Limit To Get A 30 Day Visa Stamp In Mae Sai ?

I agree with you there, but either way it would kill the tourism economy, which aren't just hotels, if word spread around they were blocking people from entering.

You agree then make a mad statement too.

TOURISTS that spend money TOURING and staing in different countries on their annual holidays DO NOT go in and out of Thailand or anywhere else 6-10 times in a row. They work in real jobs back home to get money to go on holiday with!@!

Pretty well every country likes those guys.

What Thailand appears to be saying is TOURISTS will be granted visas on entry.

Perpetual tourists are NOT Tourists and should choose>>

A. Apply for the correct visa

B. Stay away.

Is that not correct

Rainman. Since you came here you face has changed a lot? Does the sun make it do that?

Cute Thai Girl, when I was living in CM a couple of years ago, I did a combo of tourist visas and extensions, and then went on long stretches of 30-day consecutive walking because it was just easier than going out of the country for a new visa. Managed to stay over 3 years with those strategies. Now I wonder if I can still do it.

I didn't consider myself an undesirable for doing that; I was not working, just putting my money into the Thai economy.

Tourist visa now seems less attractive than ever and not worth doing, due to the ridiculous new 1900 baht price for a one month extension. I simply refuse to pay that.

A retirement visa is something I might have considered, but not if I have to put 800.000 baht in a Thai bank at 0.5% interest. That amounts to at least USD 1000 of lost bank interest a year, considering that you can get 5.5% or higher in the US.

So I'm now thinking of maybe trying the consecutive 30 day visa runs and see if I can get away with it. But I remember how exhausting those were too, every 30 days (actually every 29 days, since they cheat you out of a day). Maybe I will live in Chiang Rai if I choose to try that route.

Or if all else fails, Vietnam beckons.

Thailand has got a huge tourism infrastructure that depends on a certain number of tourists a year, and the longer they can stay, the more money Thailand makes. With Toxin's new restrictions, I don't see how it can do anything but reduce tourism.

Loong, but they still let you back in for a 4th 30-days?

I done my Mai Sot 30 day run on the 16th Aug. It was the 6th b2b in a row. First one was to Ranong the rest all at Mae Sot.

The only thing that was different this time was, they not only asked for my home phone number again (to write it on the TM card) but they also wanted to know the exact home address.

Now, because there's such a piddly, little, miniscule space in which to write an address, I naturally always shorten it. But the imm. official wanted to know the name of the muubaan and the number of soi it's located on, which he then scribbled onto the TM card.

Gazza

So I'm now thinking of maybe trying the consecutive 30 day visa runs and see if I can get away with it. But I remember how exhausting those were too, every 30 days (actually every 29 days, since they cheat you out of a day). Maybe I will live in Chiang Rai if I choose to try that route.

Exhausting?? From Chiang Mai?? What was the rush for?

I ride from BKK to Mae Sot on my m/c every month and make a short holiday of it. I'll stay a night in Mae Sot and possibly stay somewhere else too on the way back to bkk. :o

Marsbloke

They let me back in on my 4th & 5th trip across the border at Mae Sai. You have to give the photocopy of your passport on the way out. They just issue the 30 days when you come back into Mae Sai, no problem.

Think I will go for a non immigrant from now on. £90 for 1 year multi entry, only have to leave every 3 months. Makes more sense now that they've put up 60 day tourist visa to £25 per entry. Also makes me a bit nervous that they may suddenly chuck me out for 6 months.

Incidently, what is the difference between the non immigrant visa you can get at any consulate and the non-immigrant with the letters following. This I understand you can only get from an Embassy. In 2 years time, I may go for a retirement visa if they don't move the goalposts. I suppose I have to get the initial visa from the embassy in London. Is this true?

Marsbloke

They let me back in on my 4th & 5th trip across the border at Mae Sai. You have to give the photocopy of your passport on the way out. They just issue the 30 days when you come back into Mae Sai, no problem.

Think I will go for a non immigrant from now on. £90 for 1 year multi entry, only have to leave every 3 months. Makes more sense now that they've put up 60 day tourist visa to £25 per entry. Also makes me a bit nervous that they may suddenly chuck me out for 6 months.

Incidently, what is the difference between the non immigrant visa you can get at any consulate and the non-immigrant with the letters following. This I understand you can only get from an Embassy. In 2 years time, I may go for a retirement visa if they don't move the goalposts. I suppose I have to get the initial visa from the embassy in London. Is this true?

all non immigrant visas visas are going to have a category. your non immigrant visa will be an O or OA, B etc. depending on what you apply and are approved for.

you mentioned certain visas are only available from the embassy in london. actually you can get a visa from any thai consulate outside thailand if it is approved. as mentioned before the hull consulate by mail is recommended while in the UK.

