to-stay). If you fail to do that, you will only be granted a 5-10 days permit-to-stay to give you time to pack your things and leave Thailand (again notice how fair we are). Further you will be prohibited from entering the Kingdom again within a period of not less than 6 months . If you after those 6 months want to re-enter the Kingdom, you must on arrival prove that you got sufficient funds to finance your stay.

Now you might ask, “What's the meaning of this”? Well, Thailand got an extremely liberal Law on Immigration and for sure don't mind foreigners staying here. We do consider them a valuable contribution to our society. But we do mind having foreigners working illegal and/or running illegal businesses. They are not that welcome. And them we want to catch, and hopefully we will. Foreigners staying under such conditions in the Kingdom should start counting their days here.

Finally you are asking about deportation. To get deported from Thailand your offence must be very serious. It’s mostly for people doing serious crimes like overstaying long term, shooting their neighbours, a.s.o. In the case about visa-runs we’ll give you 5-10 days after which you’ll have to leave. But if you don’t do that, if you misuse our fairness in that regard, then you’ll be blacklisted and prohibited from returning for a longer period. Other consequences: If you have been asked to leave the Kingdom, and prohibited from re-entering for a period, you’ll probably find it extremely difficult to obtain a new visa at a Thai Embassy, even after the mentioned period is passed. (The last is only what we have been informed by people experienced it).

We do hope this answers your questions. If not, then let’s know.

All the best

This post has been edited by Admin1 on May 16 2004, 04:16 PM

--------------------

Above from Nong Khai Immigration..........think it says it all ,back to back 30 days are not illegal but go against the intention of the Law......think a lot of it comes down to how the officer you deal with feels on the day.

“You are only allowed 3 entries in a row on a Tourist Visa. After the third time you must leave the Kingdom and will not be allowed to return for 6 months”.
It has never been enforced though.

Well, whatever you guys write here, the last quote says it all:

It has never been enforced though!

And I would like to add. It never will!

Whatever you guys says!

And it doesn't matter or change anything with the information about new computers, etc. The Thais are never going to enforce their own rules. They want next year 12 million people coming here, and in year 2010 they want 20 million coming in (or whatever their target is).

Why would they stop YOU from coming/staying here?

So stay calm, whatever the wisemen on this forum says. Wait and see.

They want next year 12 million people coming here, and in year 2010 they want 20 million coming in (or whatever their target is).
In that number did they specify how many they want returning again and again on back to back 30 day Tourist Visas?

THe previous posters points seem valid.

Surely Thailand offers MANY visa types to those that want to stay longer.

Seems the rules are quite clear and fair?

Whatever you guys says!

Would you like to make a money bet on that :o ??

<outside of Thai soil of course>

CT

They want next year 12 million people coming here, and in year 2010 they want 20 million coming in (or whatever their target is).

In that number did they specify how many they want returning again and again on back to back 30 day Tourist Visas?

THe previous posters points seem valid.

Surely Thailand offers MANY visa types to those that want to stay longer.

Seems the rules are quite clear and fair?

Whatever you guys says!

Would you like to make a money bet on that :o ??

<outside of Thai soil of course>

CT

I'll bet you on Thai soil because I've been known to do a little online betting too eventhough that is 'illegal' too.

Everyine is always crying wolf about how the 30 day walkers are about to be told to leave. AND IT NEVER HAPPENS. Of course the official line is that its not legal, but thagt's hardly relevant when reality operates to the contrary. I've asked immigration in Chiang Mai and Mae Sai. They always tell me that there's no limit. Now I'm on a non-im now so it doesn't matter apart from the fact that I'm sick of the scare mongerers here. I watch countless farangs go to the border each and every month for 12, 24, 36 months in a row and more.

I will say that its possible they might change (or enforce) the rules at some point. But I can not believe that the walkers will be blacklisted. I WILL BET THAT THEY ARE TOLD TO LEAVE AND COME BACK WITH A REAL VISA. And that is all.

Unless you have first hand information from someone high up, it is unfair and irresponsible to come here and scare the sh&t out of new comers.

Yes, you're better off with a real visa if you're going to stay long term. But if you choose to stay on 30 day stamps, overwhelming evidence and experience would lead any rational person to conclude that the walkers will be okay.

Don't worry. Be happy.

I will say that its possible they might change (or enforce) the rules at some point. But I can not believe that the walkers will be blacklisted. I WILL BET THAT THEY ARE TOLD TO LEAVE AND COME BACK WITH A REAL VISA. And that is all.

Unless you have first hand information from someone high up, it is unfair and irresponsible to come here and scare the sh&t out of new comers.

Who mentioned walkers getting blacklisted? Cant see it anywhere on this thread.Now whos scaring people? :o

Who mentioned walkers getting blacklisted? Cant see it anywhere on this thread.Now whos scaring people?

Thank you ThaiFlyer. Words that would come from my mouth too :o

Not sure what the bet we be now as added value?

My bet is that Thai Immigration will start requesting 30 day permanent tourists to get correct visas soon.

CT

If a limit on 30 day stamps is enforced I would imagine a lot less tourism in Mae Sai and Mae Sot. I always stay a night in Mae Sot and eat at the restaurants there, so by depriving me of a 30 day stamp they'll be depriving a few businesses of my money (not to mention how much gets spent on the Burmese side). Imagine how it would effect Hat Yai and other southern border towns if the Malaysians(possibly Singaporeans too) if they are too limited to the amount of crossings they can make without proper visas. Unless of course the imm. only targets western countries.

Would the imm. stop 30 day walkers and force them to get visas to bring in a bit of revenue? And then the revenue given to TAT to promote the border areas that suffer a sudden decline in tourism? That would be an ass-about way of doing things to me. But.......TIT. :o

Gazza

where is a restaurant in Mae Sai!

Must be one of the worst places we have in Thailand for food?

Well, the restaurants that I go to where on the road that runs parallel with the road with the little shopping mall on it. Can't remember the names of the roads or even the names of the restaurants. But they're the country stlye places that does farang and Thai food. Come to think of it, the food wasn't all that good. Maybe that was why I headed straight to Popeyes the last time I was there. :o

The 3 kow man kai shops all close together (on the shopping mall road) are ok for a breakfast. I've had better, also had worse.

i

'bet' i believe is a word used by Westerners to imply a 'bet' not necessary to actually be a money transaction?

CTG, that's right. It's called a 'sportsman's bet'. Money doesn't change hands but it's just done for fun.

I'll bet you a Bazillion, Gazillion, Godzillion baht and 67 satang that I'm right. :o

Gazza

My bet is that Thai Immigration will start requesting 30 day permanent tourists to get correct visas soon.

Betting is ILLEGAL in Thailand. :o

You should REALLY know better <_<

there is one place betting in thailand is legal, muay thai fights inside lumpinee stadium

will 30 day entries become a thing of the past? no way...but for walkers with a passport full of back to backs there is always a chance they can be turned away and told to get a tourist visa.

there is one place betting in thailand is legal, muay thai fights inside lumpinee stadium
Do they have official betting booth in there or is it only person-to-person betting?

I remember from a few years back, when they sent the Thai top policemen Seri Temiyavej into the Royal Turf Club, to stop the illegal betting on the Horse track. (I think they have legal betting too). He didn't succeed, a well-known politician used his influence to remove him.

will 30 day entries become a thing of the past? no way...but for walkers with a passport full of back to backs there is always a chance they can be turned away and told to get a tourist visa.

True!

Do they have official betting booth in there or is it only person-to-person betting?

True!

no booth, bets are placed with the men holding fistfulls of baht. they are everywhere inside and outside the army-owned stadium.

Who mentioned walkers getting blacklisted? Cant see it anywhere on this thread.Now whos scaring people? :o

There's been many, many threads on the topic going back over a year ago. Search the site if you have the time. Going back to APEC, we were told that the deportation of the walkers was imminent. Get out now! Go get a real visa and a new passport! Thai immigration has had enough! They only want the wealthy visitors! Hurry! Hurry!

IT WAS ALL BULLS*IT.

Once again, you're better off on a non-im if you are staying here for a long time, but chances are you will be fine on 30 day stays. Be aware that immigration could decide to limit 30 day stamps at any time. But so far there's no reason to believe they will do that.

I have a 30 day stamp and two 2-month (with extensions 3 months) tourist visas. I'm about to get either a 3rd tourist visa or my business visa, as soon as i have all my paperwork together. So far no problems.

Rainman, there is nothing wrong with that.

The original post was talking at quite another level.

The people why border hop every month cannot really be described as tourists.

They are illegal immigrants, who are exploiting a loophole in the law.

No one can guarantee that the loophole will not be plugged.

The computerisation of the Immigration system will make it much easier,

and when that happens quite a few people will be in for a rude shock

Right, but then again why would Thailand want to block (so-called) "tourists" from spending money here? I used to go on back-to-back 30 day B1/B2 stamps to the US before September 11th with no problems, because i have a business there but most of the times i never even mentioned it to the border patrol. After 9/11 they started refusing people for the dumbest reasons, including me. I got refused 3 times before they even told me i had to get another visa class (for no reason, too) - after which everything was ok again. But will i keep spending my money in the US? Not unless i have to ...and then they wondered why foreigners spending money in the US dropped so much. What if Thailand did that? I'm sure they know better than to block foreigners from spending money and boosting their economy.

after which everything was ok again. But will i keep spending my money in the US? Not unless i have to ...and then they wondered why foreigners spending money in the US dropped so much. What if Thailand did that? I'm sure they know better than to block foreigners from spending money and boosting their economy.

Maybe it is not ALL about money :o