2 years from now you should visit thai immigration and apply for a one year extension based on retirement.

Gazza, yeah, I found it exhausting usually because I always did it and returned the same day. Also I'm a nightowl and could never get more than a few hours sleep the night before. So it was always pretty tiring.

Well I wonder is there some easy way to get a non immigrant visa? See, I don't work in Thailand, and don't study. Hmmm....if I got a part time teaching job could I get a non-imm? Like really part time...couple of hours a month?

Hi again

So all non- immigrant visas have actegory, can you tell me what category I have to apply for as a single man, not working in Thailand. I understand that you can get a visa from Hull, UK. You need to have someone write a letter to state that they will accept responsibility if you have any probs in Thailand and will pay to ket you back to UK. I cannot seem to locate the website for the Thai Consulate in Hull. Anyone know the website address?

I used to get my torist visas in Cardiff, very easy, but I understand that they don't deal with non-immigranr visas.

In fact any info is very usefull

Thanks

Hi again

So all non- immigrant visas have actegory, can you tell me what category I have to apply for as a single man, not working in Thailand. I understand that you can get a visa from Hull, UK. You need to have someone write a letter to state that they will accept responsibility if you have any probs in Thailand and will pay to ket you back to UK. I cannot seem to locate the website for the Thai Consulate in Hull. Anyone know the website address?

I used to get my torist visas in Cardiff, very easy, but I understand that they don't deal with non-immigranr visas.

In fact any info is very usefull

Thanks

a non immigrant B visa is for someone that will using their stay for business, an O is usually for support of a thai. you will need to stick with a tourist visa since you won't be either of those.

or if you set up a company in the uk to export goods from thailand back to the uk.then you can get non imm b visa by using the uk company letterhead.

i have a company in the uk and was told by the consulate that the letter could be from my company explaining that i would be in thailand purchasing stock to export back to the uk. which i will be selling via the internet.

good set up because i will be travelling back approx every 3 mths

Huski

I found the Thai Consulate at Hull,s website now and they do seem to refer to a non-immigrant visa that has no category letter.

Look at http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/Bvisas.htm

If I say that I am going to visit friends (gf) I should be able to get this visa, shouldn't I? I will need someone to supply a guarantor letter though, but this should not be a problem. Then I will only need to leave Thailand every 90 days. As i intend to spend 2 or 3 months each year in UK this should not be a problem for me.

Kenkannif

QUOTE (loong @ Mon 2004-08-23, 14:30:25)

^ Yes, they do!

Sorry, my mistake, I checked on the Cardiff website and they do do non-immigrant visas, just not the category O-A. I just get a bit confused by the category letters.

Huski

I found the Thai Consulate at Hull,s website now and they do seem to refer to a non-immigrant visa that has no category letter.

Look at http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/Bvisas.htm

If I say that I am going to visit friends (gf) I should be able to get this visa, shouldn't I? I will need someone to supply a guarantor letter though, but this should not be a problem. Then I will only need to leave Thailand every 90 days. As i intend to spend 2 or 3 months each year in UK this should not be a problem for me.

even though the URL shows T for tourist on one visa page and B on the other here are the categories:

non immigrant O

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/Bvisas.htm[/url]]EVIDENCE OF REASON FOR VISIT TO THAILAND:-

a) Visiting spouse: Provide copy of marriage certificate (in English).

b.) Visiting friends: Provide written guarantee (see below).

c) Retirement: Contact this office for details but please note that until further notice all applications for “O-A” Long Stay visas must be submitted to the Royal Thai Embassy, 30 Queen’s Gate, London SW7 5JB (tel: 020 7589 2944).

d) Charity work: Copy of letter of appointment from recognised charity.

non immigrant B

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/Bvisas.htm[/url]]e) BUSINESS:

i) Letter from company confirming employment/appointment and stating reason for visit.

AND

ii) Letter from company confirming that it will meet all expenses of visitor during stay in Thailand including costs of repatriation to UK.

you are correct that the entry will be for 90 days.

for the many posts on thiavisa from members obtaining non immigrant visas from hull, i would say it is a very good chance you can take care of everything by mail. let us know how it turns out.

The Consul in Cardiff is a great guy. Go for it.

there is another recommendation for you loong

btw dr. what visa category does charity fall under O or B?

Thanks for info

Think that I will give the consulate at Cardiff a ring to make sure that they can give me a non- imm with my situation. It is easier to do it there in person as i have to go to Wales anyway.

As for them being great at Cardiff, this is absolutely true. I've always found them very helpful, efficient and friendly. The ladies I deal with are Welsh tho, not Thai.

If they were Thai, I think I would have to leave the word efficient out. I thik that efficient, same as safety and common sense don't translate to Thai. Part of what makes Thailand fun